Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Yamaha or Honda Generators

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #1

Has anyone tries a Portable generator on their Redwood? We have a 36RE and think of installing a generator but undecided if a portable will do A 6300 watt Should do the trick for a lot less money since we will not be useing it a lot. Or we can have an Onan Installed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #2

the 6300 will run everything , Yamaha also has a 4500w inverter. I would not even consider anything other then Yamaha or honda when it comes to poratable units. I have a yamaha 2800W inverter its to small to run anything larger then 13000 btu AC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waltgolf3

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #3

How is the noise level of your unit and do you know the decibel rateing. That is my main concern.

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #4

The problem is those are not designed to be on-board systems. They can be stored in the front, but to run them they need to be on the ground or in the pickup, and they are heavy (the large wattage). The Onan is plug and play with the Redwood generator prep.

I bought my 5500 LP in 2003 in a Montana, and just kept it and used it in 3 different 5th wheels including our 2014 Redwood. After 14 years of service, I figured it was worth the cost. I'd still have it today but our current rig had one already.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #5

I WAS CONSIDERING PUTTING IT ON A CARRIER ON MY REESE HITCH. THAT IS CLOSE TO THE POWER PLUG. IM JUST DOING RESEARCH NOW. YOU SAID THE ONAN WAS PLUG AND PLAY BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE THE PROPANE, BATTERY, CONNECTION AND THE POWER HOOKUP HAS TO BE INSTALLED ON OUR 36RE. MAYBE YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME INCITE IN TO THOSE ITEMS. ALSO I AM CONCERNED ABOUT PROPAANE USEAGE. I READ SOMEONE USED 6 40 LBS TANKS IN 2 DAYS IN HOT WEATHER,
THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #6

Joe D. has a onan 6500 built in in his RL38 , at a nascar event he said he burned 6- 30 or 40 lb propane bottle running both AC units 48+ hrs. I am sure if you only ran one 15,000 btu AC unit the fuel consumpsion would have been less the 4 tanks in the same time frame.

as for build quality and noise the Yamaha is excellent , In my opinion equal to honda. My Yamaha is 68lbs with out fuel and holds about 4 gallons. its run my house for 7 days strait countless time during bad storms. Its about 12 years old and seams to have the same power it had new. I change the oil about every 50 hrs of run time , it gets mobile 1 every change. it only holds about 40oz so its cheap to change.
If I recall its 68 DB at full load , you can have a conversation right next to it at full load. cant hear it running in the house with a 20' cord attached to the house for power. A friend of mine just bought at honda 6500W inverter , it was just over $4000.00 new . Really quiet and very strong power output but heavy (over 200lbs easy). Inverter is the way to go , they are smaller and the motor turns slower at load.

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #7

Was your Yamaha an invertor Generator or standard

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #8

Last Edit: by xcmark.

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #9

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 150

• Redwood/2016/38RL
I ran 2 of the Honda EU2000's run in parallel before getting the Onan... the Honda's did the job, but it was a pain in the neck... Once getting there, setting up the 2, setting up the extended run 5 gallon fuel tank, locking everything so nothing walked..... Then using the 5 gallons of fuel.. and refilling ...

I now get to where I am going, push a button and i'm done!.. Yes the Onan gets thirsty when running full throttle, but that is not very often .. I used to always use them when at the NASCAR races, I had 1 race it was 100+... we went threw 6 of the 40 bottles from Noon Thursday, to noon Sunday ... BUT, the RW was 72 inside, allTV's were on, the micro was being used...

Last year, I upgraded once again at the NASCAR races... I am now on a full hookup site with 50 AMP, water and sewer...

The Onan will be used for the occasional pit stop while driving, truck stop camping for a few hours, ect..

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #10

thanks
My concern is the $180.00 in Propane cost in 3 days. We just changed from a Motor home with a 5500 gold Marguis & it was great but it alao ran on our fuel tank which was never an issue. The limited propane available is the issue and cost when found on the road since we are going full time for a while.
Thanks for input it is very informative.

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 5 days ago #11

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 74

• Redwood/2016/39MB
Our 5500 when running both ACs will get about 8 to 10 hours out of a 40 Pound tank of Propane

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 4 days ago #12

Waltgolf3 wrote: I WAS CONSIDERING PUTTING IT ON A CARRIER ON MY REESE HITCH. THAT IS CLOSE TO THE POWER PLUG. IM JUST DOING RESEARCH NOW. YOU SAID THE ONAN WAS PLUG AND PLAY BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE THE PROPANE, BATTERY, CONNECTION AND THE POWER HOOKUP HAS TO BE INSTALLED ON OUR 36RE. MAYBE YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME INCITE IN TO THOSE ITEMS. ALSO I AM CONCERNED ABOUT PROPAANE USEAGE. I READ SOMEONE USED 6 40 LBS TANKS IN 2 DAYS IN HOT WEATHER,
THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Walter, The Onan was Plug-N-Play only if your Redwood had the gen prep option. You can tell by the silver heat shield in the front compartment and the transfer switch. Without it, you're right, you are starting from scratch.

Attachments:

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 4 days ago #13

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 150

• Redwood/2016/38RL
My numbers from various times are:
based off 2 of the 40 lb bottles...
NO Load - about 32 hours.. just running misc lights, nothing else
1/2 Load - about 20 hours
full Load - about 14/15 hours

Yamaha or Honda Generators 1 week 4 days ago #14

THANKS THIS GOOD INFO. I'm probably going to give the Yamaha 6300 a try.

• Page:
Time to create page: 5.900 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.