How To Set Profile To Not Receive Emails For Repy 3 years 6 months ago #1

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 369

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Ken,

This morning I received an email for each response to yesterday's posts. As we board the ship next week I am eliminating unnecessary emails by unsubscribing from numerous sites.

I went in and unsubscribed from each topic, but is there a way to set your profile so that it defaults to not subscribing every time you post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

How To Set Profile To Not Receive Emails For Repy 3 years 6 months ago #2

I know you can do it on a thread by thread basis and I can change the default for the entire site, but not sure if an individual can select the default value or not.

I'll get back to you on that.

Safe travels.

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--
"My Redwood; Go anywhere and always be at home."
"The trouble with trouble is it starts as fun"

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - Wayne Gretzky

How To Set Profile To Not Receive Emails For Repy 3 years 6 months ago #3

The system has two options which control how users received updates. They are system wide settings and apply to all users.

Category Subscriptions: If set to E-mail New Topics, e-mails will only be posted to category subscribers when new topics are created; users will not receive updates to those topics unless they subscribe to the topics individually. If set to E-mail New Posts, e-mails will be posted for all new postings made in categories that users are subscribed to. Currently set to: E-mail new posts.

Topic Subscriptions: If set to E-mail First Update, only one e-mail will be sent to subscribers saying that there are new posts in that topic; users will not receive updates to those topics unless they log in and read the topics individually. If set to E-mail Every Update, e-mails will be posted for all new postings made in topics that users are subscribed to. Currently set to E-mail every update.

When I set the system up I wanted to receive an email for every new post because a lot of times I just read the post in my inbox and don't bother to log into the site if I don't want to reply. That said I can see how that would not be optimal for all users.

I also think I might have this backwards. My goal was to get informed when a new topic was created for categories I subscribe to and then if I subscribe to the topic get emails for each post so I can read the thread in my inbox and not jump on the site until I have something relevant to post. To achieve that I think I need to set Category Subs to E-mail New Topics and Topic Subs to E-mail every update. A user could always unsubscribe to a topic if they don't want to get all posts and then check into the Forum/Recent tab to see if new things have been posts.

With regards to the most straight forward way for you to opt out of all updates at the moment, the shortest path would be to go into your Profile, select the Forums tab, then the Subscriptions sub-tab. On that page you'll see a trash can at the top of the list of the threads you subscribe to. Click the top trash can and that will unsubscribe you to all threads. This does not delete the posts just the subscription to the thread.

When you get back on land you can check in on the Forum/Recent tab to see what you've missed.

Appreciate any thoughts on the system settings before I change anythings.

Thanks

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - Wayne Gretzky

How To Set Profile To Not Receive Emails For Repy 3 years 6 months ago #4

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 369

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Ken,

With a small user base the email notifications probably wont be too excessive, but once the user base expands, this could amount to significant volumes of email.

My preference would be to automatically turn it off and then provide users the option of subscribing to those threads that are of particular interest.

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

How To Set Profile To Not Receive Emails For Repy 3 years 4 months ago #5

Ken,
What did you decide to do on this - the emails are getting annoying.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

How To Set Profile To Not Receive Emails For Repy 3 years 4 months ago #6

There really hasn't been a definitive conclusion on this yet. I can tell you that there is a configuration option that site wide by default can control if a user receives an email response when then reply or quick reply to a topic.

There is also a way for a user to decide when they either Respond or Quick Respond to a topic they can select to receive update emails or not.

Finally a user can select to Unsubscribe to a topic of they don't wish to receive any more email updates on that topic.

I hesitate to change the default "Subscribe to email updates default" since I'm thinking a user has after joining the conversation and probably wants to start receiving updates especially since they can opt-out at the time they first respond or opt-out after they realize the topic no longer interests them, but that is me.

That said the next step would be to float a Vote Thread that could direct how we set the default. I personally would vote to keep the default to Subscribe to a topic when I respond, but again that is me. I'm happy to do what the community wants.
Attachments:

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--

How To Set Profile To Not Receive Emails For Repy 3 years 4 months ago #7

I didn't see that little checkbox - thanks Ken. I just need to uncheck it as I go.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
  • Page:
Time to create page: 2.046 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu