Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anchoring the rear sofa/sofa bed

Anchoring the rear sofa/sofa bed 3 years 3 months ago #1

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 134
As indicated in another post, our sofa bed moves around when we are on the road, I found a broken latch on the rear emergency window and the bottom trim loose around the window on our 36RL. I believe this damage was caused by the sofa bouncing back against the rear window.

I have put a 2X4 on edge to space at the back wall on the floor but this hasn't stopped the damage, I believe the sofa tilts back at the top, causing the damage.

I anchored the sofa by moving the 2 front sofa wooden legs slightly inboard from their original location (they are fastened to the sofa by wood screws) and I used 2 small brackets (similar to the ones in the picture but smaller (only 1 screw hole on each "leg), one fastened to the edge of each foot. I installed them inboard to keep them away from bare feet and I was able to do this as the bed lifts up so I could screw the brackets down from the "inside" of the sofa. Those with standard sofas may have to install them outboard.

I used 1-1/4 by 8 wood screws to anchor the brackets to the floor, the logic being that Redwood used similar length screws to anchor the side tables to the floor (actually 2-1/4 taking into consideration the 1" side table leg thickness), I don't know what's under the floor but I assume that Redwood used the right length screws.

It's an easy project (only one band aid on my knuckle!), the only thing I need now is a replacement latch, hopefully the window doesn't have to be replaced!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by almcc.

Anchoring the rear sofa/sofa bed 3 years 3 months ago #2

Nicely done and well documented.

Can I make a suggestion that you create a permanent owner modification entry in the Resources/Contribute Modifications section. When you do that either PM me or post something here so I know to post it to the site.

Thanks

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--
"My Redwood; Go anywhere and always be at home."
"The trouble with trouble is it starts as fun"

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - Wayne Gretzky

Anchoring the rear sofa/sofa bed 3 years 3 months ago #3

Contact your dealer or RW & they can send a new handle. I have a new handle
in my tool box, but window is wired shut & will remain so for now.

Travelin' Texans

Anchoring the rear sofa/sofa bed 3 years 2 months ago #4

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 134

KenA wrote: Nicely done and well documented.

Can I make a suggestion that you create a permanent owner modification entry in the Resources/Contribute Modifications section. When you do that either PM me or post something here so I know to post it to the site.

Thanks

Hi Ken:

I've done the entry, I uploaded the pictures. I would have liked to insert the pictures into the text and provide some commentary to make more sense to readers but I can't seem to do that. It would be great to just copy and paste the image but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anchoring the rear sofa/sofa bed 3 years 2 months ago #5

Al,

I am going to PM some steps you can try to update the Owner Mod post to include inline images.

Thanks for the contribution.

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--
"My Redwood; Go anywhere and always be at home."
"The trouble with trouble is it starts as fun"

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - Wayne Gretzky

Anchoring the rear sofa/sofa bed 1 month 3 weeks ago #6

• Mark Stanton
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 5

• Redwood/2015/38GK
Just a note for Information to 38GK owners. The 2x4 will not allow the dinning slide to close without damaging the couch. I do recommend the anchors. But make sure to check clearance. Voice of experience here. LOL!

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.580 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.