Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Counter Tops - shining them up?

Counter Tops - shining them up? 4 weeks 1 day ago #1

My solid surface counter tops in my 2018GK are showing a bit of light wear and I need to shine them up. There are no deep scratches or anything just a bit of dulling due to normal wear and tear. Has anyone tried successfully polishing them and get back the high gloss shine? I'm not sure who makes them but Dupont Corian suggests Soft Scrub on their counter tops. I haven't tried it yet because I'm afraid it might be too abrasive. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Counter Tops - shining them up? 4 weeks 1 day ago #2

Check with Lowes/HD for polishing techniques. If I recall my friend the builder has used like 2000 grit wet sandpaper to get scratches out then polishes.
We use BarKeepers friend on ours without any problems so Soft Scrub shouldn't hurt either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PunksRedwood

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Counter Tops - shining them up? 4 weeks 1 day ago #3

Danny and Linda wrote: Check with Lowes/HD for polishing techniques. If I recall my friend the builder has used like 2000 grit wet sandpaper to get scratches out then polishes.
We use BarKeepers friend on ours without any problems so Soft Scrub shouldn't hurt either.

Thank you Danny and Linda. Glad to hear the BarKeepers Friend works for you. Does it maintain the high gloss? I think I'll go ahead and try the Soft Scrub. I'll report back.

Counter Tops - shining them up? 4 weeks 1 day ago #4

Once cleaned we use automotive polish on it, just be careful it's slick as .... well you know!

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Counter Tops - shining them up? 4 weeks 23 hours ago #5

Used the 2000 grit wet/dry paper. Tested a small area. Moderate circular pattern and back and forth pattern. Used NuFinish Scratch Out afterward. Fantastic result.

Don't take my word for it yet though. I think this is a fine art and I may have been lucky in the test area. I would like to try a broader area before endorsing this method. But it is VERY promising. We have some pretty good wear.

Counter Tops - shining them up? 3 weeks 5 days ago #6

UPDATE: Counter Top Surface Repair

Well, I took a small test area and tried to make the repair in a very conspicuous area on the island near the door end...(not inconspicuous. I wanted to see the results clearly. It was a risk).

Tools:

1) 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper
2) A flat sanding pad
3) A little water (initially)
4) NuFinish Scratch remover

Process:

1) Sand with light to moderate pressure in a straight back and forth method and crisscrossing patterns.
2) Wiped with a damp microfiber cloth
3) Applied the NuFinish with a damp microfiber cloth
4) Allowed the NuFinish to dry
5) Wiped with a dry microfiber cloth

Results:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Bottom line...I'll be doing ALL of the counter top. I might recommend a small palm sander to perform this task more evenly and thoroughly but I am very impressed with the difference.

I may have spent 2 minutes on this. With further sanding, the results may have even been better.

Each of you will have to decide for yourself whether you want to take on this task. I can only report how this is working out for me.

IF you try this, you may want to try this in your own inconspicuous area. I don't think this is necessarily an art, but one needs to be very careful not to overdue it.
Attachments:

Counter Tops - shining them up? 3 weeks 5 days ago #7

That looks great GipC! Especially with the dark counter top as I think they definitely show more scratches. I've got the light tops so I think I'd get great results.

Last Edit: by PunksRedwood.

Counter Tops - shining them up? 3 weeks 4 days ago #8

• Jeremy Denham
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 1

• Redwood/2018/3901wb
2000 grit sandpaper is good start but I would finish with minimum 2500 or 3000, you will have less effort to polish out. Depending how many or deep the scratches are you can even go coarser sandpaper , just be sure and sand good to get those heavier scratches out. I recommend sanding in one direction with each grit , so when you wipe dry you can tell you have the coarser scratches out. Same process as sanding cars or headlights etc....

Counter Tops - shining them up? 3 weeks 3 days ago #9

Doesn't your newer Redwood actually have Corian?

Our older Redwoods had an acrylic composite knockoff, (or the quartz option). It may be the same polishing procedure for Corian, but just a note.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Counter Tops - shining them up? 3 weeks 2 days ago #10

• Rtimesoon
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 43
Our 2012 36RL has knock off Corian countertops, because I don't see the gold medalion in the countertop itself. All Corian and similar countertops are made of plastics. They all scratch a light or white color even if the top is dark blue, etc. I had a body guy from work come to remove light scratches and shine our countertops up a few years ago. He used an orbital air sander or, DA, and progressed through many grits of sandpaper. Started with 320 or so, then 500, then 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and then 2000 wet/dry using water. Then buffed with his buffer with a lamb wool head on it and a polishing compound. They turned out great. We have been using a few placemats on the end of the Island where we tend to sit things as we load up the RW to go glamping as this is where most of our scratching happens. It is the sliding of things on the countertops, and sharp corners that do the scratching.

Chris & Maria

Counter Tops - shining them up? 2 weeks 7 hours ago #11

atom ant wrote: Doesn't your newer Redwood actually have Corian?

Our older Redwoods had an acrylic composite knockoff, (or the quartz option). It may be the same polishing procedure for Corian, but just a note.

I'm not sure who makes the counter tops. There is no embedded Dupont Corian emblem as I've often seen in true Corian counter tops. I'll look at the underside and see if I can determine the manufacturer of the material. My water closet and bedroom sinks are integrated with the counter top (one piece).

Counter Tops - shining them up? 2 weeks 6 hours ago #12

• Rtimesoon
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 43
The majority of the RV manufacturers use AIA for their countertops now. They are within 30 miles of most of the RV plants. AIA is located in Syracuse, IN

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL

Counter Tops - shining them up? 2 weeks 4 hours ago #13

Ours has the quartz which is great, doesn't scratch or scorch. The problem is the sink covers are/were so heavy they pulled the sink down so they got stored away & the cooktop covers are like a couple stone tablets.
The cooktop covers haven't been taken off for 3+ years, except to occasionally clean under them, as we bought "as seen on tv" 2fer deal on the induction cooktops, they are fantastic.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.506 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu