Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!?

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #1

Just discovered this today looking at my hitch . . .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #2

What's wrong with it?

Did you back over the bicycle?

???

I can't see the concern with this picture.

Maybe it's just me?

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #3

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 66

• Redwood/2016/39MB
I see the hole for the receiver pin is Vertical, not Horizontal.
Guess it's made for hauling something on it's side

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #4

mhs4771 wrote: I see the hole for the receiver pin is Vertical, not Horizontal.
Guess it's made for hauling something on it's side

Yes the pin is mounted vertically. The hole on the bottom is covered by the safety chain plate which was welded on over the hole. No way to get a pin in it. Unless I’m missing something it looks like the welder/fabricator wasn’t paying attention to the orientation of the pin holes for the receiver when he/she was building it.

Not sure what the solution is for fixing this. I can either drill it properly horizontally or drill through the safety chain plate and use a vertical pin. I’m afraid if I drill horizontally all the holes will weaken the hitch. Redwood should cover this as a warranty item.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #5

Duh after thinking about what I just wrote in my previous post drilling vertically isn’t an option as no receiver hitch accessories are made that way. Unless I haul it on it’s side as mhs4771 suggested. Lol

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #6

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 140

• Redwood/2016/38RL
Pain in the butt.... butt, its a somewhat easy fix... just a drill and bit to make a horizontal hole...

Just be sure to debur the interior also...If not, you may have a hard time inserting the hitch.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #7

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 3

• Redwood/2019/3401
Hello Everyone,

The timing is interesting that is posted about the quality control with Redwood RV.This problem is something that you can see. How about the things that you can't see. It could be scary. I have lost all confidence in Redwood.I own a 2019 trailer with custom paint. I'm thinking that the trailer should have been painted yellow. Do you really think Redwood actually monitors the forum. Maybe there should be a new thread talking about quality control. Just my thoughts.

Al

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #8

Took me a while staring at it, but finally got it before reading down. Sucks, but something I would find myself doing in a self assembly situation. That would really ruin your day if you were getting ready to go on a trip!

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #9

Some of those folks need a clear marble in their navel so they can see out with their heads up their.....well you know how it goes!
They must've been welding that at 11:50 am on a Friday, the place a ghost town by noon.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #10

I've got a buddy that bent the neck on his boat trailer into a pretzel after getting stuck in the sand on the beach at the lake and trying to back out of it. I think his might work on that receiver :)

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #11

I would assume that this is a Lippert problem, but was overlooked by Redwood. A QA problem.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #12

• Rtimesoon
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 43
This was definitely a Lippert screw up. They welded the hitch component incorrectly, attached to the chassis frame and delivered the frame to Redwood without looking closely. Quality Control people don't always catch everything, especially important things. Pretty sure that Redwood would contact Lippert and they might be able to come to your coach and remove the old hitch and install a new one. They do have a repair crew that travels the country for repairs like this. You would have to be in a stationary location for a scheduled appointment date but they should be able to fix it correctly. It is very obvious they made the mistake.

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 6 days ago #13

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 358

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
In addition to Redwood missing this in the final assembly PDI, the dealer also missed it while inspecting the trailer

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 5 days ago #14

And I missed it as well until I started looking at the receiver the other day to determine it's weight rating. I've been considering one of those receiver carrier baskets. Not gonna work until I get this fixed.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 5 days ago #15

Rtimesoon wrote: This was definitely a Lippert screw up. They welded the hitch component incorrectly, attached to the chassis frame and delivered the frame to Redwood without looking closely. Quality Control people don't always catch everything, especially important things. Pretty sure that Redwood would contact Lippert and they might be able to come to your coach and remove the old hitch and install a new one. They do have a repair crew that travels the country for repairs like this. You would have to be in a stationary location for a scheduled appointment date but they should be able to fix it correctly. It is very obvious they made the mistake.

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL

I sent them an email with photos. We'll see what their response is.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 4 days ago #16

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 3

• Redwood/2019/3401

PunksRedwood wrote:

Rtimesoon wrote: This was definitely a Lippert screw up. They welded the hitch component incorrectly, attached to the chassis frame and delivered the frame to Redwood without looking closely. Quality Control people don't always catch everything, especially important things. Pretty sure that Redwood would contact Lippert and they might be able to come to your coach and remove the old hitch and install a new one. They do have a repair crew that travels the country for repairs like this. You would have to be in a stationary location for a scheduled appointment date but they should be able to fix it correctly. It is very obvious they made the mistake.

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL

I sent them an email with photos. We'll see what their response is.

Hi PR,

Wish you the best on your email. It seems like at times, emails never get a timely answer that you want. Is your warranty still good ? Does a 2018 trailer have a 2 year warranty ?

Please keep us updated,
Al

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 3 weeks 4 days ago #17

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
As per the website, Redwood still offers a 2-year warranty.

I have also forwarded this issue to my contact on the Executive Management Team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PunksRedwood

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 4 days ago #18

We are glad ours is a 2015 before Thor took over!

"Live in the sunshine, Swim in the sea, Smell the wild air"

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 4 days ago #19

Kalispellcary wrote: We are glad ours is a 2015 before Thor took over!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but from a press release from Feb., 2012:

"On a snowy Indiana morning that was clouded with the past, the future emerged bright as Syracuse, Ind.-based Redwood RV, a division of Thor Industries Inc., purchased the brand names, trademarks and intellectual property of venerable RV manufacturer Carriage Inc. Tuesday (Feb. 21) during a court-ordered liquidation of Carriage assets."

I'm not sure when Redwood became part of Thor.

Last Edit: by elliottandvicky.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 4 days ago #20

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Redwood was started by Thor as it's intro into the luxury 5th wheel market in 2010. I believe the first Redwood President actually had a seat on the Thor Management team.

In 2014, Redwood was combined with Crossroads and President # 2 was also President of Crossroads.

Redwood was started before Thor purchased DRV.

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 4 days ago #21

Not a good picture, but actually says "by Thor" in small letters under the D in "Redwood", mines a '13 built in Nov '12.
Thor acquired DRV abou5 2015!
Attachments:

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 3 days ago #22

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Danny - Our coach has the same decal, probably since they built about the same time

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 3 days ago #23

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 66

• Redwood/2016/39MB
Wonder why it was only a short period of time that the "By Thor" was added. Didn't have it on our '12 or current '16.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 3 days ago #24

• Jim and Mary
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 48

• “Jim
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
Ours was built Feb 2013 and has the Thor decal as well.

Jim & Mary Butters, Maggie (furry kiddo)
2013 Redwood 36RL
MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box Goodyear G114 17.5's Titan Disc Brakes, Residential fridge Winegard Travel'r rooftop TST TPMS

2015 Ford F350 KR DRW

Check this out for poor quality control - really Redwood!?!? 2 weeks 3 days ago #25

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
If memory is correct, it changed when they introduced the 2nd generation of full body paint - mid/late 2014.

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.485 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu