• Page:

TOPIC: Suspension Issues

Suspension Issues 3 weeks 3 days ago #1

• Paul Bridges
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 130

• “Paul
  • Redwood/2015/38RL
At the 2019 Rally, the Redwood Management Team addressed a member question about the appearance of an increase in suspension issues, particularly broken spring hangers, broken springs and broken wet bolts.

Upon hearing of the issues, they reviewed previous years’ warranty claims and there was no substantial difference.

In further discussion, it seems apparent that Redwood is not getting a full picture because many owners have issues regardless of warranty and get them repaired on the road or at the Rally by Lippert, and that does not get back to Redwood.

There is quite a good discussion happening on the ROG Facebook page about these issues, and I think we should also use this forum to document suspension problems to provide RW with a more complete picture.

Please refrain from comments like, “Get the IS and forget about it”. That doesn’t help Redwood at all. We’re trying to get them the data for the need to build a beefier suspension out the door.

On this trip (about 8,000 miles so far) we had two broken wet bolts. Lippert replaced the equalizers, bronze bushings, wet bolts, and replaced 4 spring hangers of the 6 total - center and rear. We upgraded to 4,000 lb springs 2 years ago and are right at weight limitations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paul & Tracy Bridges
2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 KR CC LB DRW 6.7L PSD
1924 Ford Model T
1958 Rainbow TT by Edwards ( 1958rainbow.blogspot.com )

Suspension Issues 3 weeks 3 days ago #2

I will say this..

The under carriage has been improved 10 fold from my 2016 to my 2020... BUT... They upgraded all that stuff with HD morryde stuff and kept the SAME hangers and springs... Looking at them, they even look too small for the trailer , they can't be any more than 3/16" thick ????

Suspension Issues 3 weeks 3 days ago #3

• Paul Bridges
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Paul
  • Redwood/2015/38RL
Joe, good observation. Lippert came through and reinforced many of the spring hangers with gussets for added strength. Maybe that would be a good start OEM.

Paul & Tracy Bridges
2015 Redwood 38RL
1924 Ford Model T

Suspension Issues 3 weeks 3 days ago #4

my 2015 RL38 has about 10,000 miles on it I had a broken wet bolt on its fine trip to Elkhart. I had 7000 lb axles and was scaled at 16800 total trailer weight and just under 13,000 on the trailer tires. The springs on the driver side where flat and had been greased every week it was on the road. In my opinion trailers at this weight need something much more robust then typical spring packs and center hanger rubber trunnions . If they could come up with air ride or something better then steel Chinese made parts I would feel a hole lot better . I had to replace the entire package from the frame down including the wheels and tires. the factory spring links and bolts are way undersides and you can see they made the holes oval .
The following user(s) said Thank You: redwood5er, Iceman1777

Suspension Issues 3 weeks 1 day ago #5

Has anyone installed the MOR/ryde X-factor Suspension Crossmember for Correct Track on their front and back hangers? I installed the SRE 4000, which has a crossmember on the center hanger, but not the front and back hangers?

Danny & Terri
2017 31SL
Silverado 3500 CC SRW 4x4 LWB Duramax

Suspension Issues 3 weeks 1 day ago #6

• Paul Bridges
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Paul
  • Redwood/2015/38RL
Yes, I installed the X-Factor on the rear hangers. Since I couldn’t get in for the MorRyde IS upgrade, and after seeing the results of the torque on the rear spring hangers and bolts, I decided to give the X-Factor a try. I’m not sure how you can tell if it makes a difference except over time and miles. The theory makes sense in spreading the torque between the hangers over a cross member rather than the single spring hanger.

Paul & Tracy Bridges
2015 Redwood 38RL
1924 Ford Model T

Suspension Issues 2 weeks 5 days ago #7

I just got done installing the SRE 4000 and both X-Factor on my unit on Monday. Will be traveling with it on the 9 of Aug. When installing it I found that I had 1 link broken but still in place very lucky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iceman1777

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.