Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: slide out toppers

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #1

Hi my name is ED i am new a member to the R.o.G very nice website. I just purchased a 2016 31SL. I am looking to put some slide out toppers on it. I am pretty handy does anybody know which ones are the best for the price' And are they hard to install also looking for website to see out its done. thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #2

Hi Ed and welcome to our group ! The ones from the factory would be made by Carefree. Good quality units and should be relatively easy to put on. Do a search on YouTube and there are quite a few how to videos.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #3

To my knowledge there are only 2 brands, Carefree which is what RW uses & Dometic. I've been watching & studying the 2 brands & I think if I didn't have them already I'd go with the Dometic, the fabric appears to stay tightened better after a while than my Carefree are/were, just my observation. As far as installtion, with some help & a couple ladders it doesn't look too difficult.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #4

Thank you Danny and Linda. I am in Florida now will be retiring in about 6 months trying to get ready to travel.

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #5

Thank you piperguy, I will be retiring in 6 months trying to it ready.

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #6

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 128
Just a comment about toppers. We camp in a windy area (southern California in the lee of the hills in Borrego Springs) and we have seen a few toppers getting ripped and destroyed as a result of the wind storms. A solution is to retract the slides but that's a hassle if the wind lasts the day. We are glad that we don't have them on our RW.

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #7

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 136

• Redwood/2016/38RL
Good Morning Ed ,

First off. .. .. Congrats on your new Redwood, and in only having 6 months of work left !

We have Carefree on our Redwood and like them. The trailer came with them, but it looks like a job that a handy camper could do , with some extra hands and ladders..

Happy Camping , Safe Travels.. ..

Joe

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #8

Thanks joe I think I'll give it a try. Which I would have had them installed when I bought in Elkhart Indiana. But just didn't have the time

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #9

Thank you for the information it's something to keep in mind.

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #10

Welcome to the club...

Evaluate your need for the toppers...

Maintenance cost.

Value.

Replacement cost.

Wind.

You'll have to decide for yourself if they are worth it. It's up in the air for me. The downside is cost.

Wind is also a factor but I've seen this overcome with a rope and a 3/4 PVC pipe. In times of wind, you will get a flapping noise that may drive you crazy. Damage can occur with the right amount of wind. It's not always handy to bring in your slides.

To avoid this, take the rope and run it through the PVC. Be sure to cut the PVC to length + 4" on each side. Then, tie the rope down to one side at the bottom of the slide. Next, lay the PVC over the topper and then tie down the rope to the opposite end of the slide pulling down to put weight on the topper.

This way, you can avoid the topper - popper noise...

Attachments:

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #11

Thank you great ideal.

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #12

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 65

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
I installed the 5 slide toppers on my 38FL.

Was pretty easy, ordered the Carefree Toppers from Shade Pro in CA.

Best price I could find, great to deal with, they have been on my Redwood about 2 1/2 years now all over the country and are holding up well.

I did install the brackets on the side of my Redwood a little higher than the OEM installs so I have more slope on my toppers, never had water pooling and I have been in some pretty heavy storms.

Robert, Sheryl & Bale (The Wonder Dog)
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114s, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

slide out toppers 1 year 9 months ago #13

They look good Rob. I just bought my 2016 31sl. I going to put them on mine. I am pretty handy hope I can do it so I ca same some money. I am in west palm beach . What area you in.

slide out toppers 7 months 3 weeks ago #14

So I am about to pull the trigger on some toppers for my 2016 GK which has the slide in a slide option in the bedroom. Can you get a topper on the smallest slide?

slide out toppers 7 months 3 weeks ago #15

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL

Dljake wrote: So I am about to pull the trigger on some toppers for my 2016 GK which has the slide in a slide option in the bedroom. Can you get a topper on the smallest slide?

As of last year, NO.... When I purchased my slide toppers, I was in constant communication with Carefree about that. At one point they had me chat with the engineer. I would tell you to reach out to Carefree direct and chat with them.

Joe

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #16

I had slide toppers on my quad slide National Class A diesel pusher so I was a bit concerned that my Redwood wasn't equipped with them. After almost 5 months of full time living I'm almost happy I don't have the toppers. They were noisy in the wind and another maintenance item as I had to have them replaced due to weathering and tearing. So far I have had no issues without the toppers and we've had some pretty good rain and accumulated snow. I've gotten up on my roof on a few occasions to inspect and sweep any pine needles off the slide tops since I'm under a couple of large pine trees. The winds seem to clear most debris as I usually don't find anything to sweep off. I think it just depends on where you live but I've discovered that I don't mind running around topless so far!

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #17

I've thought about toppers in the past. As you experienced, they can be noisy. If leaves are an issue, they make a broom that you can stand on the ground with to sweep them off before you leave (no pun intended)...

For us, it was maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Springs, fabric stretch and fade.

Then, there was the cost and labor each time they need to be replaced.

We're good without them also. For the money, I would rather have the 2nd awning option...

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #18

PunksRedwood wrote: I had slide toppers on my quad slide National Class A diesel pusher so I was a bit concerned that my Redwood wasn't equipped with them. After almost 5 months of full time living I'm almost happy I don't have the toppers. They were noisy in the wind and another maintenance item as I had to have them replaced due to weathering and tearing. So far I have had no issues without the toppers and we've had some pretty good rain and accumulated snow. I've gotten up on my roof on a few occasions to inspect and sweep any pine needles off the slide tops since I'm under a couple of large pine trees. The winds seem to clear most debris as I usually don't find anything to sweep off. I think it just depends on where you live but I've discovered that I don't mind running around topless so far!

I'm with you. I never purposely bought them, as I saw them cause all kinds of problems for folks at the lake. Wind would be harsh enough to tear them apart if they had any age, and many times they just had to pull in the slides to survive.

Our current MH has them unfortunately, and already I noticed the full wall slide (34' long) is starting to stretch on the end because of wind. I feel no love for them after having them and not having them, nor do I see where the benefit out weighs the advantage either way.

However, I'm sure regions traveled has a lot to do with the opinion of them. We never had issues with leaves or needles, but one time in Nebraska I did park under a beautiful tree in the fall and the next morning I was wearing it! I had to clear 2 ft of leaves off the slides, AND then rolltop on my truck before I could leave. First time in years.

Attachments:

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #19

Just last year my friends with a class A Thor Ace with a full wall slide had their 22 foot slide topper completely ripped off by high wind and thrown up onto the roof of their rig. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't cheap to fix. Since I'm a full timer in Colorado pulling my slides in during a winter blizzard isn't an option for me.

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #20

Yeppers, We were parked next to a Blackwood with a our Redwood at Navajo Reservoir in Southern CO, and the wind came up and billowed his two slide covers out and then trashed the gearing in the ends. I have no idea how it even happened. Had to help him cut them off.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #21

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 128

GipCTravelers wrote: I've thought about toppers in the past. As you experienced, they can be noisy. If leaves are an issue, they make a broom that you can stand on the ground with to sweep them off before you leave (no pun intended)...

For us, it was maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Springs, fabric stretch and fade.

Then, there was the cost and labor each time they need to be replaced.

We're good without them also. For the money, I would rather have the 2nd awning option...

Another vote for no toppers. We've seen toppers ripped in the wind here in the south west, or owners with toppers having to retract slides to prevent damage.
We have a second awning that we love (and we retracted both awnings yesterday after the wind got above 30 MPH here!).

Last Edit: by almcc.

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #22

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL
I have to say, I have had toppers on my slides since my First TT that had a slide on it. I have never had issues with the winds, till this past year.

My toppers look tight, but in any type of higher wind, they flap and sometimes they are very loud !! Last year on the beach, I actually got my ladder out, wrapped some rope around the topper to the bottom to try and stop the flapping....

But then again, my slides have never been his LONG....I think that has something to do with it, harder to keep tight?????
Joe

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #23

Ours survived 2 springs in the Texas panhandle, some days had to put the slides in but talking 40 mph sustained with 50-60 mph gusts but were veeeery noisy. The wind & sun finally took it's toll on the stitching so replaced both the larger slide topper fabrics (approximately $100 each) with help if my SIL & gave the rollers a couple extra twist before adding fabric, now much tighter & much less noise. I believe the factory installed them too loose from the get go.
We ordered the RW without, but it was delivered with them & told the dealer we weren't paying for them, but I think they do help with cooling by keeping the sun off the slide top & would get them again.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #24

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL

Danny and Linda wrote: Ours survived 2 springs in the Texas panhandle, some days had to put the slides in but talking 40 mph sustained with 50-60 mph gusts but were veeeery noisy. The wind & sun finally took it's toll on the stitching so replaced both the larger slide topper fabrics (approximately $100 each) with help if my SIL & gave the rollers a couple extra twist before adding fabric, now much tighter & much less noise. I believe the factory installed them too loose from the get go.
We ordered the RW without, but it was delivered with them & told the dealer we weren't paying for them, but I think they do help with cooling by keeping the sun off the slide top & would get them again.

Danny -

You changed the fabric yourself? When you say that you tightened the roller, can that be done on my existing fabric? The dealer told me there was no way to tighten them???

slide out toppers 7 months 2 weeks ago #25

Joe - google replacing carefree topper fabric. Tells how to tension the reel.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.507 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu