Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2nd Awning

2nd Awning 7 months 2 hours ago #1

I was wondering if anyone has installed a 2nd awning (over the living room)? We have a 38RL 2015 and would like to know what size and what brand we should get. I have called several dealers and none of them have a clue. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2nd Awning 7 months 32 minutes ago #2

Many (including us) have the Carefree. (2) to choose from:

www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/eclipse.html

www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rv-products/rv-travel-trailer.html

If your RV is like ours, it was pre-wired for the 2nd canopy. It's just a matter of hardware and canopy installation. It takes 3 people (although 1 could do it if they knew what to do - But I don't recommend it.

A couple of words to the wise...

1) At the rollers (on the outer edge - see attachment and pic below), install (2) additional stainless steel screws for safety. They come with (2) only. Ours came out and luckily no one was standing under it. The rig got a goose egg instead of us.

File Attachment:

File Name: AwningScrews_2018-05-12.pdf
File Size: 46 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Carefree-AwningCare_2018-05-12.pdf
File Size: 44 KB

2) Make sure to install the upright hardware into the studs. Use lag screws. Install (4) with washers. Ours came with (2) and they were mounted with (1) at the top an d(1) at the bottom. A 15 MPH wind could have taken that off with ease.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dannyboy

2nd Awning 6 months 4 weeks ago #3

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 141

• Redwood/2016/38RL
I have the factory equipped 2nd awning and would not be without it...

MAKE SURE YOU HIT STUDS.... Whatever you do.......I can get some measurements tomorrow if you want... I also just replaced the fabric under warranty, I can get you some part numbers Monday.....

2nd Awning 6 months 4 weeks ago #4

Do you know how big the awning is and the brand I should order. Thanks

2nd Awning 6 months 4 weeks ago #5

Do you how big the awning is and what brand I should order. Thanks

2nd Awning 6 months 4 weeks ago #6

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL
Dan, I have all that info in my desk at my office and can get it for you Monday... I can get some measurements tomorrow... I have a “16’ 38 RL

See if this helps -It’s the tag from the replacement fabric.. Call Carefree with that tag info....

Last Edit: by ford truck guy.

2nd Awning 6 months 4 weeks ago #7

Thank you for going out of your way. I did get the information from the fabric. Thanks for letting me the size I should orde.

2nd Awning 6 months 4 weeks ago #8

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL
I THINK that sticker should tell them everything they need to get you fixed up..

Let me know if you need something else

2nd Awning 6 months 4 weeks ago #9

Are both awning the same size? Thank you

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #10

Did you have a chance to get the measurement for the 2nd awning? Thanks Dan

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #11

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL
Sorry Dan, had an issue at one of or plants and took an unexpected trip to our New England plant for a few days... I will be home tomorrow afternoon ...

I PROMISE I will measure it when I get home... and NO, 1 is around 12’, and the other is around 16’ - 18’ ??

**** ON EDIT, I REALLY HATE WHEN WORK INTERFERES WITH MY RV STUFF! ! !B)

Last Edit: by ford truck guy.

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #12

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL
Sorry for the delay Dan.. It has not been a good week here...

Anyway, I measured the awning last night when I got home from New England, and it measures 144-1/2" from center to center of the awning arms..

That, along with the sticker I gave you earlier should help out...

Good Luck, Joe

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #13

Thank you for the information. I will call carefree with the information.

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #14

When I tried replacing the fabric on my slide toppers, which are also CareFree, they wouldn't sell directly to me as an owner, had to go through a CareFree dealer.
Look up Shade Pro on the internet for reasonable prices on awnings & awning accessories.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #15

Danny and Linda wrote: When I tried replacing the fabric on my slide toppers, which are also CareFree, they wouldn't sell directly to me as an owner, had to go through a CareFree dealer.
Look up Shade Pro on the internet for reasonable prices on awnings & awning accessories.

That's weird, I'm ordering some right now and I thought they were coming direct from Carefree to my door? I even called and she helped me come up with a part number to get an exact match. I know you can't pick anything up at the factory, but I think they will ship to you. When I finish the order I may find out I'm wrong. www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/cfg?pid=41&action=cfg

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #16

ford truck guy wrote: I have the factory equipped 2nd awning and would not be without it...

MAKE SURE YOU HIT STUDS.... Whatever you do.......I can get some measurements tomorrow if you want... I also just replaced the fabric under warranty, I can get you some part numbers Monday.....

It is actually not critical to hit a stud, and the factory did not. The studs are hollow aluminium and are worthless for setting anchor unless they are wood filled. The Carefree recommended lag bolt anchors to the wall laminate itself. I've put on several electric awnings and the objective is to place it where the rails miss obstacles. The chances of hitting a stud is very slim. Some coaches put steel plates in the wall to accommodate anchoring, but Redwood did not for the awnings.

How did I learn that? Right after I learned they didn't use the right screws either and mine left the wall! They used the same self tapping sheet metal screws they used everywhere else on the trailer. I used the correct lag from Carefree and no more issues. :)

We had the 36RL, and the 2nd awning was 12' model Carefree of Colorado - 0T 12LHJV, and serial 2107109280 and the arms were Carefree of Colorado - OVJVAP-MP and serial KR1180967. The main awning was actually 17'.
Attachments:

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #17

atom ant wrote:

Danny and Linda wrote: When I tried replacing the fabric on my slide toppers, which are also CareFree, they wouldn't sell directly to me as an owner, had to go through a CareFree dealer.

That's weird, I'm ordering some right now and I thought they were coming direct from Carefree to my door? I even called and she helped me come up with a part number to get an exact match. I know you can't pick anything up at the factory, but I think they will ship to you. When I finish the order I may find out I'm wrong. www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/cfg?pid=41&action=cfg

And they could've changed their policy, but once I filled out my order I was directed to a spot to choose a zip code to find a dealer in my area.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #18

Danny and Linda wrote:

atom ant wrote:

And they could've changed their policy, but once I filled out my order I was directed to a spot to choose a zip code to find a dealer in my area.

Ha, I bet that is exactly what it will do to me when I finish! :)
Maybe not a bad thing, as I may ask the Dealer for a price to install, as long as it's not CW.

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #19

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL

atom ant wrote:

Danny and Linda wrote:

atom ant wrote:

Maybe not a bad thing, as I may ask the Dealer for a price to install, as long as it's not CW.

I ordered an awning directly from them last year.. I had it shipped directly to my dealer...

2nd Awning 6 months 3 weeks ago #20

atom ant wrote:

ford truck guy wrote: I have the factory equipped 2nd awning and would not be without it...

It is actually not critical to hit a stud, and the factory did not. The studs are hollow aluminium and are worthless for setting anchor unless they are wood filled. The Carefree recommended lag bolt anchors to the wall laminate itself. I've put on several electric awnings and the objective is to place it where the rails miss obstacles. The chances of hitting a stud is very slim. Some coaches put steel plates in the wall to accommodate anchoring, but Redwood did not for the awnings.

How did I learn that? Right after I learned they didn't use the right screws either and mine left the wall! They used the same self tapping sheet metal screws they used everywhere else on the trailer. I used the correct lag from Carefree and no more issues. :)

We had the 36RL, and the 2nd awning was 12' model Carefree of Colorado - 0T 12LHJV, and serial 2107109280 and the arms were Carefree of Colorado - OVJVAP-MP and serial KR1180967. The main awning was actually 17'.

Hmmmm...Ours must have been different...When I found out that we only had 2 screws holding ours on, I put in a few extra. Bottom line was that we DID have wood behind ours. Shavings came out when I screwed them in. Different setup?

2nd Awning 6 months 2 weeks ago #21

GipCTravelers wrote:
Hmmmm...Ours must have been different...When I found out that we only had 2 screws holding ours on, I put in a few extra. Bottom line was that we DID have wood behind ours. Shavings came out when I screwed them in. Different setup?

There is wood backing behind the gel coat, a couple of thin plies of plywood. That may have been the wood you were seeing. That backing is what really holds the awning in place. The problem is the Dealer was using self drilling sheet metal screws, and they were too short so the only thing that ever really got past the wood backing was the drill head.

2nd Awning 6 months 2 weeks ago #22

ford truck guy wrote:

atom ant wrote:

Danny and Linda wrote:

atom ant wrote:

I ordered an awning directly from them last year.. I had it shipped directly to my dealer...

Joe, was there an option to have it delivered to your house?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ford truck guy

2nd Awning 6 months 2 weeks ago #23

atom ant wrote:

GipCTravelers wrote:

There is wood backing behind the gel coat, a couple of thin plies of plywood. That may have been the wood you were seeing. That backing is what really holds the awning in place. The problem is the Dealer was using self drilling sheet metal screws, and they were too short so the only thing that ever really got past the wood backing was the drill head.

Look at the striker plate on your entry door & if it's like mine it looks like 3/8"+/- plywood under the gel coat. Mine also only had 2 screws, top & bottom, so I removed those self tapping screws added several stainless screws.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

2nd Awning 6 months 2 weeks ago #24

I just ordered a replacement fabric for my dining slide on my 2015 from carefree today. Went online yesturday and could not get my order to go through so I sent an email to them with the serial number off the roller tube. Their sales manager sent me back a model # of exactly what I needed complete with a price of 278.00 + 20.00 shipping as well as a phone # to call. Ordered over the phone and will be here in 5 days.we have the leds on the roller, so I thought the price was reasonable. Great customer service.

Woody

2nd Awning 6 months 2 weeks ago #25

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL
Brad, there was I believe..

I am not sure if I called them, or did it online?? Memory is horrible these days.....

I will dig into it a bit tomorrow.. perhaps an email chain will jog my memory

• Page:
Time to create page: 3.053 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu