Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Surge Guard questions

Surge Guard questions 1 week 2 days ago #1

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 128
I'm looking for some input from the group. I have external surge guards (30 and 50 amp)that are getting old and need replacement, I want to install an internal one. A couple of questions.

Are there any on the market that can also monitor and control electrical draw, we hit 30 amp campgrounds frequently and it would be nice to have the guard warn/shut us off before we accidentally trip the pedestal breaker. I'd like recommendations on the best surge guard to buy.

I'm thinking about installing the surge guard at the rear of the rig above the plastic just in front of the 50 amp plug, instead of climbing into the basement to get to the breaker panel. Comments? Is it dry enough there? I would run the wire for the monitor display up into the rig and mount it in the rear of the rig

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Surge Guard questions 1 week 2 days ago #2

Progressive Industries: www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c
(Super Helpful Staff!)

Model (Hard-Wired): EMS-HW50C

Basics:

The voltage operating range is 104 to 132 Volts. This particular unit (HW50C) is good for 50 Amps. It is good for 5-mode Surge Protection of 3,580Joules and 88,000 Amps of surge current in less than 1 nano-second. It also has reverse polarity protection, open neutral protection, open ground protection, AC frequency protection and accidental 240V protection.

Installed in the basement (out of the way - behind the wall).

Ran a "remote" display into the controls cabinet and mounted one display outside so I could watch conditions when I plugged the unit in. In hind site, I never use the outside one as I have to go inside anyway and switch the unit. It will not display both at the same time. The better plan is to use a "tick tracer" and see if I have a hot pedestal and then use a multi-meter BEFORE plugging in. You'll see if there is a problem at the pedestal first. The Protector is there afterward to protect against FUTURE issues while you are plugged in. Just get the one display and put it in a location where you can watch it. It will tell you voltage and amperage on each leg. When you get to 104 volts, it will drop you out. You can watch the amps for overload. It really is helpful.

If you need to locate the display more than 10' away, they can make you a special cord that will reach from front to back. You will have to call them for that.

When it ships, everything is inside the cover...

Corporate Office

N85 W12545 Westbrook Crossing

Menomonee Falls WI 53051

Customer Service
Phone: 1-800-307-6702 press 1
Fax: 1-800-799-3779
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Technical Support
Phone: 1-800-307-6702 press 2
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments:

Surge Guard questions 1 week 1 day ago #3

I use the Progressive Industries portable unit and couldn't be happier with the performance of this unit. I use it with a Hughes Autoformer which is plugged in upstream of the Progressive Industries unit. I really would like a hardwired system but I'm not sure how to wire it with the cord reel. I guess I could just intercept the wires as they come to the back of the distribution panel and mount the unit in the crawl space.

Surge Guard questions 1 week 1 day ago #4

PunksRedwood wrote: I use the Progressive Industries portable unit and couldn't be happier with the performance of this unit. I use it with a Hughes Autoformer which is plugged in upstream of the Progressive Industries unit. I really would like a hardwired system but I'm not sure how to wire it with the cord reel. I guess I could just intercept the wires as they come to the back of the distribution panel and mount the unit in the crawl space.

Exactly what I did. It's within 6' of the back side of the electrical panel. Had to buy a few feet of wire to tie it in. It took about 3 hours total.

It's out of the weather to prevent corrosion.

It can't easily be taken (unless the whole RV is gone. In that case, I will have bigger issues).

It's saved our rig a few times now...
The following user(s) said Thank You: PunksRedwood

Surge Guard questions 1 week 1 day ago #5

GipCTravelers wrote:

PunksRedwood wrote: I use the Progressive Industries portable unit and couldn't be happier with the performance of this unit. I use it with a Hughes Autoformer which is plugged in upstream of the Progressive Industries unit. I really would like a hardwired system but I'm not sure how to wire it with the cord reel. I guess I could just intercept the wires as they come to the back of the distribution panel and mount the unit in the crawl space.

Exactly what I did. It's within 6' of the back side of the electrical panel. Had to buy a few feet of wire to tie it in. It took about 3 hours total.

It's out of the weather to prevent corrosion.

It can't easily be taken (unless the whole RV is gone. In that case, I will have bigger issues).

It's saved our rig a few times now...

I think the easiest installation would be to intercept the shore power at the transfer switch in the battery/generator compartment.

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.183 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu