Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using?

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using?

It's time for new batteries...I had been using the Interstate 12V Group 27 Deep Cycle Batteries. It lasted about 4 years. I'm thinking of trying the Trojan TE35-Gel. That would eliminate a battery box (although tie-downs would still be required) and any maintenance. They have a 12 Months free replacement and 12 addt'l Months pro-rated warranty for consumers.

They have a reserve of 479A at 25A and only weigh 69#'s.

I called the local dealers today. No one has them in stock. Lead time is 30 days to get them. Price? Just $175 each.

9.64"L x 7.51" D x 10.65" H

Thoughts?

For anyone using a solar system, I would be interested in hearing about which batteries you are using for that as well. Solar may be in future plans...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 358

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
We have a single solar panel (160W) and when replacing the batteries went with 2 Interstate -type 31 deep cycle. Considered AGM, but costs were almost double.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GipCTravelers

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 140

• Redwood/2016/38RL
I have 2 Group 31 AGM Lifeline batteries..

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #4

I purchased two Walmart brand deep cycle batteries for around $87 each. We full-time and have had no issues. They have been in use for over three years. We are not "boondockers"...we plug into a pedestal every night.

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob_Fla, GipCTravelers

Last Edit: by grizzby. Reason: Word added

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #5

OEM group 27 no name batteries lasted 5 years fulltiming, no boondocking. Replaced with Duracell group 27s from Sams Club.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #6

Well...As it turned out today, the Trojan TE35 (479 RA @ 25A - 69 lbs) was not $180 as previously quoted ($277 each instead) and the lead time was 6 weeks (rather than 4 weeks). Hmmm...Called several places.

Curiously...I called Interstate back to ask about the GC2-HD-AGM's (475 RA @25A - 66 lbs). They are $325 but at least they have them in stock.

The Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL's (447 RA @ 25A - 62 lbs) are $154 (wet cell) and are in stock.

And the standard 12V Interstate SRM-27 (160 RA @ 25A - lbs) are $153 (wet cell) and they are in stock.

I haven't for sure decided yet.

On the Walmart brand's, I don't readily see where they are labeled as deep cycle. The advertisement says it is but the battery doesn't for some reason. Maybe I'm missing something. The price is better for sure.

The Duracells were a choice but the RA was less. I don't how long that might run in a boondock situation.

Lifeline? I've not heard about that one. I'll check it out and see if a retailer is available locally.

The Interstate Group 31 is a 12V battery. (190 RA @25A). I'm not for sure how long that might last. Of course, truthfully I don't know for sure how long 950 RA @ 25A (2 batteries total) will last without starting the generator. Overall, I'm also looking at how long the generator will have to run to restore about 500-700 Amps at a time as well. The solar idea is interesting but very costly. Quiet though for sure.

Boondocking will be a factor. We enjoy that. We'll have the generator but we're trying to minimize using it. I've kinda looked at Solar but from what I read, it looks like that is a $3000-4000 upgrade? I wonder how much replacement batteries are and how often they need to be replaced?

A wind generator does not seem practical as one might not get enough wind and now I'm hearing that they are noisy?

Batteries are currently dead so I need to get a decision on this pretty quick. I appreciate everyone's input. Keep them coming so I can decide! Hope we don't run out of shore power any time soon. Slides and Levelers are stuck out there until this gets resolved.

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #7

• Doug Hogg
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 1
Just installed 4-6v AGM batteries as well as a solar array. 3-180 watt panels a 2000w inverter and various controllers/switches. All said and done cost me ~$3100. Great for boon docking and no need for generator. Batteries were expensive but advantages outweighed costs.... I hope... Can't run AC off inverter but everything else in unit that needs 120 can be used. Keep the fridge going using the inverter while travelling and solar keeps batteries charged.

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #8

I am planning on replacing my two dealer installed 12-volt batteries with this nifty Century Plastics battery box that holds 4 6-volt golf cart batteries. For batteries I'm planning on going with 4 good old reliable Trojan T-145 6-volt GC batteries. I had such good luck with these in my old class A diesel.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by PunksRedwood. Reason: spelling

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #9

GipCTravelers wrote: Well...As it turned out today, the Trojan TE35 (479 RA @ 25A - 69 lbs) was not $180 as previously quoted ($277 each instead) and the lead time was 6 weeks (rather than 4 weeks). Hmmm...Called several places.

Curiously...I called Interstate back to ask about the GC2-HD-AGM's (475 RA @25A - 66 lbs). They are $325 but at least they have them in stock.

The Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL's (447 RA @ 25A - 62 lbs) are $154 (wet cell) and are in stock.

And the standard 12V Interstate SRM-27 (160 RA @ 25A - lbs) are $153 (wet cell) and they are in stock.

I haven't for sure decided yet.

On the Walmart brand's, I don't readily see where they are labeled as deep cycle. The advertisement says it is but the battery doesn't for some reason. Maybe I'm missing something. The price is better for sure.

The Duracells were a choice but the RA was less. I don't how long that might run in a boondock situation.

Lifeline? I've not heard about that one. I'll check it out and see if a retailer is available locally.

The Interstate Group 31 is a 12V battery. (190 RA @25A). I'm not for sure how long that might last. Of course, truthfully I don't know for sure how long 950 RA @ 25A (2 batteries total) will last without starting the generator. Overall, I'm also looking at how long the generator will have to run to restore about 500-700 Amps at a time as well. The solar idea is interesting but very costly. Quiet though for sure.

Boondocking will be a factor. We enjoy that. We'll have the generator but we're trying to minimize using it. I've kinda looked at Solar but from what I read, it looks like that is a $3000-4000 upgrade? I wonder how much replacement batteries are and how often they need to be replaced?

A wind generator does not seem practical as one might not get enough wind and now I'm hearing that they are noisy?

Batteries are currently dead so I need to get a decision on this pretty quick. I appreciate everyone's input. Keep them coming so I can decide! Hope we don't run out of shore power any time soon. Slides and Levelers are stuck out there until this gets resolved.

Try your local golf cart dealer for some 6 volts.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #10

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 128
just replaced our group 27 original wet cells with another pair after 5 years in service. I would have got 2-6V batteries if I could have easily found them locally. We go plug to plug so no need for better quality or power, all we need is some power to move the legs when not plugged in and power to keep the fridge going between campsites.

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 2 weeks ago #11

Well..The feedback here has been great so far.

But, I went ahead and bit the bullet today.

Interstate GC2-HD-AGM's. We'll see how they do over time. Easy conversion from the previous 12V Interstate batteries.

$707 out the door. 10 minute installation. They are certainly heavier than the 12V.

Next, I'll probably change out the cables and terminations. That small wire and pitiful spade connectors have got to go! But it's 100 outside...Too hot to fool with that for now.

Tomorrow's chore include pulling the A/C cowling and lubricating the motor's. They are drying out.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and input. I'm going to take a look at solar. But when we boondock, this will give us a few extra amps for sure (950 vs 320). Sealed and maintenance free. No need for a battery box. No leakage. No vibration issues. We'll see if they are worth it. I'll let you know in about 3-4 years... ;)

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #12

Hope they do the trick Greg!

Bob

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #13

• patti meeks
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 0

• Redwood/2014/38GK
Does anyone have pictures of the battery hookup. We just bought new batteries and cables all moved around and can't figure out how to hook new batteries back up.

OK, we figured it out. No need for pictures.

Last Edit: by patmeeks. Reason: Problem solved

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #14

patmeeks wrote: Does anyone have pictures of the battery hookup. We just bought new batteries and cables all moved around and can't figure out how to hook new batteries back up.

OK, we figured it out. No need for pictures.

Just in case...

:)
Attachments:

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #15

Pic of my 2018 unit with the wet cells.
Attachments:

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #16

Bdarnell wrote: Pic of my 2018 unit with the wet cells.

You didn't put those in that magic flying machine back there did you? :)

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #17

Question - my OEM batteries (Group 29 12V) failed and I replaced them today with two of the Interstate 6V GC2 ECL UTL batteries (wet cells). Obviously I will need to hook them up in series, but do I need to make any adjustments or change any settings in the inverter relative to the battery charging feature? I have reviewed the inverter manual and did not notice any instructions regarding this charging issue. But, I certainly could have missed something. I’m unsure as to whether there is a difference between the charging of a 6V versus a 12V battery relative to the inverter. There definitely are differences in 6V vs 12V chargers. I have a 2015 RW 36RL. Thanks for you help. I post very little to the ROG website but read the posts from the very experienced membership base weekly and enjoy and appreciate all the valuable information.

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #18

Well, I sort of answered my own question when I accessed the inverter remote manual wherein it provides instructions relative to the set up, which includes menu selections for the type of battery, amp hours, etc. I will check the current settings with the remote to make any required changes for my configuration. But, if anyone has any additional instructions, tips, or recommendations, please let me know. I assume the OEM cables and wires are adequate for my configuration, but if not, I am open to any changes for safety and efficiency. Thanks

New Poll - Which Battery Set Are You Using? 2 months 1 week ago #19

There should be nothing for you to do....You likely have the IntelliPower 4500 series panel?

The output charge has a peak of 90 amps. Just understand that it will take longer to fully charge hour new batteries. There are a lot more amps to backfill.

• Page:
Time to create page: 4.574 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu