TOPIC: Black tank questions .....

Black tank questions ..... 1 month 3 weeks ago #1

• Piperguy
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 102

• Tilda
  • “Piperguy’s
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
Ok, need some ideas and maybe suggestions from those who have gone there before me.

All of a sudden we've got some black tank odors in the coach. Most noticeable at the vents that are under the steps and under the entry closet.
Our coach is a 2013 36RL. Never had any issues before.

So - here's the question - I'm going to do some investigating tomorrow. Should I drop the belly pan (will be a major pita in the position the coach is in right now) or cut an access panel and then put it back up with Gorilla tape? There is a slight belly visible in the belly cover so I'm thinking that I may have some "fluids" in there. The other thing is that I'm not really sure of the tank layout in there. Is the black above the greys ? Where should I look for possible issues and shoul I take the belly pan off after draining or cut a larger access hole ?

Thanks in advance guys, I'm hoping this may be something simple
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buan-Lester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

Black tank questions ..... 1 month 3 weeks ago #2

Look at the menu column , scroll down to Resources, then Redwood Drawings, 36RL Article Count 1, you will see the layout you are looking for.
Quick answer, the black tank is under the gray tanks. and the cove isn't that bad to remove, you will want to raise the trailer for clearance and have some jack stands (safety first). good luck

Black tank questions ..... 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 131
I had to undo a bit of the belly pan when the fresh water drain line fell out (the 90 degree fitting wasn't screwed into the tank by more than a turn!). The screws came out easily and the pan went back up in the original location. I've had an access panel cut on another RV, not as good as re and re'ing the belly pan.

Black tank questions ..... 1 month 3 weeks ago #4

• Piperguy
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 102

• Tilda
  • “Piperguy’s
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
Pretty sure I've got a gate valve leaking. I know the cable length for the black tank 3" valve is 6'

Anyone know if the two greys are the same ? Or should I order a 6' and a 8' to be safe.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

Black tank questions ..... 1 month 3 weeks ago #5

check the cable for kinks, they are not really cables just a single heavy wire in a casing, myin had a sharp bend in the wire that made it almost impossible to move until I straightened it. I also removed the pull ends from the wall and poured 3 in one oil in the casings, it made them work a lot easier.

Black tank questions ..... 1 month 3 weeks ago #6

x
Attachments:

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

Black tank questions ..... 1 week 2 days ago #7

• Db1124
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 0

• Redwood
  • Redwood/2017/3901WB
My black tank valve is stuck open...thankfully. how difficult is it to access and replace? Is underbelly easy to remove, or should I cut out an access?

Black tank questions ..... 1 week 1 day ago #8

Db1124 wrote: My black tank valve is stuck open...thankfully. how difficult is it to access and replace? Is underbelly easy to remove, or should I cut out an access?

Personally I wouldn't cut the coroplast, especially since you don't know for sure where the black valve is located.
As to the underbelly being difficult, the answer is yes & no, laying on your back with a cordless drill is not difficult, it's the putting it back up that's no fun.
There's a break at the frame drop down, if you remove those screws & then only enough on the streetside to easily access the valve would be my plan. You will most likely find the cable has come loose from the valve stem, some are attached with a set screw some just twisted on. If not the cable there's 4 bolts holding the valve halves together, remove those & you can replace the gate & seals or possibly just clean it up, lube it with some plumbers grease (do this with either new or replaced) & back together.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.

Black tank questions ..... 1 week 1 day ago #9

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 70

• Redwood/2016/39MB
Just make sure your tank is as empty as possible and rinsed out numerous times, and I would even go as far as to drop the front of the RW a few inches (provided the tank output is on the rear, to cause any remaining liquid to flow away from the valve.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Black tank questions ..... 1 week 1 day ago #10

mhs4771 wrote: Just make sure your tank is as empty as possible and rinsed out numerous times, and I would even go as far as to drop the front of the RW a few inches (provided the tank output is on the rear, to cause any remaining liquid to flow away from the valve.

VERY good idea!

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Black tank questions ..... 1 week 1 day ago #11

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 70

• Redwood/2016/39MB
I wouldn't want anyone playing the Robin Williams part in the movie RV

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu