Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Portable Generators

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #1

Thinking of purchasing a portable 7000 watt inverter generator for my 2013 36RE . Has anyone used a portable generator for power. And since they only come with 30 amp plug will it run the whole RV including both a.c. units.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #2

7000 watts will run both acs it depends on the config of the outlets on the generator as to how you plug in

Woody

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #3

A 7000 watt generator doesn't sound very "portable"!!
The portable 3000/3500 watt Honda's are fairly heavy, then X2???
I think the built in gennys in the newer RWs was/is 6500 watts & I'm not hoss enough to be loading it in/out by myself.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #4

Not worrying about the weight it is the availale power available with the 30 amp outlets. The unit weights just around 181lbs. Don't plan on using the generator that much but would like to have it availa ble. Hate to put out 6 grand or more on a onan.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #5

• Goat
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 13
I haven't seen a 7000w inverter generator, so I'm assuming it will be a contractor type. I don't think you would be very happy with the noise output, even if you closed all your doors, windows, and vents. An inverter type would be more tolerable, though they cost more.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #6

It is an invertor. Dba 59 at 23ft.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #7

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 85

• Redwood/2016/39MB
How about make and model number, as I'm sure others would be very interested? Sounds too good to be true, as the sound volume you listed is typical of a 2000 watt Honda Inverter. And I agree with others, have never heard of a 7000 watt inverter generator.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #8

It's a China model Lifan 7000 had some good reviews. Still doing some research but the 30amp outlets dont seem to help much so I'll probably going different direction.
$999.00 refurbished with a 5 year warranty for $99.00
Attachments:

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #9

An onan propane model 55oo watt will run you about 4500.00 another 3 - 400 for install. Push button start inside as the trailers are prewired. If you dont want to spend that kind of money 2 Honda 2000 will run both acs but not at a lot else .plus you need to carry extra gas and go outside to start them. They are quiet and work well

Woody

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #10

What has me worried about the L.P. 5500 is the fuel consumption. I've read that in hot weather you get about 10 hours on a 40 lb tank which is $3.00 an hour but the bigger issue is soon being 73 changing out 2 tanks a day is a concern. Now I can but not getting any younger.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #11

Running mine with 40lb bottles it will last abou 12 hours each steady running

Woody

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #12

And you are right they are heavy I like the convenience and carry 2 extra 30 lbs with me

Woody

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #13

About the average from what I hear. I like the 5500 gold marquis Onan I had it in our MH but it ran off and my main tank was 70 gallons and could drive down and fill up. A 40lb L.P. tank weighs 70 lbs. 5 gallon of gas about 40lb. We will figure it out. We went to the 5th wheel to go full time because we love the more home feel.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #14

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 85

• Redwood/2016/39MB
Looks interesting, but at 181 Lbs not that portable. And I agree with the limits of the 30 amp plug, especially if running both AC that's 30 amps plus right there without anything else drawing power.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #15

Thanks your correct on the not that portable. We have a 4350/3550 remote start champion mounted on a carrier on our Reese hitch on the rear or the coach for emergency use. It handy since its 5ft away from the plug. It's just a little noisy doesn't quite meet National park DBA requirements but only 2 DBA to loud and I think In can fix that. It will run one A.C. comfortably.
Will stick with that for while I guess.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #16

I used to run with the 2 Honda Eu2000's and the 5 gallon marine fuel tank as my extended run tank.

They worked flawlessly, BUT everytime I wanted to use them I had to carry them out, set up the wires, lock them up.. get the extended run tank out, fill it up, make those connections.. then start them up... that was fine,, I now have the Onan 6500 and when I want to use it, I walk over and hit the button inside.... Unless your dry camping for days at a time, your LP consumption should NOT be an issue..

I was using mine at the NASCAR races.. dry camping from Friday Morning until Sunday afternoon..

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #17

Agree the Onan is the most convenient but still have some reservations about the propane. Not sure how old you are but even at almost 73 they are getting heavier by the year. Ok for now but in another 5 or so years not sure. 70 lbs won't get any easier load and unload. Thinking about setting up a good solar system with a larger battery bank to help with fuel.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #18

I saw You had an accident what did you with Generator? You going to keep it.

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #19

not sure yet... may keep it, but undecided.. It only has 140 hours on it... AND I have everything... LP lines, wiring to transfer box, ect....

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #20

Let me know I might be interested If you decide to sell.

Thanks

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #21

Ill let you know.... I will say this.... It cost me $6400.00 for the Onan and all parts and installation.... IF I sell it, I am not sure how cheap it would be?? It may be that I keep it instead of giving it away..

I'll let you know

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #22

Thanks

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #23

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 73

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
I only need a generator for emergencies so it was hard to justify $$$ for a nice Onan.
Went the portable route and bought a Inverter Westinghouse 4500 Watt.
I fits in our front compartment, although it is fairly heavy it is manageable, runs pretty quiet and gives us enough power during a emergency to run what we need.
If we were boon docking or using the generator dry camping we would probably have made a different choice but for emergencies only our 4500 watt works.

Robert, Sheryl & Bale (The Wonder Dog)
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114s, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #24

Do you run it in the compartment. I was thinking of installing one up there.

Thanks

Portable Generators 2 months 1 week ago #25

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 73

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
I do not run it in the compartment, the exhaust is not vented outside.
I do take it out of the compartment every 45 to 60 days and run it.
Our setup is not a option for everyone but it works for us.

Attachments:

Robert, Sheryl & Bale (The Wonder Dog)
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114s, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Rob_Fla.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.382 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.