Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Ford 450

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #1

Anyone jumping out there to get that brand new F450 Ford that cost's $100,000? :)

Makes the Ram a bargain!

www.thestreet.com/story/14323529/1/ford-...ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo

finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-going-sell-1...truck-232032740.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #2

Nope! That's a four letter word the starts with "F"!

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #3

Nope! That's a four letter word the starts with "F" that we can't say at our house!

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #4

You have to offer something the "haves" can feed on. They can't live on the diet suited for "have nots" :)

I couldn't stomach when they got over $50K. I think I actually saved money with a MH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TomGina06

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #5

The price of aluminum must be way up!

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #6

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 33

• Redwood/2016/39MB
I saw that article, I think it had every available option.

Michelle & Ann
2011 Chevy 3500HD Ext Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #7

I don't see the advantage:

"The 2018 F450 will boast an industry leading 5,400 pounds of payload and well over 31,000 pounds of towing capacity"

carreviews2018.com/2018-ford-super-duty-f250-f350-f450/

"The 6.7-liter V-8 diesel engine can produce 440 horsepower and more than impressive 925 pound-feet of torque"

"The towing limit will reach class-leading 35, 500 pounds with the gooseneck trailers. The fifth-wheel trailers will allow up to 27, 500 pounds. The towing limit with the conventional trailer will be 21, 000 pounds"

www.newtruckmodels.com/2018-ford-f-450/

That's not any real improvement in towing or cargo capacity. How in the world are they justifying the price? Is there a popcorn maker in there? Maybe it comes with a warranty for life?

The Ram is nearly the exact same thing (I said almost) but comes with all the bells and whistles for a WHOLE LOT less.

Doesn't aluminum give you cancer or Alzheimer's? Maybe they charge so much for future medical bills when they get sued?

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #8

Well given Ram doesn't offer a 4500 in any kind of a nice truck it's hard to compare, but I got to $83260 pretty fast on a 3500 Dodge dually using build your own. Rarely have Ford and Dodge run together on price. Usually Dodge was the economical alternative even if just by name. Not saying Dodge isn't a great truck and I would probably get one, but they have traditionally not been as expensive as Ford, and there are quite a few gadgets on that Ford that Dodge doesn't offer like the birds eye view outside camera and trailer docking system.

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #9

atom ant wrote: Well given Ram doesn't offer a 4500 in any kind of a nice truck it's hard to compare, but I got to $83260 pretty fast on a 3500 Dodge dually using build your own. Rarely have Ford and Dodge run together on price. Usually Dodge was the economical alternative even if just by name. Not saying Dodge isn't a great truck and I would probably get one, but they have traditionally not been as expensive as Ford, and there are quite a few gadgets on that Ford that Dodge doesn't offer like the birds eye view outside camera and trailer docking system.

Hummm...

Based on the Ford F450 info in post #6 (Ford towing 5th wheels at 27,500 lbs), I'm not sure Ram needs a 4500...it "seems" that with the 3500, the Ram can tow a fifth wheel or gooseneck pretty comfortably at 30,200 lbs...;)

It does make me glad I bought in 2014 :) ....I did not come close to $83K...:(

www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pd...00_towing_charts.pdf

File Attachment:

File Name: 2017TowChart.pdf
File Size: 97 KB
Attachments:

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #10

GipCTravelers wrote:

atom ant wrote: Well given Ram doesn't offer a 4500 in any kind of a nice truck it's hard to compare, but I got to $83260 pretty fast on a 3500 Dodge dually using build your own. Rarely have Ford and Dodge run together on price. Usually Dodge was the economical alternative even if just by name. Not saying Dodge isn't a great truck and I would probably get one, but they have traditionally not been as expensive as Ford, and there are quite a few gadgets on that Ford that Dodge doesn't offer like the birds eye view outside camera and trailer docking system.

Hummm...

Based on the Ford F450 info in post #6 (Ford towing 5th wheels at 27,500 lbs), I'm not sure Ram needs a 4500...it "seems" that with the 3500, the Ram can tow a fifth wheel or gooseneck pretty comfortably at 30,200 lbs...;)

File Attachment:

Just proves anyone can get published. The F450, even 2017, can tow a 5er/gooseneck that weighs up to 32,500 lbs. The limiting factor on a 5th wheel for any truck is the hitch. My OEM puck hitch was only rated for 26,500 lbs, which is the same hitch used on the F450 in 2014, so even if it could tow 50,000 lbs, it's rated to the hitch available. Your Dodge won't tow 30,200 on a fifth wheel hitch unless the hitch is rated to do so. That's why the same truck is only rated to pull a TT of 21,000 lbs, because that is the maximum class receiver hitch available.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oriana, redwood5er

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #11

atom ant wrote:

GipCTravelers wrote:

Hummm...

File Attachment:

Just proves anyone can get published. The F450, even 2017, can tow a 5er/gooseneck that weighs up to 32,500 lbs. The limiting factor on a 5th wheel for any truck is the hitch. My OEM puck hitch was only rated for 26,500 lbs, which is the same hitch used on the F450 in 2014, so even if it could tow 50,000 lbs, it's rated to the hitch available. Your Dodge won't tow 30,200 on a fifth wheel hitch unless the hitch is rated to do so. That's why the same truck is only rated to pull a TT of 21,000 lbs, because that is the maximum class receiver hitch available.

AND....Just because a manufacturer SAYS that it will pull over 30,000 lbs, should you?

Anyone pulling at 100% is just inviting engine/transmission problems. 80% allows for margin as one chooses to climb a mountain range or long distance in hot weather without excessive strain on a vehicle.

I hear you!

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #12

GipCTravelers wrote:

atom ant wrote:

GipCTravelers wrote:

Hummm...

File Attachment:

AND....Just because a manufacturer SAYS that it will pull over 30,000 lbs, should you?

Anyone pulling at 100% is just inviting engine/transmission problems. 80% allows for margin as one chooses to climb a mountain range or long distance in hot weather without excessive strain on a vehicle.

I hear you!

the trucks are engineered to perform to 100% of their ratings. You dont need to add your own safety factor, they already have.

New Ford 450 2 months 1 week ago #13

We have a 2013 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 - non-dually - and could not be happier with how it pulls the Redwood! It was the top of the line Dodge at the time with every option and much more comfortable than any Ford we ever owned for me (a female) to drive. I used to tow living quarters horse trailers on long trips with a Ford 1 ton and the power lacked on mountain passes and the seat never worked for my body.

"Live in the sunshine, Swim in the sea, Smell the wild air"

New Ford 450 2 months 4 days ago #14

• TomGina06
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 11

• “TomGina06’s
  • Redwood/2014/38GK14
Not to mention many states anything over 26,000 you need a class A license to drive legally. Now I did find out that I can take my test in Texas using my current truck and RW because it is over 21,000 pounds. Then if I do decide to get a Semi Tractor to convert I will only have to take the air brake written and proficiency part of the test. Like the idea of 400-500 HP and 1500-2000 pounds of torque.......:woohoo:

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch!!!

2003 Ram 3500, The Beast
2014 Redwood 38GK, The Beast Tamer
Last Edit: by TomGina06.

New Ford 450 2 months 4 days ago #15

TomGina06 wrote: Not to mention many states anything over 26,000 you need a class A license to drive legally. Now I did find out that I can take my test in Texas using my current truck and RW because it is over 21,000 pounds. Then if I do decide to get a Semi Tractor to convert I will only have to take the air brake written and proficiency part of the test. Like the idea of 400-500 HP and 1500-2000 pounds of torque.......:woohoo:

If you are in Texas, then legally, you would be required to have a Class A Non-Exempt CDL License. Now, there will be some who disagree, but after conversations with 3 different TX DPS Departments, I'll stand by the requirement. It's not hard. Just study Chapter 12 of the CDL Book, take a written test and then take the driving test. Minimal cost. You can practice parallel parking but as long as you pass everything else (i.e.backing 50', making turns without hitting any curbs, use you flashers properly, downshift when required), then you'll pass. I parked 3' away from the curb on purpose. No sense in even risking it.

A Class A license is required by anyone towing 26,001 GCVW or more or a trailer more than 10,000 lbs. The later will get you...

New Ford 450 2 months 18 hours ago #16

Our F350 dually in 2014 had a GCVWR over 30,000 lbs. Does that mean i would have needed a Class A in Texas just to drive the truck, or does the trailer have to be attached?

Is it actual weight, or Gross weight? Our F350 and Redwood 36RL weighed nearly 27,000 lbs when loaded.

New Ford 450 2 months 16 hours ago #17

atom ant wrote: Our F350 dually in 2014 had a GCVWR over 30,000 lbs. Does that mean i would have needed a Class A in Texas just to drive the truck, or does the trailer have to be attached?

Is it actual weight, or Gross weight? Our F350 and Redwood 36RL weighed nearly 27,000 lbs when loaded.

Combined towing of 26.001 lbs or more OR pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs. The truck alone does not meet the 26,001 lbs. But connected to a Redwood of 17,001 lbs (or more) + the 9,000 lbs of the truck, then yes, it would be required per the DMV and the CDL Handbook.

BUT, you only need to read and test (book and driving) on Chapter 12 of the CDL book. That would get you a Exempt Class A (Non-CDL)Drivers License. It's not hard. Just something else for the State to collect money on and keep the insurance company from not paying off on a claim because you did not have the right license.

www.dps.texas.gov/administration/driver_...emptVehTestSites.htm

www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

Classes of Driver Licenses

The class of a Texas driver license is determined by the:

Type of vehicle operated on a Texas roadway
Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicles towed
Number of passengers the vehicle can hold

Unless prohibited by the Commercial Driver License Act, the holder of a valid driver license may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued and all lesser classes except motorcycles and mopeds.
Class of Non-commercial Driver License

Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license (CDL) or who are not required to obtain a CDL.

NOTE: Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL may still be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver license if the type of vehicle driven meets the weight requirement for a Class A or B vehicle.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
Some farmers who meet certain criteria
Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
Military vehicle operators
Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier

For more information on exemptions, please refer to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.

If you are from Out-of-State, I would think it would be up to your home State rules...
Attachments:

New Ford 450 2 months 12 hours ago #18

GipCTravelers wrote: If you are from Out-of-State, I would think it would be up to your home State rules...

I guess it would have to be, as I don't think you can get a DL in two different states anymore. We did buy in Texas and the Dealer never said anything, even though he probably wasn't obligated to either.

New Ford 450 2 months 11 hours ago #19

Do you know how you can tell when a dealer is lying? His lips are moving. He just wants to make a sale and get you off his lot.

We like to frequent lots to see the latest rigs. I ask them all the time. I usually get the same answer that it is not required. Then, I throw the book at them. Literally ... Well, at least I leave them with a copy. I cannot stand a liar. They usually walk away at that point. I wonder why if they are so right.

One stated that he was new at the sales desk and was only repeating what the owner taught him. Yet another lie as we had been at this lot more than once. The sad part was that he had been our sales guide just a few months earlier.

I had one tell me that if it was true, then no one would want to buy an RV that size and it would just kill the RV business. The only thing it might kill is the inexperienced RV driver that has never pulled a rig in their life.

New Ford 450 1 month 4 weeks ago #20

But I still think that me being a CO resident buying in Tx, I wasn't required to get anything beyond what CO requires. I'm pretty sure I can drive through Tx now with 44000 lbs and just my CO Class C license. Hope so, as I'm heading there in a few weeks :)

New Ford 450 1 month 4 weeks ago #21

Totally agree.

If you are a Texas Resident or Texas Domiciled, then a Class A Exempt CDL would be required.

If you are out of State, then home State rules apply.

My guess is that you did not register or pay sales tax in Texas. You did that when you got back home.

New Ford 450 1 month 4 weeks ago #22

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 276

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL

atom ant wrote: But I still think that me being a CO resident buying in Tx, I wasn't required to get anything beyond what CO requires. I'm pretty sure I can drive through Tx now with 44000 lbs and just my CO Class C license. Hope so, as I'm heading there in a few weeks :)

Brad - that is my understanding. Provided we comply with licence requirements in your home State or Province, my understanding is that you are legal throughout U.S and Canada.

Similar to Texas, I had to pass a driving test in BC, but in neighbouring Alberta they can use a regular car licence and are OK to drive on BC roads.

Andy & Judi, Canine - Kona
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

New Ford 450 1 month 4 weeks ago #23

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 114

Oriana wrote:

atom ant wrote: But I still think that me being a CO resident buying in Tx, I wasn't required to get anything beyond what CO requires. I'm pretty sure I can drive through Tx now with 44000 lbs and just my CO Class C license. Hope so, as I'm heading there in a few weeks :)

Brad - that is my understanding. Provided we comply with licence requirements in your home State or Province, my understanding is that you are legal throughout U.S and Canada.

Similar to Texas, I had to pass a driving test in BC, but in neighbouring Alberta they can use a regular car license and are OK to drive on BC roads.

Andy, here in Ontario the RV dealers lobbied the government to allow RV owners with only a car license to haul heavier 5th wheels (total GCWR of 11,000 kg. which is just over 24,000 lb.) The pick up must have the original box, and we can't double tow. The RV dealers also provide a test but it's not required under the legislation. The document below indicates that 5 other Canadian provinces have the same weight exemption.

www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=6402

New Ford 450 1 month 4 weeks ago #24

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 33

• Redwood/2016/39MB
I just wonder how many Escapees using the Livingston, Texas address don't have the proper license then??

Michelle & Ann
2011 Chevy 3500HD Ext Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

New Ford 450 1 month 4 weeks ago #25

mhs4771 wrote: I just wonder how many Escapees using the Livingston, Texas address don't have the proper license then??

It's a valid question...If they have domiciled in Texas, then they need the Class A. In reality, when outside the State, I doubt any one would know or care (other States). Just the Insurance Company when it came time to pay up...(due to an accident).

In one respect, this would be a valid reason for a nationwide license. Not State. Then, they could set up a national driving test. When you stop and think about it, we do drive a lot of national highways.

The same for fishing and hunting licenses.In fact, the AARP is pushing for a national license. They are encouraging everyone to sign the petition.

www.facebook.com/FishingPetition/

Are we THE United States or established territories?

Speaking of AARP, here is a website for free things you might not know about...

www.aarp.org/money/budgeting-saving/info...ertime-freebies.html

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!