Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Towing in sub freezing temp

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #1

Hey gang. We are getting ready to hit the road from NC to Texas and was wondering if I should drain my tanks and lines during traveling. Never pulled in sub 32 temps. Need some ideas on possible tank and line damage.
Thanks
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #2

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 414

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
We depart for California next month and expect some freezing temps through Oregon & Northern California. Our coach is currently winterised, so I will keep it that way until reaching at least Redding.

If your coach isn't winterised, I would at least empty the tanks and drain the lines. Some have also ran the furnace while towing through freezing temps.

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #3

• Piperguy
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 107

• Tilda
  • “Piperguy’s
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
Ken, I'm currently stopped in Roanoke Rapids NC for a week until we leave on the 4th for Savannah. With the daytime temps in the 30's, as long as the rig was totally warm the night before (furnace on and basement warm) I don't think I'd bother emptying tanks. I towed down here on th 27th from Baltimore and it was 17 when I loaded up. Did not run furnace and temps got to about 31 later in day. No issues when we got here.

I'm not planning on doing anything special next week when we leave here.

Just my opinion,

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.
Last Edit: by Piperguy.

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #4

When we leave here on Tuesday from Sanford, NC it is expected to be 15 degrees.

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #5

x

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #6

x

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #7

x

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #8

we will be travelling south the temp will rise to approx. 34 during the day then we will crank the heat up when we get there so I am thinking it should be alright. will drain the grey and black and maybe the fresh. about 5 hours traveling that day.

Last Edit: by Kenneth and Donna.

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #9

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 138

Kenneth and Donna wrote: we will be travelling south the temp will rise to approx. 34 during the day then we will crank the heat up when we get there so I am thinking it should be alright. will drain the grey and black and maybe the fresh. about 5 hours traveling that day.

That sounds like what we do when heading south from Canada in November.

I start with empty tanks. If it's going to be below freezing overnight on our first stop I put some freash water in the tank and not hook up a water hose, we run the furnace to keep us and the plumbing warm. Next morning I empty the tanks and on the road I monitor the outside temperature closely and if it's around or above freezing we have been OK. I haven't tried running the furnace on the road, but if the temps are consistently below freezing you could pull into a rest area and run the furnace while getting a coffee, that would put some more heat into the basement area to keep it warm.

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #10

• Toms38GK
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 23

• “Toms38GK’s
  • Redwood/2014/38GK14
Ken one thing you could do to help out your water lines is pick up an air adapter and blow out the lines. It screws right onto your city water connection and using an oil-less compressor set the air to 40 pounds and have someone on the inside open the faucets while you charge the lines with the air chuck, blowing the water out of all the lines. If you leave water in your hot water heater just put the valve to winterize in the convenience compartment and you can blow out the hot water lines too. 34 degrees you should be good but having most of the water out of the lines will help from breaking anything if it does freeze especially in the faucets. If you have the air compressor pretty cheap insurance for those marginal days of cold weather travel days that only takes a couple of minutes. The only other thing is be very careful on those bridges your cross for any black ice.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch!!!

1999 Volvo VNL 610 12.7 Ltr detroit D-60 series, 10 speed Eaton Transmission (new to us rig)
2003 Ram 3500, The Beast (retired)
2014 Redwood 38GK, The Beast Tamer

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #11

When we left this morning it was 15 degrees . We kept the heat on as long as we could then we left. We drove the interstate and arrived at our location @ 3pm. When we opened up the house it was 45 degrees inside so we were good. The sunshine helped I guess. I did pour some RV anti freeze into the grey tanks so the valves would not freeze and that worked also. So all is good. Thanks for your advice.

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #12

Ken,
Are you guys landed in Texas now for the winter?

George & Lisa

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #13

Yes we are. We will be in Willis, TX at Lake Conroe. Where are you guys?

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #14

Kenneth and Donna wrote: Yes we are. We will be in Willis, TX at Lake Conroe. Where are you guys?

We are hoping to head that way... may even be in Willis. I will let you know. We are still in Colorado. We've had a rough month. George's mom died a couple days before Christmas (from the flu). Because we had to go back to Indiana, we had some medical testing delayed. George was given a lung cancer diagnosis and we were moving forward with that... when the doctors said "oops, we were wrong". Now looking at heart. I'm not sure how long he will let them poke at him. He told someone yesterday we are leaving Colorado by the end of the month, regardless of what doctor says. :(

George & Lisa

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #15

PricelessRVAdventures wrote:

Kenneth and Donna wrote: Yes we are. We will be in Willis, TX at Lake Conroe. Where are you guys?

We are hoping to head that way... may even be in Willis. I will let you know. We are still in Colorado. We've had a rough month. George's mom died a couple days before Christmas (from the flu). Because we had to go back to Indiana, we had some medical testing delayed. George was given a lung cancer diagnosis and we were moving forward with that... when the doctors said "oops, we were wrong". Now looking at heart. I'm not sure how long he will let them poke at him. He told someone yesterday we are leaving Colorado by the end of the month, regardless of what doctor says. :(

George! That's tough news. I hope they figure it out pretty soon - those aren't things to take lightly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PricelessRVAdventures

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #16

PricelessRVAdventures wrote:

My gosh Lisa - what a plate full! So sorry to hear about your loss; my sincere condolences to you and George. My hope is that you will have a good report on any further testing and George will be given a clean bill of health.

Hang in there... you're a trooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PricelessRVAdventures

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #17

After some of the health issues in our house that have been created by doctors, we've come to the conclusion that doctors can also kill you.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #18

Danny and Linda wrote: After some of the health issues in our house that have been created by doctors, we've come to the conclusion that doctors can also kill you.

I don't disagree with that!

George & Lisa

Towing in sub freezing temp 1 year 10 months ago #19

Danny and Linda wrote: After some of the health issues in our house that have been created by doctors, we've come to the conclusion that doctors can also kill you.

Definitely agree with that.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.