• Page:

TOPIC: Does the factory do a PDI ?

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 1 day ago #1

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 4

• Redwood/2019/3401
Hi Everyone,

I was curious to know. Does the factory do a PDI on the trailer before it leaves the factory ? With the different problems on the trailers it seems that there is no inspection done before the trailer leaves the factory on it's way to the dealer. I bought a New Holland compact diesel tractor a few years ago and there in the manuals was an inspection form filled out with different things checked off and also the signature off the person you did the inspection with the date of the inspection. My doing something like this could save Redwood money in the long term. Plus also have a better customer relationship knowing the factory has some pride in their workmanship.

For the people that have been on the factory tour. Have you seen anything like this done ?

Look for thoughts and opinions,
Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 1 day ago #2

• Rtimesoon
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 47
Al, I worked for Forest River for 15 years, and now work for Keystone. Yes there are various tests and sign offs along the way. RVIA also inspects units on line and off line at their descretion if necessary. Travelers are signed off by group leaders before units travel to the next station of the build. The paperwork becomes part of the permanent paperwork for the company and could be used in legal cases if it becomes necessary. Air tests, water testing, appliance burn off, polarity checks, continuity etc and inspection is done throughout the process. Things do change and components do fail. And our great earthquake shattering roads don't help the components either. THese documents are not visible to the consumer but are on record at the corresponding corporations if needed. Data recording like TIN, or tire information is recorded in case there is a recall for a particular size and date code. Components get documented during their install from water pump, converter, inverter, tv's, appliances and basically anything with a serial number in case of warranty issues.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iceman1777

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 1 day ago #3

• Oriana
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank You(s): 369

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
In addition to the response from Chris.

Sometime in 2014, then GM Jim initiated a thorough GM's inspection of at least 1 coach, per week, as it came off the production line.

In 2016, current President Ryan Juday constructed a PDI facility at the factory. I believe this was completed in late Fall 2016. Since then every coach is supposed to have a factory PDI, before being shipped to the dealer.

However, as Chris noted this isn't how the coach may arrive at the dealer. In our case the delivery is about 3,000 miles. The responsibility lies with the dealer to ensure everything works before delivery to the customer. Sadly, not all dealers provide the same level of service.

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 23 hours ago #4

Al,
When I went on the factory tour, I did see several Quality Assurance people working on the line. I'm not disparaging their work at all, but it is not as intense as the inspection you would give it. That said, I was fortunate enough to see my unit just before it headed to paint. Most QA items were addressed. The unit before mine was awash in orange tape or stickies. Clearly items that needed attention. So the short answer is yes, they do inspect units to a degree before they leave. But thats not where I think your problem lies.

The unit then made a drive to your dealer. A drive by a transportation company that needs to travel fast. Over Indiana/Michigan roads, that bounce the unit all over the place. Sawdust will be everywhere. It arrives without batteries, or propane. So you know those systems have to be checked. Water and waste tanks haven't been filled or drained. These has been no need to test the venting systems because, well there is nothing in the tanks. no need to run the heater, A/C, TV etc. The RV industry is not like the auto industry. There is no JD Power awards for quality, or craftsmanship. They rely heavily on the dealer network to supplement their labor force in making sure the unit is as prepared as possible when you get it.

I truly don't believe they set out to make a sub standard, or even unsafe product but there are forces at work here that won't allow them build a better unit. I always hear people say the manufacturer just wants to cut costs and produce the product as inexpensively as possible maintaining a acceptable level of quality and that is absolutely true, in every business. I just came back from spending a few days in Elkhart,IN. It was quite an experience. The small city and surrounding area is truly a boom town. The local McDonalds had a sign that offered $2500 signing bonus for a shift manager. There were help wanted signs literally everywhere. I spoke to people who said if the plant didn't want them, they could work anywhere else the next day. They struggle to keep employees for more than 3 months at a time. Then there is the issue of demand. I watched hundreds of new RVs leave the area every day. its like a nationwide housing boom being supported by a small town.

None of this excuses the poor quality of the products, but we as consumers keep buying them so what is the message we are sending. The RVIA is not a regulatory body, its a industry supported self policing group run by the very same people producing the product. We don't have an independent watch dog like CSA,UL, or even local building inspectors involved. Products are designed by people who have never spent a week traveling in one, let alone full time for a few years (Sorry Tim). Yet we still rush to buy them.

So back to your point, you got screwed by the dealer. I have read your posts and frankly I am completely shocked that any dealer would let a unit go with known issues like yours. your dealer should have gone through the unit with a fine tooth comb before you ever arrived. The should check every system. Open every drawer. Fill every tank, start every appliance. Then they should invite you in, even challenge you to find something they missed. Its worth noting Redwood knows the dealer has to do an exhaustive PDI. The count on it, and even make posting warranty a little easier during a PDI period. Some of the blame falls on Redwood for sure, but the dealer is the very last stop. Clearly he failed. Some of the blame also falls on you for not researching who you should buy from, and what you should be looking at.

Im sorry your having to go through this now, but the good news is you can still make it right. Find a good servicing dealer. Work through whatever issues are left on your coach no matter how small. Have a punch list and try and get through as many as you can between now and July. Then for goodness sake go to the Rally and let them fix the rest.

My experience with the people at Redwood is that they want you to be happy. They don't want to make a crappy product. They would love to have long term employees that have pride in workmanship. Most of all they would love to have satisfied customers. However, todays circumstances, and our buying expectations don't support that. My experiences with dealers is that there are some, who value a "customer for life" and others who know there are 10 new customers coming in every day.

Cheers,
John

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 22 hours ago #5

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2019/3401
Hi Everyone,

Thank you guys for the comments. This is what I was looking for. Please keep the comments coming. I am learning. The dealer that I went to talked about being one of the top fifty dealers in the USA. I think I just might include this link of this thread in an email to the sales person and the manager at the dealership from where I bought the trailer from.

Please keep the comments coming,
Al

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 19 hours ago #6

• Oriana
  • NOW ONLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Al,

Having read your posts and ended up shaking my head, I have no idea how your dealer could make a statement that they are in the top 50 dealers, and maintain a straight face.

In my opinion the only list your dealer would make is the top 50, with the most complaints. No dealer should charge the customer to prepare the coach and removing all the protective film should be their first task.

Did they even provide 2 batteries and fill the propane?

The exceptional dealers are the ones that have everything running and working in the coach, after testing all the systems.

My suggestion, is after advising the business you purchased your Redwood from (sorry they don't deserve to be referred to as a dealer), go do some research and find yourself a RW dealer, who provides customer service.

A call to RW customer service may assist in finding a dealer in your vicinity.

If you have the time to write a detailed report of your dealer experience and post delivery issues, please send it to me by email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and I will forward to the RW Executive Management team.

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 11 hours ago #7

• Paul Bridges
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 86

• “Paul
  • Redwood/2015/38RL
...and right there is the value of the Redwood Owners Group instead of just a forum. Well worth supporting.

Paul & Tracy Bridges
2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 KR CC LB DRW 6.7L PSD
1924 Ford Model T
1958 Rainbow TT by Edwards ( 1958rainbow.blogspot.com )

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 2 hours ago #8

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2019/3401

Iceman1777 wrote: ...and right there is the value of the Redwood Owners Group instead of just a forum. Well worth supporting.

Hi Paul,

I did join the ROG. I am planning to go to the national rally.

Al

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 2 hours ago #9

• Paul Bridges
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 86

• “Paul
  • Redwood/2015/38RL

alan0043 wrote:

Iceman1777 wrote: ...and right there is the value of the Redwood Owners Group instead of just a forum. Well worth supporting.

Hi Paul,

I did join the ROG. I am planning to go to the national rally.

Al

Thank you! I wish we had a more direct way to get the word to owners. The ROG is a group of owners helping owners, with the two great benefits of organizing the national Rally, which Redwood highly supports, and having a direct contact with the Redwood Management Team. Plus some discounts and cool shirts :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oriana

Paul & Tracy Bridges
2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 KR CC LB DRW 6.7L PSD
1924 Ford Model T
1958 Rainbow TT by Edwards ( 1958rainbow.blogspot.com )

Does the factory do a PDI ? 4 weeks 28 minutes ago #10

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2019/3401

Oriana wrote: Al,

Having read your posts and ended up shaking my head, I have no idea how your dealer could make a statement that they are in the top 50 dealers, and maintain a straight face.

In my opinion the only list your dealer would make is the top 50, with the most complaints. No dealer should charge the customer to prepare the coach and removing all the protective film should be their first task.

The exceptional dealers are the ones that have everything running and working in the coach, after testing all the systems.

My suggestion, is after advising the business you purchased your Redwood from (sorry they don't deserve to be referred to as a dealer), go do some research and find yourself a RW dealer, who provides customer service.

If you have the time to write a detailed report of your dealer experience and post delivery issues, please send it to me by email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and I will forward to the RW Executive Management team.

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your kind offer. It could take me a little time to collect all my thoughts together. I know I sound like a broken record. I apology for being so negative at times. I bought a Redwood because of a friend of mind. He really enjoys his trailer.

The trailer did come with 2 batteries and propane. The dealer that I bought the trailer from was the closest dealer to me. From northeast Ohio it is a 4 hour drive south.

I am looking forward to the national rally to meet up with some good people and be able to talk to the Redwood reps. It should be a 4 hour drive to the rally.

Thank you to everyone willing to help me,
Al

Does the factory do a PDI ? 3 weeks 6 days ago #11

• Jim and Mary
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank You(s): 51

• “Jim
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
Al
Just to make you feel a little better, it's about a 45-50 hour drive to the rally for us and have made two of them. Thoroughly enjoyed them both. Well worth it for both the rally and the surrounding countryside.

Jim & Mary Butters, Maggie (furry kiddo)
2013 Redwood 36RL
MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box Goodyear G114 17.5's Titan Disc Brakes, Residential fridge Winegard Travel'r rooftop TST TPMS

2015 Ford F350 KR DRW

Does the factory do a PDI ? 3 weeks 6 days ago #12

• Oriana
  • NOW ONLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL

Jim and Mary wrote: Al
Just to make you feel a little better, it's about a 45-50 hour drive to the rally for us and have made two of them. Thoroughly enjoyed them both. Well worth it for both the rally and the surrounding countryside.

Hi Jim - I can only wish we could make it in 50 hrs. Any chance you are heading East next year?

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Does the factory do a PDI ? 3 weeks 3 days ago #13

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2019/3401

Jim and Mary wrote: Al

Hi Jim,

It sounds like you are coming from 'The Great White North'. I am glad that the national rally is so close to my home.

Al

Last Edit: by alan0043.

Does the factory do a PDI ? 3 weeks 3 days ago #14

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2019/3401

Oriana wrote: Al,

Hi Andy,

Thank you again for your willingness to help me out. I have sent you an email with some details about the trailer. There is also some pictures included.

Thank you,
Al

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu