8 k axles, I S, and disc brakes

27 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We have a 2016 Redwood and am thinking about changing axels to 8k and putting in independent suspension and disc brakes. Cost $6250. Is it worth the cost? Have been told you can set a coffee cup on bar and it will not fall when traveling. Any thoughts?

Posted : March 14, 2018 11:26 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

My thoughts are that it is an upgrade that will pay for itself over time.. The ride quality you get from the IS combined with the stopping power increase, ALL topped off by the piece of mind . PRICELESS

I added the discs from Ron first, then the following year I went to Indiana and had the 8K IS installed.. What a difference.

The cherry on top was the 17.5's.. I now HAVE NO WORRIES ABOUT MY RUNNING GEAR UNDER ME...

Posted : March 14, 2018 11:33 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Welcome to the group! Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think your option is either 8k axles OR independent suspension. Many owners have switched to IS and so far I have not seen anyone dissatisfied with it. Disc brakes are a great upgrade - we will probably do this at the Rally this summer. In October I replaced our original 7k springs and Equi-Flex with 8k springs and Dexter EZ-Flex, and they have been fine so far so I probably won't do IS yet. The 7k springs flattened out.

Check out the "Information on 2018 Rally" on the left menu, and you'll see the MORyde and Performance Trailer Braking rally specials to give you some comparison.

Posted : March 14, 2018 11:38 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Just so it's clear.........when you get the IS installed, there are no more axles underneath afterwards. You also have your choice of 7K, 8K, or 9K. Most of us on here have chosen the 8K for the peace of mind regarding load capacity. The extra cost above the 7K is nominal. So please don't put 8K axles on and then decide to have the IS installed.

Posted : March 14, 2018 12:31 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks for the explanation. This cleared up confusion that I had with this issue.

Posted : March 14, 2018 1:48 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : March 14, 2018 8:33 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I am scheduled for upgrade to IS on June 25th. Had disc brakes done last year in Fl. by Ron's crew. What a difference. Looking forward to the IS upgrade. Maybe even a new pin to.

Posted : March 14, 2018 8:36 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Lets not get carried away here. Yes the IS is more than other options, $3750 Rally price for the 8K IS, but no more springs or shackles to break or axle tube to bend. If it does get out of alignment it can be brought back in without bending axles. The overall smoother ride saves alot of wear and tear on the frame and just about everything else in the RW, plus with the Independent Suspension and a good Pin Box there is less energy transferred to the TV.

Posted : March 14, 2018 8:52 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : March 14, 2018 8:57 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : March 14, 2018 9:08 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

In response to the OP. Since you are registered for the rally, I suggest checking the MOR/ryde and Performance Trailer Braking special sheets currently posted on the website. Lippert will also be providing rally specials, but I have not received their information yet.

As others have stated, with IS you have no axles. You should also consider the Centrepoint System, which is considerably cheaper than IS. It provides a significant ride improvement, but is probably not as good as IS.

The other option to consider is 17.5" H-rated tires.

Posted : March 14, 2018 11:38 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I was considering upgrading our 7K axles to 8K however per Michael at Performance Braking today the upgrade is not safely possible per LCI. So it looks like the IS upgrade is in my future (and hopefully the 8K ones).

Posted : March 15, 2018 12:41 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : March 15, 2018 8:20 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I agree 100% with Gregg on this..... There are people that upgrade from 7K to 8k axles all the time... heck, If memory serves me, Ron swapped out his 7K for 8k not too long before retiring and selling Performance Braking..??

NOW, If you have the SRE4000, upgrading to the 8K is NOT POSSIBLE.. You would have to change to the 3000 version I believe.. Or the IS...

In my eyes, by the time you pay for 8k axles, new buggy springs ( some have been breaking ) , HD shackles and wet bolts, all hardware, and MORryde components... Your probably close to 1/3 of the IS cost.. so for an additional 2k, you loose ALL the worries ...Just My Opinion..

FYI for Gregg -

I paid $3750 for the 8k IS....

Posted : March 15, 2018 8:48 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : March 15, 2018 9:47 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: