114 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
30.3 K Views
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I want to replace my 18,000 pound Triglide pin box with a 20,000 pound unit. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best Pin box to buy?

Posted : January 24, 2017 9:54 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Apparently there are problems with the Tri Glide gliding plate. If you call Lippert and complain they will offer to replace the lower hinged jaw at no cost.

Posted : January 24, 2017 12:50 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

They just sent me a new lower jaw with the fixed plate.
Great Customer Service.

Rick

Posted : January 24, 2017 2:42 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

When the Glide portion of my Tri Glide broke on the Road, I had it welded stationary, making it a fixed plate.
I did not like the ride at all, much more chucking.
Redwood / Lippert sent me a whole new Tri Glide Pin Box, much better ride.
I was not comfortable with the Tri Glide after the failure on the road in the Middle of No Where.
I switched to the MoRyde Pin Box while at MoRyde getting the IS Suspension installed.
I now have a great ride and not worried about having to air up the Air Bag on the hitch all the time or a Pin Box Failure in the Middle of No Where !!!

Posted : January 24, 2017 8:53 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Lippert replaced my lower jaw with a fixed jaw as well. 3 or 4 months out of warranty, and the only question they asked was where to send it. I was afraid there would be chucking, but the air bag seems to stop it.

Posted : January 24, 2017 9:24 PM
(@Anonymous)

Just me, but that Tri-glide was an expensive option and if it fails under warranty they should be sending you a replacement of equivalent features, not a stationary plate (out of warranty, OK). That's like sending you bolts to bolt your slide permanently shut because the Schwintek failed and they realized it was a bad design.

Posted : January 24, 2017 10:42 PM
(@Anonymous)

Hi everyone I just purchased a 2016 Redwood 31 sl. Should I have any concerns about this trail air pin box . I will be retiring in about six months so the fifth wheel hasn't been used yet.

Posted : January 25, 2017 7:15 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

It depends on which model trail air you have. If it has a fixed pin plate you are fine.

Posted : January 26, 2017 10:46 AM
(@Anonymous)

Thank you not sure if it's fixed or not. How would I know if it's fix or not

Posted : January 26, 2017 11:27 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Does the plate right above the pin have 3 grease fittings on each side ? If so it is the Tri Glide and will be suspect. If not, you're fine.

Posted : January 26, 2017 3:28 PM
(@Anonymous)

Yes it has the three grease fittings. I called Redwood and they said they know nothing about it. Then I called Lippert and they said yes there was a recall on it to send them pictures they would give me a case number and send me the replacement part to be put on either by me or an RV Center .

Posted : January 26, 2017 3:36 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Seems amazing that Lippert claims there is a recall on these pin boxes and that redwood claims to have no knowledge of it. We never received a recall or any notice of a problem with our hitch. Bad job by Redwood! The consequences of a failure are severe and even disastrous.

Posted : January 26, 2017 4:07 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We are currently in San Diego with a glide plate that is falling off on one side. Awaiting a new bottom jaw sent at no charge from Lippert to change out the part before we can proceed on our trip. I suggest that Andy should call Tim Cress and make sure that the management of redwood knows that Lippert has a recall on these parts which were furnished on many of the redwood models. At the national rally last summer we even saw brand-new redwood units with Triglide pin boxes on them.

Posted : January 26, 2017 4:12 PM
(@Anonymous)

Yes I agree when redwood told me they had no recalls on my 2016 redwood I though everything was ok with my pin box. But after calling Lippert they told me it need to be replaced at no cost to me. If I hadn't called Lippert I would have never know about the problem.

Posted : January 26, 2017 4:19 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We are currently in San Diego with a glide plate that is falling off on one side. Awaiting a new bottom jaw sent at no charge from Lippert to change out the part before we can proceed on our trip. I suggest that Andy should call Tim Cress and make sure that the management of redwood knows that Lippert has a recall on these parts which were furnished on many of the redwood models. At the national rally last summer we even saw brand-new redwood units with Triglide pin boxes on them.

Hi Terry,

We are in Indio, so I have sent a note to Tim requesting he check into the issue and advise. I note the Redwood website does not list a recall for the tri-glide.

Will advise regarding the response from Tim.

Posted : January 26, 2017 8:59 PM
Page 1 / 8
Share: