Main Door doesn't l...

Notifications
Clear all

Main Door doesn't latch easily

22 Posts
7 Users
1 Reactions
(@Anonymous)

RV Repairman says that friction hinges have caused door frame to bend and that the door will need to be replaced. Has anyone been through this?

Redwood is telling that they will require me to bring the RV into a dealer to resolve even though I am living in the unit. Doesn't make sense to me that replacing a door would require taking the entire unit in. Until is a 2016 38RL and we are on the road.

Posted : May 15, 2017 2:00 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Sounds like a load of ___ (pick your favorite phrase)

Doors don't bend or warp because of hinges.

You could have an alignment issue though.

First, just try some good ol' fashioned lube spray on the hinges and latch. I spray ours about once a month. When missed, you can tell a real difference.

If you still think its a frame, just take a long level and see what you have. The RV has an aluminum frame. Not wood. It would be hard to warp the frame.

Posted : May 15, 2017 7:32 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Those friction hinges have been a PITA to most everyone that has them. Mine doesnt have them fortunately so I'm sorry I'm not any help, but lubricating them with some silicone spray couldn't hurt.
Also on all the latch striker surfaces, main door & all compartment doors, I use a piece of parafin wax, it seems to help.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : May 15, 2017 10:00 PM
(@Anonymous)

Sounds like a load of ___ (pick your favorite phrase)

Doors don't bend or warp because of hinges.

Oh but they sure do! It separates the door core from the surrounding frame. You need to try one of those anti-sail doors -they are terrible.

Posted : May 15, 2017 10:29 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Danny look in tech section for the repair/adjustment that Redwood sent to me and you can try it yourself. It did some good on mine and the results can be lived with by us. it will take you about 30 minutes to complete. AND YES THEY DO WARP, and some have had to go in the shop and get replaced.

Posted : May 15, 2017 11:10 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

My 2014 has the Anti-Sail / Friction Hinges on both my entry doors.
I have been living in my Redwood Fulltime now for 3 years and no issues with the doors or alignment.

Posted : May 16, 2017 9:34 AM
(@Anonymous)

I'd be delighted to pay for someone to fix door if they send instructions rather than having to take it in.

Posted : May 16, 2017 7:42 PM
(@Anonymous)

I will try the lube and wax to see if it can at least hold me over. Thanks.

Posted : May 16, 2017 7:43 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I've been told by my dealer and by crossroads that the door swells it extreme heat,cause the temps drop at the end of the day the door work great

Posted : May 17, 2017 1:30 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

I've been told by my dealer and by crossroads that the door swells it extreme heat,cause the temps drop at the end of the day the door work great

NOW that one sounds like a load of ____!
If that were the case everyone in southern Arizona would be complaining of doors sticking.
Sounds like that dealer wants you to go some where else, which after that comment is what I'd do.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : May 17, 2017 11:55 AM
(@Anonymous)

So in a fire it must just weld itself shut 🙂 Good thing there are escape windows.

Posted : May 17, 2017 1:14 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

That's why in the heat of the afternoon my RW feels noticeably bigger, it's all swole up!!

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : May 17, 2017 5:48 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Well Crossroads say the same thing about the heat. Also after the sun goes behind the trees,it's a whole different door (no sticking). By the way I'm in Tucson right now, don't have nearly this problem back in northern Michigan

Posted : May 17, 2017 10:58 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

We had about the same problems with our door. When you push on the latch side to shut it, you can see the panel move away from the frame around the door on the hinge side. I bet you have a white line running up the door panel along the frame on the hinge side.

Since you are in Tucson, go to Lazy Dayz and talk to John Sportsman in service. They replaced our door in April 2016. They did a great job matching the paint. Went back a month later for another fix and he told me they have 4 more doors they were getting ready to replace. They should know what to tell RW to get the door replaced.

For now, you can remove 1 of the hinge fingers on the top and bottom hinges to lighten the load on the door.

If you do not want to replace the door. I can tell you how to "Fix" your current door.

Rick

Posted : May 18, 2017 12:46 PM
(@Anonymous)

Thanks again for your ideas. Tried both the silicone and the wax and much better!

Posted : May 26, 2017 8:33 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: