2019 3951WB Winterization

23 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Anyone have any suggestions for winterizing a 2019 3951WB, specifically introducing rv antifreeze into the coach? I believe that I need to connect a antifreeze inlet hose to the city water connection and then switch the bypass pump to winterize. I think this will draw the antifreeze into the system, but not sure. Just picked up the trailer a month ago, lousy walkthrough with the dealer, and I need to build the inlet hose myself.The directions on the convenience center are terrible.
Thanks!

Posted : October 2, 2019 11:48 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Really not sure about the new Redwoods; our elder coaches have a pull out hose with a cap on it in the "convenience center" (where the water inlet connections are). On our coaches that hose pulls out long enough to stick into a gallon jug of RV anti-freeze. The next step involves opening the small door access on the basement aft wall on the driver's side to locate the water pump. There should be a quarter turn valve inline with the pump inlet. That needs to be shut off to isolate the fresh water tank from the pump. Now when you remove the pull out hose cap (there should be a screen filter on the end), and stick into the RV anti-freeze jug. Now when you turn on the pump, it should pump up the water lines until the pressure switch shuts it off. Then alternately open faucets, shower, toilet lines one at a time. Anti-freeze should come out of the opening. Shut off the opening and move to the next one. Make sure that the siphon hose remains below the anti-freeze level in the jug until done. Don't forget the ice maker line (if equipped) and dishwasher (if equipped). Then you're done!!

Posted : October 2, 2019 1:00 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks Jim and Mary (Funny, that is my and my wife's name as well!). I was confused because there is no pull out hose on this unit, and I have to actually purchase and build my own inlet hose from Lowes. I pulled the back cover off of the center to see if there was a hose connector for that purpose on the pump itself, there was not. I am assuming that they made the process easier based on exeperiences in the past. Experienced camper here, I owned a 2009 Carriage Cameo that I traded in for this unit, everthing was pretty straight forward on that unit, this one...not so much! Thanks for the help!

Posted : October 2, 2019 1:19 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Thanks Jim and Mary (Funny, that is my and my wife's name as well!). I was confused because there is no pull out hose on this unit, and I have to actually purchase and build my own inlet hose from Lowes. I pulled the back cover off of the center to see if there was a hose connector for that purpose on the pump itself, there was not. I am assuming that they made the process easier based on exeperiences in the past. Experienced camper here, I owned a 2009 Carriage Cameo that I traded in for this unit, everthing was pretty straight forward on that unit, this one...not so much! Thanks for the help!

My '13 had the hose also in the lower left corner of the convenience center.
Guess they decided to save a $1.25 in their build expenses.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : October 2, 2019 5:24 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

my 2020 does NOT have a hose either... I just figured that I would need to loosen the wall and get to the water pump to see if there is a hose there...I guess I need a PLAN B ......

Posted : October 2, 2019 7:48 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Brings up an interesting question: With no winterization hose and no gravity fill for the fresh water tank, how do you get antifreeze in??
Wouldn't bother us as we take the RW where the weather's warm, but for those poor RWs stuck in the Northern Tundra what do they do.
I winterize our house by blowing the water out of all the lines, draining the Hot Water Heater, and putting the Pink Kool-aid into all traps and the toilets. So the same could be done with the RW.

Posted : October 2, 2019 7:57 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Okay, figured it out. Went to Lowes, purchased 3/4 x 10' clear vinyl hose and a 3/4 barb to male 3/4 hose connector. Connected the tubing to the city water connector. Filled a bucket of water and placed the end of the hose in it. Switched the valve to winterization and turned on the water pump. Had the wife turn on the kitchen faucet and it worked, sucked up the water just fine. So it looks like the designers listened to the owners and simplified the process, no screws to remove to get to a valve inside the wall! I don't understand why they do not supply stuff like this for a rig of this caliber...

Posted : October 2, 2019 9:55 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

OK.... It looks like i am off to Home Depot later today.. I have 2 weekends left then wrap her up for winter.... Thanks for the tip !

Posted : October 3, 2019 8:27 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

And if you have Hepvo traps, there's no need to use antifreeze in them. They don't hold any fluid.

Posted : October 3, 2019 3:00 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Yes, I have one in the kitchen,thanks!

Posted : October 5, 2019 9:52 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I pumped antifreeze through the 5th wheel, including the kitchen, shower, vanity, toilet, outdoor shower and then left the bucket and siphon hose set up and let the ice maker make a couple batches of pink ice cubes. I also did the washer hookup even though I don't have a washer. I then opened the low point drains and noticed two more water hookups under the convienence center with quarter turn valves on them. Never knew they were there. You may want to crawl around under there and check yours out. We have a 2019 - 3601

Posted : October 16, 2019 10:37 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Can you take a photo of the valves? I found some low point drains (4 total) but not any valves. Where are they specifically located. Certainly concerned sice we are rapidly approaching winter in Colorado!
Thanks!

Posted : October 17, 2019 11:04 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

These two lines were located in the opening where you would run the fresh water hose to the convenience center. Maybe they're low point drains with quarter turn valves, I don't know!! I have two other low point drains with caps.

Posted : October 19, 2019 9:53 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

They look like they are your low point drains for sure... perhaps the others were for the fresh water tank?

Posted : October 20, 2019 1:36 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Yes, low point drains. One is for the ice maker. I checked with my service guy when I dropped it off for some warranty work. Another interesting suggestion he made was when you're done pumping antifreeze into the lines open all the low point drains and open the faucets. That will let the pink run out, so if freezing takes place in the lines there is room for expansion

Posted : October 21, 2019 2:17 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: