Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: full timer or not?

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #1

I am curious to know who in the forum or ROG is full time RV'ers, and how long? Who do not have a Stick and Brick. Just curious, as we will be in a year or so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #2

We just sold our RW in Jan after fulltiming for 10+ years & settled down in a modular home in a 55+ rv park which feels like we're still fulltiming .
Sold our S&B, got rid of all our "stuff", loaded up the 5er we had at the time & took off. The original 5er was older & was needing TLC at every stop so we traded for a new Big Country which wasn't designed as a fulltime rig so traded for the RW doing the last 6 years in it.
Your advantage is starting with a great fulltime coach thereby skipping a couple of our steps. My opinion is if you're able, DO IT & don't look back. We discussed when we 1st started out that we can always stop & get another S&B, but had to give a good try & VERY glad we did.
I know fulltime rving is not for everyone, but in our case I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. We've seen/done so much across this beautiful country, met countless great folks which we stay in touch with & still meet up with several of them occasionally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scottkaren

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Goat
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 16
We full time. Our Redwood is set up permanently on a lot we own in a year around campground. We have a class C we use to go camping. We did stays of multiple months for a few years when we owned travel trailers for about 5 years. Moved into the C for a few months last year while getting the S&B ready for sale. While in the C, we bought the lot and then the Redwood. The C is great for camping, and that's the reason we bought it. Not so great to live in full time. Unfortunately, I still work full time also, and will continue to do so as long as work really doesn't get on my nerves.

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #4

Sold everything about 6 years ago and have been on the road since then. We have not regretted a moment of it. And, we are not even considering landing any where yet. I told DW to throw an anchor out the window when she is done and wants to stop. She hasn't even reached for one yet!

2013 36FB
2013 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
500 Watt Solar/Morningstar 45 MPPT

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #5

We plan to do the same. If you ever head in to the last frontier let me know.
Scott
Arctic Cajun

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #6

• Piperguy
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 107

• Tilda
  • “Piperguy’s
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
We've owned our 2013 36RL since new. Plan was to full time. Sold house and all the stuff two years ago and went on the road working in the summer and traveling in the winter. Kids and grandkids are in the Baltimore MD area. We're currently in Page Az at Lake Powell for the last 10 months and may stay awhile. Both of us fell in love with the Lake and the high desert country. More than 43k miles on the coach and were not anywhere near done yet. Best decisiion we made. As Danny said, too many adventures and friends to count.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.
Last Edit: by Piperguy.

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #7

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 73

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
Sold our house and went Fulltime in 2011, hit a bump in the road, wife passed away after a few years of travel, she passed 3 months shy of our 40th anniversary.
Traveled fulltime for a little over a year, got married again, rented house with new wife for about a year and a half (Redwood parked in driveway resting), back fulltime as of December 2018.
Have a little less than 2 years to retirement, still travel with Redwood for work and pleasure quite a bit when not at our Home Base in North Florida.
Love the fulltime lifestyle freedom.

Robert, Sheryl & Bale (The Wonder Dog)
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114s, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #8

Thanks so much, It is amazing the different stories you hear. Sorry to hear about your wife's passing. Blessings to your and your new adventures.
Scott
Arctic Cajun

Last Edit: by Scottkaren.

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #9

Just don't think we could ever get rid of "home base" (in fact, just did some major upgrades). When towing our redwood once I asked the wife to look in the mirror down to the end of the Redwood and would she be OK with that being it - the full extent of "home", and she just couldn't deal with it. I guess for some it won't ever happen.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #10

I understand it is not for everyone, but you can do the traveling either way.
Thanks for the reply.
Blessings
Scott
Arctic Cajuns

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #11

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 408

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL

atom ant wrote: Just don't think we could ever get rid of "home base" (in fact, just did some major upgrades). When towing our redwood once I asked the wife to look in the mirror down to the end of the Redwood and would she be OK with that being it - the full extent of "home", and she just couldn't deal with it. I guess for some it won't ever happen.

Brad - we are similar, as we enjoy traveling by RV, ship or round the world flights for many months at a time, but still want a home close to the kids and grandkids for some rest and recuperation before setting of on another adventure.

We also have residency requirements to maintain our Provincial medical, so must be within BC for 5 months per year.

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #12

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 138
We consider ourselves "half timers", some years "three quarter timers". While it's nice to be on the road it's also nice to be home, enjoying the neighbourhood and community. We also get the opportunity to do some fixes to the RW in the driveway.

Being a "cheap Irishman" we also consider the loss of money on a house sale and a purchase when it comes time to hang up the keys, I hate lawyers and real estate folks making money off us!

full timer or not? 2 months 3 weeks ago #13

• Paul Bridges
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 130

• “Paul
  • Redwood/2015/38RL
We are full-timers since 2016. Sold our sticks and bricks in Arkansas, changed our residence to South Dakota for tax and vehicle insurance reasons, and love our Redwood home. We also enjoy not paying property tax, utilities, lawn upkeep, etc. and I would say that in 3 years our maintenance issues on the Redwood have been less than our S&B home.

No regrets and hope to get at least 17 more years of this lifestyle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob_Fla

Paul & Tracy Bridges
2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 KR CC LB DRW 6.7L PSD
1924 Ford Model T
1958 Rainbow TT by Edwards ( 1958rainbow.blogspot.com )

full timer or not? 2 months 2 weeks ago #14

I sold my house in 2016 and have been full-timing since and so far no regrets. I haven't moved though because I've got elderly parents in the area so need to stay close by. I live in a beautiful RV resort in Colorado though and even the winters aren't too bad. Eventually I'd like to hit the road and travel though.

My dad asks me if I've "become lazy" because I have no home maintenance and yard work and I just tell him "been there, done that!". Lol.

full timer or not? 2 months 2 weeks ago #15

That's awesome!

full timer or not? 2 months 2 weeks ago #16

We are new full timers our first day was 02/22/2019 after selling everything we couldn't take with us. Sold our home, 2 cars, cam-am motorcycle shut down our second career business and traded our 2014 motor home for a Ram 3500 duel. So far we are enjoying every minute. Spent a month in Florida Changing our domicile to Florida. Looking forward to Shipshewana Rally in July.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PricelessRVAdventures

full timer or not? 2 months 2 weeks ago #17

Life changed after my cancer diagnosis & treatment in 2016; but it was a blessing as we sat down and talked through our life's priorities. Being a slave working for our empty nest wasn't high on the list! So we sold our beautiful Florida home and everything in it (except 6 bins of keepsakes) and bought a gently used Redwood and new Ram 3500 dually. We were 1 yr stationary in Central Florida as hubby had a goal date for retirement and that worked out well as we went through our learning curve as RV newbies in a familiar
area. Headed on the road this past March and it's just great! We are loving the time we have to enjoy the simple things in life, biking, hiking, museums, more visits to family, and meeting new people from all over. We keep in touch with several of them and have plans to get together this winter in Arizona. Looking forward to meeting new friends at the Redwood Rally in July:) Paul was correct as repairs and upgrades are about the same as we would have spent on our S&B home. For peace of mind, we purchased a 5 yr warrantee for the big mechanical stuff. Youtube as well as this forum and the Redwood FB group have been a great way to learn and get tips. We plan to do this until we decide it's not fun any longer. Best of luck to you and hope to meet on the road!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.