Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upgrading to a 2016 RW38GK

Upgrading to a 2016 RW38GK 2 years 9 months ago #26

CFlohr wrote: Burnishing is a procedure...If it is not followed, I don't think you can drive 10,000 miles and get them properly burnished.

The good thing about hydraulic brakes? I don't think this is required.

Could you explain this "burnishing procedure" and just what is being accomplished.

Thank you,

Chuck[/quote]

Regardless whether it's drum or disc brakes whatever the burnishing process is/was the transporter hauled it across the country & burnished them for you in whatever/however he hauled a## to the dealer, so it's too late in my opinion to worry about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Upgrading to a 2016 RW38GK 2 years 9 months ago #27

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 81

• Redwood/2016/39MB
I would venture to say that probably 99.9% of RVers on the road today have never heard of this procedure let alone followed it.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Upgrading to a 2016 RW38GK 2 years 9 months ago #28

• nw snowbirds
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 86

• “nw
  • Redwood/2012/31sl

CFlohr wrote: Burnishing is a procedure...If it is not followed, I don't think you can drive 10,000 miles and get them properly burnished.

Could you explain this "burnishing procedure" and just what is being accomplished.

Thank you,

Chuck[/quote]

There is a Lippert manual that explains burnishing the brakes and describes the procedure but I cannot lay my hands on it right now. The procedure involves taking the rig on the road with new brakes and then slowing the rig from 40 mph to 20 miph only using the trailer brakes manually applied. Do this 20 times allowing the brakes to cool between slowdowns. After following this procedure my newly installed brakes worked great. You can bet that neither the factory nor the Gypsy haulers follow this procedure when delivering new trailers. That is probably why so many new owners are frustrated with the lack of braking.

2012 RW31SL chasing 2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4WD SRW

North Left Coast, WA

Upgrading to a 2016 RW38GK 2 years 9 months ago #29

• CFlohr
  • CFlohr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks! I believe I will do this after I fix the bad brake on the rear axle. Still can't believe I have to do so much on a brand new SO expensive camper :(

Upgrading to a 2016 RW38GK 2 years 9 months ago #30

CFlohr wrote: Thanks! I believe I will do this after I fix the bad brake on the rear axle. Still can't believe I have to do so much on a brand new SO expensive camper :(

All because some minimum wage assembly person was in a hurry to get out to do the job right. If I were Amish I would rather they didn't say their coach was "Amish built"! But now you know what's there & that it's correct & didn't have to leave it at a dealer for 6-8-12 weeks to do a 3-4 hour job.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Upgrading to a 2016 RW38GK 2 years 9 months ago #31

nw snowbirds wrote:

Thank you,

Chuck

There is a Lippert manual that explains burnishing the brakes and describes the procedure but I cannot lay my hands on it right now. The procedure involves taking the rig on the road with new brakes and then slowing the rig from 40 mph to 20 miph only using the trailer brakes manually applied. Do this 20 times allowing the brakes to cool between slowdowns. After following this procedure my newly installed brakes worked great. You can bet that neither the factory nor the Gypsy haulers follow this procedure when delivering new trailers. That is probably why so many new owners are frustrated with the lack of braking.[/quote]

Here is the procedure:

File Attachment:

File Name: Electric_Brakes_Owners_and_Service_Manual.pdf
File Size: 2,330 KB

This will explain the procedure. It starts on page 4...
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.