Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nearly an Electrical Fire Today

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #1

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today.

Well...Over the last couple of days, we (3 of us) kept noticing a very, very faint smell. I knew the smell well and I knew that it was not a good one. The problem was that it was so faint, I/we could not track it to the source. And to top it off, it wasn't all the time. Just walking in the area of the hallway would move what little bit you could smell.

Today, the bedroom lights went out. I started with the typical troubleshooting by verifying that fuses and breakers were all set. No problems there.

Next, I took out the bedroom light switch. I tried to verify voltage. It would fluctuate as I moved the wires. Looks like a lose wire somewhere...I didn't immediately find it. Then the light thermostat and A/C unit was erratically coming on and off. The joint must be up behind the thermostat.

Pulled down the thermostat. Pulled out the wires from the wall. There, I found something unexpected. It was a flat wire with telephone type ends on it. Pulled the light switch from the hall side. There is another one. They didn't go anywhere. They are just stuffed in the wall and go up toward the ceiling. Probably a new style thermostat wire for a future upgrade...

Back to the bedroom thermostat.

Pulled the remaining wires out. THERE is the culprit. Wires are very warm to the touch. ALMOST hot. Luckily, the only load was the thermostat. Thanks yet again Redwood. A loose wire nut that connects the thermostat and the light circuits (12V Circuit). The wire nut was melting. The wires were corroded and burned. No blown fuse. Just burning and melting. And you wonder why I am such a strong advocate of regulation and oversite. Just because it's 12 Volts, don't think it can't start a fire. ALL circuits should be made in a metal enclosure. You don't get away with no boxes (even fire rated plastic boxes) in your house. That's why there is CODE.

See pics...Come to your own conclusion. Just lucky that this didn't burn down the house (so to speak).

If you "think" you smell a burning wire, don't take it lightly. Start looking behind everything. This is a VERY serious issue that if left alone, could ruin your retirement...

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #2

• Jim and Mary
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank You(s): 48

• “Jim
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
Hey Gip, not sure about the GK, but it could be a pre-wire for an optional bedroom ceiling fan. Seems to me someone else awhile back found one of these and that's the opinion what it might be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GipCTravelers

Jim & Mary Butters, Maggie (furry kiddo)
2013 Redwood 36RL
MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box Goodyear G114 17.5's Titan Disc Brakes, Residential fridge Winegard Travel'r rooftop TST TPMS

2015 Ford F350 KR DRW

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #3

Jim and Mary wrote: Hey Gip, not sure about the GK, but it could be a pre-wire for an optional bedroom ceiling fan. Seems to me someone else awhile back found one of these and that's the opinion what it might be.

That would be a strange fitting for that...The wire size would be extremely small even at 12V. Hmmm....And there are 2 of these cords in there. That makes it even stranger.

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #4

Mine came wired with a phone jack in the convenience center terminating in the cabinet above the living room television, not a thoughtful spot, maybe they ran the wire & decided not to add the jacks.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #5

• Paul Bridges
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 76

• “Paul
  • Redwood/2015/38RL
Greg, first of all very thankful you caught this in time. You seem like the type who stay on top of unusual indications and didn’t just dismiss the symptoms. Good job!

On the unused phone cable, I remember reading a thread awhile back about the earlier coaches being wired for modem connections. Is it possible yours was in the final transition away from that? Seems like an odd place for a phone cable.

Paul & Tracy Bridges
2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 KR CC LB DRW 6.7L PSD
1924 Ford Model T
1958 Rainbow TT by Edwards ( 1958rainbow.blogspot.com )

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #6

That is really unusual for a wire nut, but glad you caught it! Usually the screw on wire nuts are considered a good connection. I don't believe there actually is a requirement for low voltage to be in an enclosure, even on a residential home. There is greater concern Code-wise with low voltage being combined in enclosures with high voltage (110), as the low voltage wire can't carry the load if there was a short. It's pretty common to see low voltage stuff just hidden behind the wall typically. There are also no limitations on having low voltage splices or terminations inside the wall, unlike high voltage where you cannot terminate or splice in a hidden or inaccessible location.

I'm confident Jim is correct - the old style remote controls for the Fan-Tastic fan used an RJ11 wire (telephone wire), and power went to the fan directly, rather than the switch. The RJ11 cable only carried control voltage. Today Fan-Tastic went wireless on their remote controls.

Attachments:

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #7

This is so scary. I mostly worry when I leave and my poor pups are left behind in my rig. Do you think the burning was caused by the wires not stranded together well within the wirenut which led to high resistance? Could there be a problem elsewhere in the circuit? Everywhere in our coaches there are exposed 12 volt connections made with wirenuts.

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #8

PunksRedwood wrote: This is so scary. I mostly worry when I leave and my poor pups are left behind in my rig. Do you think the burning was caused by the wires not stranded together well within the wirenut which led to high resistance? Could there be a problem elsewhere in the circuit? Everywhere in our coaches there are exposed 12 volt connections made with wirenuts.

My primary background is electrical in nature....When troubleshooting, I'm always looking for the root cause. Before taking this apart, I tool several photos and after holding the wires tightly and removing the cap, I could see that the wires were not all "inside" the cap. The person who put this particular cap on probably did not line the wires up properly before screwing on the cap and that cause a high resistance. High resistance leads to heat. Too much heat and you get a fire. The employees can get in too big of a hurry and there is little attention to quality anyway. Sometimes, I just wonder why they don't throw everything into a pile and call it good to get paid. Piece meal work...:angry:

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #9

GipCTravelers wrote: Before taking this apart, I tool several photos and after holding the wires tightly and removing the cap, I could see that the wires were not all "inside" the cap. The person who put this particular cap on probably did not line the wires up properly before screwing on the cap and that cause a high resistance. High resistance leads to heat.

That would do it :(

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #10

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 60

• Redwood/2016/39MB
How about a "Do It Yourself RV Kit"
The following user(s) said Thank You: GipCTravelers

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Nearly an Electrical Fire Today 1 week 3 days ago #11

mhs4771 wrote: How about a "Do It Yourself RV Kit"

That's hilarious when you think about it but practically true already...:unsure:

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 4.260 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu