Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Water Softener recommendations

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 3 days ago #1

• bama7239
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 0
Can anyone give me recommendations on a water softener? I've seen "on the Go" and "Softcell". We are full timers, stationary at a RV park in Florida right now. We have the 39MB. Trying to make the right decision. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 3 days ago #2

• Jim and Mary
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 57

• “Jim
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
We have used this softener since 2014 and have been pretty satisfied. Depending on where you are (inherent water hardness) you have to recharge with ordinary table salt on a varying frequency. We winter in AZ so have to recharge about every 10-15 days.

www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html

Jim & Mary Butters, Maggie (furry kiddo)
2013 Redwood 36RL
MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box Goodyear G114 17.5's Titan Disc Brakes, Residential fridge Winegard Travel'r rooftop TST TPMS

2015 Ford F350 KR DRW

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 3 days ago #3

• bama7239
  • NOW OFFLINE
Thank you for your reply, I think we are going to go with the On the Go double standard.

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 3 days ago #4

Jim and Mary wrote: We have used this softener since 2014 and have been pretty satisfied. Depending on where you are (inherent water hardness) you have to recharge with ordinary table salt on a varying frequency. We winter in AZ so have to recharge about every 10-15 days.

Have used the same since '13 & as stated, depending on incoming water quality, recharge every 2 weeks to 30 days.
The only drawback is it's a bit heavy. Mounted mine in a milk crate with a water filter with a sediment cartridge before the softener to help clean up the incoming water.

Travelin' Texans

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 3 days ago #5

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 396

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
We have used the same as Jim & Danny for past 5 years.

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 2 days ago #6

• Jim and Mary
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Jim
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
looks like a good choice to me. I'm sure they are very similar in construction and performance. The price is a bit more than we paid for ours, but that's certainly your choice. You won't believe the difference. We have the Fisher/Paykel dishwasher in our coach, and it will not properly wash the dishes without soft water.

2013 Redwood 36RL
MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box Goodyear G114 17.5's Titan Disc Brakes, Residential fridge Winegard Travel'r rooftop TST TPMS

2015 Ford F350 KR DRW

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 2 days ago #7

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Jim - the other thing we notice is minimal erosion of the sacrificial anode in the HW tank.

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 2 days ago #8

• bama7239
  • NOW OFFLINE
I was just thinking that a water softener will help with the anode rod in the WH.

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 2 days ago #9

Jim, Andy & I had the brown shower stalls & it was a huge pain to keep from water spotting before the softener, at least in ours.

Travelin' Texans

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 2 days ago #10

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Danny - yep, we have the same shower and same issues.

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 2 days ago #11

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 135
We have the On the Go double standard model and it works well, it came with water hardness test strips and a bottle of Iron Out for water with high iron levels. We use that stuff in our home softener because of the iron levels. Only complaint with the On the Go is that the lid at the top is hard to open, it's almost (but not quite) the size of a water filter wrench, it takes two people to open it as the whole assembly tends to turn instead of just the lid.

If you have to change the resin, a kit is available at Amazon and there is a U Tube video that gives step by step instructions, cheaper than having to replace the whole unit. Some RV parts folks can also do it for you.

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 1 day ago #12

• bama7239
  • NOW OFFLINE
Thank you for the advise on opening the water softener. Too bad its so hard to turn, but we will make it happen. Its been ordered and should arrive by Thursday.

Water Softener recommendations 3 months 8 hours ago #13

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE

bama7239 wrote: Thank you for the advise on opening the water softener. Too bad its so hard to turn, but we will make it happen. Its been ordered and should arrive by Thursday.

I just regenerated our softener yesterday and I pulled the brochure out, I note that On the Go sells a wrench that's specific to the lid as an accessory, I assume it can be ordered from their website.

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 4 weeks ago #14

602abcwater.com/collections/rv-filtration

I have the 16000 grain RV/boat unit, you can also get combo kits

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 3 weeks ago #15

A couple of questions for those with softeners -

When stored for a month or so, do they need to be drained?

If they are plumbed in front of the tank fill, can they handle the flow of filling an empty water tank?

For a vacationer or part timer, how do you know when it's time to refresh?

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 3 weeks ago #16

• Oriana
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Brad,

When going to storage, I pour a little water out of the top of the softener, but don't drain it. Mind you on the West Coast, except for the past month, we generally don't get much winter. When moving sites, I disconnect it and put it straight into the basement.

Affirmative, you could fill the FW tank with water from the softener outlet.

In addition to having test strips, we can usually tell when it requires a regeneration with salt. Time between regens varies with the hardness of the water. We have gone up to 2 months, but have also required one after about 3 weeks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: atom ant

Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
President - ROG

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 3 weeks ago #17

• Jim and Mary
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Jim
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
Brad
The maker of our Flo Pur 10000 recommends backflushing about twice a year and a disinfect after a long period of storage

2013 Redwood 36RL

2015 Ford F350 KR DRW

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 3 weeks ago #18

Thanks Andy and Jim. I was thinking of semi permanent mounting inside a cabinet. I'm ok with removing and draining for winterizing, but didn't want to everytime we came home from a trip. Sounds like it may work. The forward flush I would do with a custom hose attachment and just flush to the outside.

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 3 weeks ago #19

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE

atom ant wrote: Thanks Andy and Jim. I was thinking of semi permanent mounting inside a cabinet. I'm ok with removing and draining for winterizing, but didn't want to everytime we came home from a trip. Sounds like it may work. The forward flush I would do with a custom hose attachment and just flush to the outside.

When I regenerate our softener I discharge the fast flow water (30 minutes) into the black tank water flusher to clean the black tank, at least the water is doing some good before it goes down the drain, I make sure that the drain valve is open when I do it.

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 2 weeks ago #20

almcc wrote:

atom ant wrote: Thanks Andy and Jim. I was thinking of semi permanent mounting inside a cabinet. I'm ok with removing and draining for winterizing, but didn't want to everytime we came home from a trip. Sounds like it may work. The forward flush I would do with a custom hose attachment and just flush to the outside.

When I regenerate our softener I discharge the fast flow water (30 minutes) into the black tank water flusher to clean the black tank, at least the water is doing some good before it goes down the drain, I make sure that the drain valve is open when I do it.

I understand what you are thinking, and probably a good way to get rid of it at a site without flooding the site. I would worry if anything went wrong - like a forgotten drain valve or plugged drain with paper, contamination might migrate into my potable system, especially if I'm not paying attention. That flush is equipped with a vacuum break (anti-syphon), but not a backflow preventer assembly or even a check valve. If pressure hits static for any reason, cooties are welcome to migrate back and nothing will stop them.

The other concern I might have is those vacuum breaks fail all the time (no so much Redwoods but the clear plastic ones do) and that would dump brine into your cabinet or wall cavity or where ever that vacuum break is. I'm assuming that is brine, but maybe its just water by the time its flushing for a few minutes.

Last Edit: by atom ant.

Water Softener recommendations 2 months 2 weeks ago #21

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with ensuring that the proper "blocks" are in-place and that you pay attention to make sure that that you don't back feed the water into the fresh water circuit.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.