Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet??

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 4 days ago #1

I've started a new project adding wireless rear surround speakers. I'm planning on mounting them above my home theater recliners either on the wall or under cabinet (in the slide room). The speakers are Sony SA-Z9R and are fairly small measuring 4" x 6-1/8" x 4" and weighing about 2.25 lbs. each.

I've also purchased a swivel mount system that will allow me to point the speakers downward a bit.

My dilemma is whether I should mount to the wall or under cabinet. I'm nervous about mounting to the wall as I'm not sure the wall board is strong enough to support the mount screws/speakers. Regarding mounting to the underside of the upper cabinet I'm a bit nervous as there is wiring in the cabinet (for the LED lights) and I'm not sure how strong the cabinet fascia is as well.

Has anyone had any experience mounting small speakers in their coaches? If so I'd sure appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by PunksRedwood. Reason: revise text

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 1 day ago #2

I guess no one has experience drilling into their exterior walls. :(

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 1 day ago #3

I know the older models had speakers mounted to th dinette walls
I would try a stud finder to locate something substantial to screw into
The following user(s) said Thank You: PunksRedwood

Woody

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 1 day ago #4

Thanks Shane. Since we have aluminum studs in the walls do you know if a typical household stud finder would work or do I need a special one?

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 1 day ago #5

They are cheap at home depot, lowes etc
They work on both as the laser measures density

Woody

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 1 day ago #6

They are cheap at home depot, lowes etc
They work on both as the laser measures density

Woody

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 16 hours ago #7

I still have the option of hanging them from the bottom of the cabinet as well. Does anyone know where the wires for the lights below the cabinets are run?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shane Wood

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 3 weeks 13 hours ago #8

Pull one of the lights down, there's probably only a couple wires about the size of a light gauge extension cord so shouldn't be in your way.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Mounting surround sound speakers - wall or under cabinet?? 2 weeks 19 hours ago #9

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to mount from the bottom of the cabinet and it worked great!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 5.186 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu