Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Towing with Dodge Truck

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #1

I have a 2016 Redwood 38RE. I'm looking to buy a new truck and was looking at a Dodge Ram. My concern is the bed length. It is 4 inches shorted than the 2009 Silverado 2500 diesel that I am pulling it with now. Didn't know if I would need a slider hitch, or if anyone is pulling their Redwood the standard type hitch.
Thanks in advance.

I should add I'm looking at the 6'4" box.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by bgartia@aol.com.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #2

• Piperguy
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 107

• Tilda
  • “Piperguy’s
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
I'll make a quick point - and this is NOT to be the one to start a controversy, but if you're looking at a new truck please, please do the following .
Get your current rig weighed at a truck stop CAT scale. I will bet almost anything that the truck rear axle weight you get will be WAY over what your current truck is rated for both tires and axle capacity. Take that weight with you when truck shopping and if you're going to stick with a SRW truck, make sure the new one will handle the weight you have.

The only one I'm aware of towing a 38RE or RL with a SRW is fordtruckguy and he will be the first to tell you he tows the coach as light as possible and has almost no wiggle room on rear axle weight. The RE and RL are pin heavy. Virtually all of us tow with a Dually for that reason.

As to your other question, I believe most of the people who have a slider hitch have said they've never used it.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #3

If I were to buy another tow vehicle for a RW or equivalent I'd be looking at the Ram 3500 dually mega cab short bed, of course with the Cummins & Aisin tranny. As to the slider I wouldn't think you'd need one unless you are in a very tight spot.

Travelin' Texans
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #4

• Goat
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 10
If I had to use a dually to pull any fiver, it would be an HDT.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #5

I have a 2017 Redwood 3901MB. I pull it with a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 DW with the 6.7 Cummins, Aisin trans, with 373 gears with the MOPAR 5/wheel in a 8 foot bed and have absolutely no problems with pulling it or moving it into a tight spot. I used to have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega cab with the short bed with a BW hitch and did not have any problems with moving it around in tight spaces. No need for a slider hitch.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #6

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 152

• Redwood/2016/38RL

Piperguy wrote: I'll make a quick point - and this is NOT to be the one to start a controversy, but if you're looking at a new truck please, please do the following .
Get your current rig weighed at a truck stop CAT scale. I will bet almost anything that the truck rear axle weight you get will be WAY over what your current truck is rated for both tires and axle capacity. Take that weight with you when truck shopping and if you're going to stick with a SRW truck, make sure the new one will handle the weight you have.

The only one I'm aware of towing a 38RE or RL with a SRW is fordtruckguy and he will be the first to tell you he tows the coach as light as possible and has almost no wiggle room on rear axle weight. The RE and RL are pin heavy. Virtually all of us tow with a Dually for that reason.

As to your other question, I believe most of the people who have a slider hitch have said they've never used it.

YUP......

I tow with my "15" Ford SRW.... My weights are - 12,380# on the trailer axles...#3460 on the pin...
I am over on my trucks GVR, but still under on my axle and tires ( 3750# each )

We are weekend warriors and have more empty cabinets than full.... As soon as we start camping more than now, it will be a DRW for me,,, until then my truck will be just fine...
I have the IS and disc brakes on the RW, the truck tows like a dream, and that is the problem. We go from SE PA to the Florida Keys and up to the Great Smokie Mountains and I can use 1 hand on the wheel as she just glides. When the time comes to convince the DW as to why we are needing the DRW as she HATES the looks of them, it will be a tough sell ... ! ! ! and we all know... what a Happy Wife = Happy life !

Last Edit: by ford truck guy.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #7

Thanks all, for the info. Time to go shopping.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #8

• Piperguy
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 107

• Tilda
  • “Piperguy’s
  • Redwood/2013/36RL
I would second Danny's comment on the Ram Mega Cab Dually. My stepson has a 2015 3500 Ram SRW with the Aisin and 3.73 rear. Really nice truck. Biggest thing when looking at Ram is making sure the trans and rear axle is what you want. There are some out there with 3.42 rears and without the Aisin that are only rated to tow something like 16k or so.

Happy truck shopping and let us know what you wind up with !!

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #9

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 71

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
We have been towing quite a bit with our 2018 RAM 3500 DRW.
It has the Aisin Transmission with a 4.10 Axle Ratio.
I know a little overkill on the Axle Ratio for a 18,000 lb Redwood but it tows great.
Not much help on this thread as we ordered the standard crew cab with a 8 ft bed.
We love the truck, 32,000 problem free miles so far.

Robert, Sheryl & Bale (The Wonder Dog)
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114s, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #10

• Goat
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 10
I have also read 4:10's are the way to go on Rams. A couple of folks who had the higer gears really weren't satisfied with them

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #11

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL

Goat wrote: I have also read 4:10's are the way to go on Rams. A couple of folks who had the higher gears really weren't satisfied with them

With 4.10 Axle Ratio the Transmission stays in 6 gear and does not hunt or downshift on every little hill when using the Cruise Control.
My take is less wear and tear on the Transmission if it is not having to downshift on every little hill.
I typically set my Cruise Control at 68 mph which is approximately 1800 rpm on the Cummins Engine which is right at the peak torque curve for the engine.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #12

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 135
I've found that there is more to think about than just rear axle ratios when selecting truck options. Our 2011 F-450 diesel has a 4.30 rear end ratio but the engine speed at 60 MPH in 6th gear is the same as our old Ford with a 4.10 ratio, the engine speed also depends on tire sizes and the transmission gearing. I'm very happy with how the truck hauls our RW!

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 3 weeks ago #13

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
I agree, transmission gearing, axle ratio and tire diameter all play a part in the drivetrain formula / calculations

For the RAM package the Aisin Transmisson and the standard 68RFE Automatic are geared slightly different, I beleve the Aisin has a much lower 1st gear.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Rob_Fla.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 1 week ago #14

bgartia@aol.com wrote: I have a 2016 Redwood 38RE. I'm looking to buy a new truck and was looking at a Dodge Ram. My concern is the bed length. It is 4 inches shorted than the 2009 Silverado 2500 diesel that I am pulling it with now. Didn't know if I would need a slider hitch, or if anyone is pulling their Redwood the standard type hitch.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT : now that I have morryde IS and disk brakes I am over on the Gross weight combine . with 100 gallons of fresh water ,82 gallons of fuel I was 800lbs over on the rear axel of the truck and 1000lb over on the gross combine (scale at 26600lbs )

I tow a RL38 with a 2016 GMC 3500 SRW short bed crew cab 4x4. with 100 gallons of water onboard and normal travel gear I am 350 - 400 lbs over weight on the rear axel. I have since upgraded the tires to 19.5 wheels and 245/75/19.5 Michelin XRV tires. So blow outs will not be a issue but I am over weight in the rear and under gross combile weight by under 1000lbs. I think without fresh water I am really close to max maybe a touch over still. I will lay off the doughnuts until next fall.....

Last Edit: by xcmark.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 1 week ago #15

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL

xcmark wrote:

bgartia@aol.com wrote: I have a 2016 Redwood 38RE. I'm looking to buy a new truck and was looking at a Dodge Ram. My concern is the bed length. It is 4 inches shorted than the 2009 Silverado 2500 diesel that I am pulling it with now. Didn't know if I would need a slider hitch, or if anyone is pulling their Redwood the standard type hitch.
Thanks in advance.

I tow a RL38 with a 2016 GMC 3500 SRW short bed crew cab 4x4. with 100 gallons of water onboard and normal travel gear I am 350 - 400 lbs over weight on the rear axel. I have since upgraded the tires to 19.5 wheels and 245/75/19.5 Michelin XRV tires. So blow outs will not be a issue but I am over weight in the rear and under gross combile weight by under 1000lbs. I think without fresh water I am really close to max maybe a touch over still. I will lay off the doughnuts until next fall.....

Mark, that 100 gallons of water is just about 834#... AND since the fresh water tank on our RL is all the way up front, almost all that is on the pin...my SRW is under my axle rating which is rated for 7100... and my tires which are rated for 7500# ( 3750 # each ) .. I won't lay off the donuts ! ! !

Last Edit: by ford truck guy.

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 1 week ago #16

We have said truck, minus the dually and LOVE it. Our Redwood is a 2015 31sl. We were previously Ford people but this Ram and the mega cab beat it out. We bought our truck new in 2013.

"Live in the sunshine, Swim in the sea, Smell the wild air"

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 1 week ago #17

ford truck guy wrote:

xcmark wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Joe ,

Do you know how much your truck weighs? My crew cab GM is about 8500 as its shipped from the factory , GVW is 11,500 lb

Mark, that 100 gallons of water is just about 834#... AND since the fresh water tank on our RL is all the way up front, almost all that is on the pin...my SRW is under my axle rating which is rated for 7100... and my tires which are rated for 7500# ( 3750 # each ) .. I won't lay off the donuts ! ! !

Towing with Dodge Truck 3 months 6 days ago #18

• Joe Dombrowski
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/38RL
Mark,,,

My last CAT Scale had my truck at 8240# loaded for trip with 51 gallons of fuel

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates.