Clear all

2020 Virtual Rally is in the books

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)
Topic starter  

The first ever Virtual Rally for Redwood owners is in the books. Thanks to all who played a part, and especially Jeff Robinson for his behind-the-scenes technical work and Lisa Price for her jubilant attitude to welcome us each evening. We had about 50 participants and outstanding workshops and technical sessions. The board will be considering ways to continue this venue - maybe a monthly “Tech Talk” and a quarterly “How-To” session to supplement the FB and ROG forum discussion. We collectively think it was a great success.

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

(@bferris)

Someone mentioned during the virtual rally about a replacement electric reel kit.  Is there any more information available such as where to purchase?

Bryan Ferris

ReplyQuote
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)
Topic starter  

@vferris 

Bryan, I'll get that information for you. I believe it was Jeff Robinson who mentioned the kit.

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

ReplyQuote
(@bferris)

Thanks Paul!

ReplyQuote
(@jarobinson1000)
New Member Admin

@vferris

Bryan:

Jeff Robinson here. I didn’t replace our powered cord reel so much as install a retrofit kit to fix it. Here is the story ....

The powered cord reel that we have on our 2018 3901WB is manufactured by Southwire. It is called a Shoreline Reel. Our model is a RL54.

Our reel would unwind and wind for a few weeks/months then suddenly it would click but not unwind or wind. I removed the chain/gear housing and found that the metal pins had fallen out of the plastic clutch plate. I called Southwire Tech Service and he suggested that I use threadlocker when I reinstalled the pins. I did that 3 times and it worked for about 6 weeks (about 20 unwinds/winds) then the pins fell out again. On the 4thtime I used CA (Krazy) glue and it lasted for maybe 40 unwinds/winds.

I called Southwire Tech Service again and asked “now what?” I knew that a new reel would cost about $600 plus installation. He suggested I buy a retrofit kit to repair the reel rather than replace it. It is called a Reel Retrofit Kit (Southwire CRRK-01) from rvpartssource.com. It cost $70 plus shipping.

It took my wife and I about 4 hours to remove the reel, replace the parts and reinstall the reel. It sure looks like it will work much better but we have been sheltering in place so have not been taking the rig out. We tested it 2 or 3 times and it works right now.

Let me know if I can help any further. Jeff

This post was modified 4 years ago by Jeff & Catherine Robinson

ReplyQuote
(@bferris)

Thanks Jeff!  This is valuable information.

Bryan

ReplyQuote
Share: