Removing NeverCold and installing Residential Refig, have questions

20 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I just ordered a Residential Refrigerator to replace our NeverCold in our 38FL and have some questions.
I ordered the same Residential Unit that KenA installed in his 38FL Redwood recently, looks like a nice unit, good fit, has good reviews plus it was on sale so I took the leap.
I need to install an inverter for the refrigerator, recommendations on an inverter.
We do not boondock so not looking for whole coach power.
We only have 2 batteries currently installed, are just 2 batteries ok?
Looking for help with wiring diagrams / directions for installing the inverter.

Posted : August 31, 2018 6:12 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I used a Magnum CSW1012 1000 watt inverter and installed their transfer switch. I only had 1 12 volt deep cycle battery so I switched to 2 6 volts wired in series. My 36RE had the generator prep that I know I would never use so I picked up my 110 volt power there. I ran a separate line through the LP compartment and Zip tied it to the LP line running along the frame. So far i am very pleased with how it is working and really love not having to hold my breath worrying about the Never Cold working when we needed it.

Posted : August 31, 2018 2:01 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I just ordered a Residential Refrigerator to replace our NeverCold in our 38FL and have some questions.
I ordered the same Residential Unit that KenA installed in his 38FL Redwood recently, looks like a nice unit, good fit, has good reviews plus it was on sale so I took the leap.
I need to install an inverter for the refrigerator, recommendations on an inverter.

Here's how we installed our inverter:
http://www.redwoodrvowners-dev.com/images/TechnicalCommittee/PDF%20files/Inverter%20install.pdf

Posted : August 31, 2018 10:05 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Here's how we installed our inverter:
http://www.redwoodrvowners-dev.com/images/TechnicalCommittee/PDF%20files/Inverter%20install.pdf

Thanks for the installation link.
Love the battery box idea.
Mounting the monitor panel in our 38FL is going to be a little bit of a challenge and since our Refrigerator is in the kitchen slide, I am sure running the power will be fun also.

Posted : September 2, 2018 6:20 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Rob
When I installed my inverter and fridge, I intercepted the 120 VAC line that feeds the fridge, the receptacle by the stove, the one in the pantry, and the recepts in and around the entertainment center. The inverter I purchased has a self contained 120 V pass through, so whenever we're connected to shore power, it bypasses the inverter and uses shore power. If you want more details, shoot me a pm.

Posted : September 3, 2018 12:11 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks for the info.
I have been looking at inverters, I like the one that SandK used, looks like a good unit, has a built in transfer switch and is reasonable price.
My Refig, stove, sink and microwave are in my kitchen slide. I looked under the slide and there are three power cords going from the slide to the coach.
One cord is for the Microwave, one cord is for the receptacle under the kitchen cabinet and the third cord is for the refrigerator.
All three cords enter the coach just behind the front storage compartment so access to them should be fairly easy.
I will just cut the cord going to the Refig and reroute through the inverter for battery power when needed.
I received a shipping notice for the new refrigerator today, should have it in a week or so.
Just need to get the inverter ordered and I will be set !!

Posted : September 3, 2018 12:27 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

With the comments and input from Redwood owners, we are making progress on our NorCold Refrigerator removal and replacement.
Have NorCold removed, working on preping area for new install. Have to move wires, disconnect gas line and line walls with insulation.
Inverter for Refigerator should arrive today, will be a busy weekend.

NorCold Removed

Sold our NorCold fairly quickly

New Refrigerator waiting to be installed

Posted : September 14, 2018 6:44 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Looks great Robert. I predict you will love your residential fridge. So nice to have the room and reliability of home. And I’m not sure what the battery life is running off the inverter but we have gone 14 hours with zero issue.

Posted : September 14, 2018 10:56 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

When ours was new, I did a test and ran the Fridge for 36 hours on the OEM two batteries and voltage was still at 12.6. This was just parked next to the House and not in use, but wanted an approx run time without Shore or Generator power.

Posted : September 14, 2018 3:20 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Install completed

Posted : September 16, 2018 9:40 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

That looks GREAT Rob!!!!!! This is on my list that has not been completed yet. How do you plan on holding the doors closed over the road and did you have to cut any trim around the hole?

Steve

Posted : September 18, 2018 7:36 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Steve,
I did have to do some plaining on the opening since it was not square, wide enough a the bottom but about 3/16" tighter at the top, the refrigerator would fit but it would have to be forced in and I was concerned that I could not get it out.
After the plaining it fit snug but went in easily.
Ken A sent me his approach for keeping the doors closed during travel, looks like a great idea so that is what I am doing.
Ken installed some heavy duty 3M Dual Lock reclosable fastener material on the top edge of each of the doors and uses a strip to fasten the two doors together for travel. Out of sight and looks like it will work great.
I am going to install the 3M Dual Lock material this weekend as it just arrived from Amazon today.

Posted : September 18, 2018 7:49 PM
KenA
 KenA
(@kena)
Honorable Member

Great job Rob!

Ok so here's how I've got here:

- Upgrade oven to stainless GE, two shelves, broiler+++ - CHECK
- Upgrade dishwasher facade to stainless to match - CHECK
- Replace Nevercold to Residential with inverter and solar to back it up - CHECK
- Remove dinette and add island with butcher block top and bar table seating - CHECK
- Add Ice maker appliance - CHECK

Next and I hope final would be how to make the new Furrion Stove Top work? This could perhaps need to be it's own thread, but I introduce the concept now as it seems relevant.

I've done the math it seems so close dimension wise, surely we have the talent here to make it happen, but I'm just not there yet? IMO It would complete the state of the art 38FL Chef's Kitchen, NO?

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--
"My Redwood; Go anywhere and always be at home."
"The trouble with trouble is it starts as fun"

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - Wayne Gretzky

Posted : September 18, 2018 11:32 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

That's great Ken, wow you are motivated !!!

I changed our standard Microwave to a GE Profile Convection Microwave, and now have removed the NorCold and installed the Residential Refrigerator.

That is probally all I am going to do in the kitchen, have the standard Atwood Stove / Oven Combp, rarely use the oven now that we have the GE Profile Convection unit, (keep bread stored in the oven), not planning on taking on the challenge of changing the stove out and ok with our Dinette table.

A/C mods are still working great in the summer heat, cut down our bed to a Queen Size and install a standard size innerspring Serta Mattress, replaced our toilet with a Dometic 320 and insulated the front cap area. Have no other mod plans on the books, just enjoy life 🙂

Posted : September 19, 2018 2:20 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Looks great Rob !!!

Posted : September 19, 2018 7:53 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: