32 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
10.7 K Views
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Here is a picture I took during the Redwood plant tour at this years Rally. Can partially read the 'Westlake' name on one of the tires. Looks like the same suspension from Trail Air but in the newer color scheme.

Chris

Posted : September 28, 2016 4:46 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

That suspension has air bags just behind the equalizer, should be head & shoulders better than the standard equa flex

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : September 28, 2016 6:43 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hopefully those Air Bags hold air better than the bag on the Tri-Glides

Posted : September 28, 2016 7:51 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Michelle you just need to have them hooked up to an on board compressor and you can keep filling them as the air leaks out

Posted : September 28, 2016 7:54 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

More parts and plumbing, think I'll stick with my IS and it's four, that's four (4) grease zerks.

Posted : September 28, 2016 9:12 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The CentrePoint system is a huge improvement over the original Equaflex. It isn't installed with an onboard compressor, but they do supply 2 air gauges and fittings to top up the bags. Our gauges are just aft of the front stairs. Both sides are independent so you can set the pressure based on the weight of each side of the coach.

I add a little air about every week or 2 weeks, but that is mostly due to changing temperatures. At the factory they inflated them to 40 and 60 psi (light side/heavy side). By the time I got back to Shipshewana the cold air expanded and pressures increased to 60/80.

It is simply another routine item for when I drag out the compressor, checking the tires, pin bag and now the suspension bags.

The ride improvement is substantial. Before, we dumped the remnants of the dog's water bowl, now we just place the bowl in the sink. Probably could leave it on the floor, just not that brave. Looking behind, the coach just seems to float.

Is it as good a system as the IS, probably not, but at about 25 to 30% of the cost, we are very happy with the improved ride and value.

Posted : September 29, 2016 10:06 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

That suspension has air bags just behind the equalizer, should be head & shoulders better than the standard equa flex

Danny - yes the ride is vastly improved and each side is independent so you can set the pressure based on the weight of each side.

With the 36FL I found 45-50 and 60-65 is the sweet spot.

Posted : September 29, 2016 10:12 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The CentrePoint system is a huge improvement over the original Equaflex. It isn't installed with an onboard compressor, but they do supply 2 air gauges and fittings to top up the bags. Our gauges are just aft of the front stairs. Both sides are independent so you can set the pressure based on the weight of each side of the coach.

I add a little air about every week or 2 weeks, but that is mostly due to changing temperatures. At the factory they inflated them to 40 and 60 psi (light side/heavy side). By the time I got back to Shipshewana the cold air expanded and pressures increased to 60/80.

It is simply another routine item for when I drag out the compressor, checking the tires, pin bag and now the suspension bags.

The ride improvement is substantial. Before, we dumped the remnants of the dog's water bowl, now we just place the bowl in the sink. Probably could leave it on the floor, just not that brave. Looking behind, the coach just seems to float.

Is it as good a system as the IS, probably not, but at about 25 to 30% of the cost, we are very happy with the improved ride and value.

All,

I'm preparing for a major overhaul to the Tires, Wheels, Axles, Brakes and existing springs. What is the main difference between the Centerpoint and IS system? What are the estimated costs for each? Are there any other systems I should consider? I currently have the standard Equiflex suspension.

Posted : November 19, 2016 1:49 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

All,

I'm preparing for a major overhaul to the Tires, Wheels, Axles, Brakes and existing springs. What is the main difference between the Centerpoint and IS system? What are the estimated costs for each? Are there any other systems I should consider? I currently have the standard Equiflex suspension.

With Centrepoint, they removed the existing Equaflex and replaced it with the Cetrepoint air bag. The existing axles and springs are retained. They did provide new brass bushings, but only at the new Centrepoint. The existing bushings at the other end of the springs did not change.

Individual air lines and gauges are installed on the door side for each bag.

Cost at the Rally was about $1300 to $1400 installed.

Posted : November 19, 2016 2:27 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Gipc
I installed the centerpointat myself and it cost 900.00 2 years ago. If you go the full blown IS they scrap your axles and install their system somewhere around 4500.00. There is also an IS similar to the equiflex but have no knowledge of it. I like the ride I get out of the Centerpoint. I aired up the bags when we left the rally and checked them yesterday and still have 30lbs in each. Normally run at 55 and 65psi I also installed joy rider shocks to help control rebound for another 429.00

Posted : November 19, 2016 2:36 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

So for now, it sounds like I can proceed with the new 8000# axles, Disc Brakes, Wheels and Tires from Titan Guy without impacting a decision about the Centerpoint and/or shocks for now. Right? I could put on Centerpoint afterward If I decide to?

If I proceed with any kind of new IS system, then I need to halt moving forward until the IS system is installed.

Titan Guy, If you are following, is the Centerpoint something you can do while the rest of the work is being done? I've got to do some internet searching to look for specifications on the Centerpoint first. I need to make sure this is something worth doing. From Shane and Oriana, it sounds like it may be...

Posted : November 19, 2016 3:39 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Affirmative, if your preference is Centrepoint you can change the axles and brakes now. I had Ron switch to disks at the rally and then drove to Lippert to get Centrepoint installed.

Posted : November 19, 2016 6:11 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Gipc
I am pretty sure Ron's guys could install the center point when they change the axles brakes etc

Posted : November 19, 2016 6:58 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Brakes, Axles and Centerpoint... How does one decide??? Seems like they would all be great improvements. I'm assuming all of those void the warranty. Do you know?

Posted : November 19, 2016 10:09 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Our warranty is not in affect... We own a 2014 model that we purchased from another individual who only had it 3 months before he traded it back in for a Class A motorhome (each to his own). Therefore, our warranty is null and void. Besides, had Redwood calculated the weights and braking distance correctly in the first place, I would not have to be doing this. There is NO regulation in the RV industry. To their credit, the current Redwood management "seems" to be taking an interest in quality, but that does not good to those who have purchased in the past or those who are second hand owners.

7000# axles are too light. Do the math on this...In our case, we have very little margin left. It's borderline. By moving up to the 8000# axles, this provides a safety margin. Not a catastrophe about to happen.

"G" rated tires are good, but if you want to avoid $8000 in repair bills from a blown tire, "H" tires will provide that extra layer of protection. If you unfortunate enough to have "E" tires, it's definitely just a matter of times.

Brakes...2.5" electric brakes are not sufficient for this heavy of a load. Have you had anyone pull out in front of you yet? That happened on our maiden voyage. Some will say they work for them but do your research and you'll see what a difference Discs will make.

Maybe it's just this particular rig. I don't know. But what I do know is that the problem will be fixed for good once completed. A small investment in safety to ensure the rig lasts for any length of time.

Next, it's on to putting a permanent roof on...

Once that is done, I'll figure out how to get the slide seals replaced. I think that this will have to be "after-market" as there is absolutely no way to replace the seals yourself without pulling out the entire slide. The current seals are "H" seals and stapled/screwed in a place where you can't get to them.

Posted : November 20, 2016 9:32 AM
Page 1 / 3
Share: