Tires, Wheels and Wet Bolts

11 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I know many have upgraded to 17.5 wheels and tires, and for me I had no reason to justify the upgrade until we had two leaking aluminum 16" rims on the way to the rally. Bottom line - check your rims for small spider-web type etchings. They may be the start of stress fractures.

I also broke the two rear spring hanger wet bolts.

Don't know exactly what the sequence was, but here is my guess:
Broken wet bolt on RR, creating more stress on the LR hanger and both wheels
Stress fracture in RR wheel. Reluctantly replaced with spare steel wheel/Westlake original spare.
New wet bolt in RR causing stress on weakened LR bolt and LR aluminum wheel.
Broken wet bolt on LR.
Stress crack on LR aluminum wheel. Replaced with new steel wheel and Sailun that was on the ground.

I upgraded to 4,000 lb springs, Dexter equalizers and Dexter wet bolts/bronze bushings two years ago.

Lippert has examined my suspension and says hangers are good, axles and springs are good; they are replacing the equalizers and bronze bushings in the spring eyes. And solid bolts on the spring ends.

And, simply for informational purposes, here is the Sailun 637 on the 16" rim with 50,000 miles on it. Continue to be very impressed with the Sailun tire.

Posted : July 16, 2019 1:27 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

My 2015 wheels look the same as your , I didn't have any leaks. I would say if they tires got broken down you would find a white caulk on the bead seal area. 95% of the time 5 year old aluminum wheels need to have bead sealer put on the wheels after they are lightly sanded then sealed at the bead. Its like a black rubber paint they brush on to stop the bead from slow leaks. very common problem. as for your wet bolts my RL-38 broke the driver side rear out of the hanger some place between PA and Elkhart( Morryde) so I maybe traveled 450 miles tops like that. The bolt was completely gone when I backed into the service bay at Morryde. Both of my drivr side 3500lb springs where flat and the curb side still had a fair amount of arch so I think your idea of 4000 lbs spring is good idea.

Posted : July 16, 2019 6:31 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Mark, thanks for your additional information about the aluminum rim bead seal. I was not aware of that.

In my case, both aluminum rims developed a leaking crack in one of those spider web etchings near the seam where the outer rim meets the spoke, not at the bead. One wheel the leak was near the valve stem and the other wheel was about 5 o’clock to the valve stem. First time I’ve ever had a cracked rim on any vehicle.

Posted : July 16, 2019 9:13 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

that's a little worrisome , I have heard of more then a few cracked 8 lug 110 psi wheels . Low bid China crap! that was the single biggest reason I put Alcoa wheels on my trailer with a 17.5" tire upgrade , American made! rated at 6000lbs a wheel. You would think the NTSB would have tire and wheels on there watch list . Makes me question if mine are good to sell , I have the same spider web look on the finish?

Posted : July 17, 2019 3:00 PM
(@eckertm)

Need to replace the original tires on my 38GK...which are Goodyear G614...16 Inch.  A fellow RVer recommended Hercules 901...?  Wondering if anyone has experience with those tires?

Posted : October 11, 2020 2:15 PM
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

Go with the tried and true Saluns like many of us have.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Posted : October 11, 2020 3:57 PM
(@eckertm)

Makes sense.  I may do the 17.5 upgrade while I am at it.  Can you point me to who I should do business with?  Thank you.

Posted : October 11, 2020 5:01 PM
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

Well, got our Sailuns and new rims at the 2019 Rally from Trailers.Set.Go ( https://trailersetgo.com/), they're in Elkhart, Indiana.  A new 17.5 Sailun on a new rim was less than a bear GY G114.

The reason we went with new rims was because we had two of the OEM rims develop pin hole leaks in the rim itself, one of which took three years to show up.

Update:  Just checked their site $380 tire and rim, with free shipping.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Posted : October 11, 2020 5:24 PM
(@eckertm)

Is this the configuration you went with?: 

Sailun 215/75R17.5 LRH Radial Tire on 17.5” 8-Lug Aluminum Mod Assembly

SKU: SAAM215175H8SM

Posted : October 27, 2020 5:45 AM
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)

Yes, that’s the combination we got. I got mine from TrailerSetGo in Elkhart. 

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

Posted : October 27, 2020 11:17 AM
Mark Eckert reacted
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

The wheels we got are spoke type wheels, but I wouldn't have a problem with the wheel you found.  I actually put those type of rims on our previous RW with I upgraded it to 17.5".

Michelle & Ann

Posted : October 27, 2020 1:00 PM
Mark Eckert reacted
Share: