Bike Racks

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We’ve just purchased two bikes and are looking at bike racks. There’s lots available but not all are designed for use behind a towable RV. We are looking at the Swagman Escapee as our best choice based on design, RV rating, and price point but not absolutely positive it will clear everything on the back of our 17 39MB. Does anyone have any experience with this rack behind a redwood or have any suggestions for other models we should be looking at?

Posted : May 29, 2019 4:57 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We have a Swagman XTC4 Two Bike Rack that we use, but did require an extension in the receiver to allow clearance for the handle bar of the first bike. I also use the "Quiet Hitch Clamp" to take out that last little bit of wiggle. Ours has been back and forth from Western New York to Central Florida a few times without any issue.

Posted : May 29, 2019 6:01 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I bought the Swagman and wasn't happy with how it held two bikes. Also, it holds them by the bar between seat and handlebars, and on a ladies' bike, that doesn't work. Tried the clamp on bar to act like a men's bike, and it was awkward. I followed Atom Ant's lead and bought the Yakima Hold-up for two bikes and am very pleased. We even purchased a wraparound cover that protects both bikes going to and from AZ in the winter and spring.

Posted : May 29, 2019 6:15 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

we use an older Swagman 4 bike rack.. It does the job, I will like it even better when I start using the Quiet Hitch Clamp that Michelle just posted !! I to use an extension to clear the rear cap....

Posted : May 29, 2019 8:17 PM
(@Anonymous)

Like Jim and Mary, we got the Yakima Holdup for the Redwood, even though it says not for RVs. It has served us well! We used it for several years behind the Redwood, and I still use it today on the MH, or behind the Jeep-behind the MH. It holds the bikes well and easy to load and even store the bikes while at camp. The Jeep requires an extension because of the large tires and it is still solid. I have a camera on the MH, and I had one on the Redwood, so I could tell there was no jumping around back there with the bikes.

Posted : May 30, 2019 12:44 PM
(@Anonymous)

I wasn't aware of the Hitch Clamp that holds the carrier tight, I just got some peel and stick shims and stuck them between the hitch and the carrier tube to reduce the clearance to almost zero, it worked well.

Posted : May 30, 2019 1:48 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Were you able to use the Yakima Hold-up on the Redwood without a hitch extension. I’d like to avoid the extension if possible. Thanks for all the inputs.

Posted : May 30, 2019 2:54 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I use the Swagman Semi 2.0. It is a no touch mount that grabs the tires like a Thule or Yakima. I carry two Bike Mountain bikes and it doesn't require a hitch extension. It does have a set screw (bolt) that you use as the pin in the receiver that tightens it. I get no slop or movement at all. It also has a cable lock system making it difficult to remove either the rack of the bikes without a key. I use the Swagman cover to keep the bikes covered when traveling. So far, 10,000 miles with out a problem.

Posted : May 30, 2019 3:43 PM
(@Anonymous)

Were you able to use the Yakima Hold-up on the Redwood without a hitch extension. I’d like to avoid the extension if possible. Thanks for all the inputs.

Our 2014 Redwood had a 2" receiver and no extension was required. I know it is hard to tell in the pictures, but even without an extension, we cleared the ladder and I could fold up the Yakima Holdup when not in use. The Yakima tightens with a large wrench to one side of the receiver and then locks with the same key as the cable locks on the rack.

Also in 2014 Redwood used a 2" receiver and Yakima Holdup comes in both the 2" and 1-1/4" type, just like many racks. If Redwood still uses the 2" receiver, try to go with the 2" rack as it eliminates the adapter and a lot of potential wiggle. If you have other cars with 1-1/4" receivers, then you may not have that option if you plan to use the rack on other cars.

Posted : May 30, 2019 4:04 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We have a 2” receiver on the Redwood and the tow vehicle has the 2 1/2” so no matter what we’ll have to use an adapter if we want to use it for local trips. We’re looking at the Hold-up tomorrow at a local sports store who carries them.

Posted : May 30, 2019 9:32 PM
Share: