Impending roof failure?

27 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

New to this forum, we have a 2016 Redwood 38RL. I was on the roof yesterday and discovered what I believe is a possible major roof failure. There appears to be a flap under the edge of the roof on both sides of the trailer, under the rubber. The staples that hold this strip down have apparently come loose. allowing the flap to raise and create a void under the rubber, running the full length of the trailer on both sides. I can feel the loose staples under the rubber. Anyone else experience this issue and what did you do about it? Is there a representative at Redwood who might help?

Posted : January 9, 2019 10:03 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

This is the customer service number (866) 425-4369

Are you still under warranty?

Posted : January 9, 2019 1:27 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

No, Warranty was up in April 2018, I am hoping this is enough of a material failure that it might be covered. Not to optimistic. I called customer service, they told me to take it to a dealer for evaluation, hoping to find one in the Tucson/ Phoenix area.

Posted : January 9, 2019 1:42 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I had that happen to my "16" 38RL under warranty. It is not a major repair, they loosen the side edge molding, fold up the roof membrane, remove and reinstall NEW fasteners, re glue the roof membrane and reinstall the side molding, re caulk..

There is a thin piece or corner molding that is under the membrane, that is what the staples are holding down.

The dealer told me that when walking on the roof, you should NOT stand, or walk too close to the edge, that could cause the loosing of some staples..

Good Luck with the repair

Posted : January 9, 2019 2:38 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I think the closest real dealer to Phoenix is Lazy Days in Tucson, about 120 miles south. Redwood claims Camping world is a dealer, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions. There are at least two Camping Worlds in the Phoenix metro area, one close to us in Mesa.

Posted : January 9, 2019 3:04 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

I think the closest real dealer to Phoenix is Lazy Days in Tucson, about 120 miles south. Redwood claims Camping world is a dealer, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions. There are at least two Camping Worlds in the Phoenix metro area, one close to us in Mesa.

I've not heard any better reviews about Lazy Days than CW.
The Alpha membrane is warranted for 12 years against material failure/defects, but poor installation of the material is not & that accounts for 99.9% of the roof problems.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : January 9, 2019 7:03 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I'm not too impressed with the service reviews I'm seeing on any of the dealers in this area. If somebody knows of a Redwood dealer that gives good service, I'm willing to travel. We are full time, so that has to be a consideration.

Posted : January 9, 2019 7:44 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks Joe, that's the best news I've heard today, thanks for the reply. I was not sure how much of a repair I was looking at, but you make perfect sense. I am always careful not to walk near the edges or any openings, so I'm not sure what caused this. It looks to run the entire length of the roof on both sides. If I find a dealer with decent reviews, I'll travel if necessary.

Posted : January 9, 2019 7:48 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Considering you're willing to travel, how about the factory?

Posted : January 9, 2019 8:32 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I would not rule out a trip to the factory if I can get in touch with someone that can schedule us in. I had planned on a trip to morryde for is and discs this summer anyway.

Posted : January 9, 2019 10:21 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Unless you are attending the rally, the days of getting appointments at the factory are long gone. Everything has to go through dealers and if the dealer can't handle it, then the factory service centre will look at it.

If you will consider Indiana, I suggest going another couple hundred miles into Ontario. They have an excellent dealer in Delhi, ONT - Hitch N'Go. They provide a discount for paid ROG members, plus the exchange rate is favourable.

They have a spot outside the shop with water & power.

Posted : January 10, 2019 11:42 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hitch N’ Go definitely gets my vote!

Posted : January 13, 2019 9:44 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Update; I am working with Luxury RV in Mesa, and they seem to be advocating for me. Keystone (Redwood) is offering a what I consider to be a band aid by having a company drive the staples back in and repairing any rubber membrane damage with vinyl of some sort. I will be contacting customer support on Monday 1/28 to express my concerns regarding roof warranty and future problems with loose staples (if it happened once, will it happen again?) I will update again when I know more. Cautiously optomistic, at least they have acknowledged the issue.

Posted : January 26, 2019 2:25 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Their is a Redwood dealer in Mesa on Main Street. The dealer is Luxury Rvs.

Posted : January 26, 2019 3:04 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks Dennis, that's who I am dealing with. So far so good. They seem to be good people.

Posted : January 26, 2019 10:03 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: