Clear all

Redwood Coach observations

12 Posts
7 Users
3 Reactions
(@rob_fla)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

We are setup in Milton Florida this weekend, I went with my brother to pickup his new 5th Wheel in Mobile AL. that he is going to fulltime in. He purchased a very nice Heartland Bighorn. Do not get me wrong, it is a nice coach and will work well for him and his puppy dog (his wife passed away a number of years ago) 

This is his first RV he has ever owned and he is very excited with his new coach. I have been showing him a lot of do's and dont's that I have learned in my almost 10 years of fulltiming initially in a SOB 5th Wheel and the last 6 years in our Redwood. I spent a lot of time with him yesterday inside and outside of his coach setting up things, showing him things I have learned and loading his stuff in it and such.

Last night after we were done, I walked back to our Redwood and sat down for a few minutes before heading to bed. Our Redwood is now 6 years old, what a difference our Redwood is compared to my brothers Heartland Bighorn, our Redwood is much quieter, more solid feeling walking around, opening and closing doors and stuff, until you spend a fair amount of time in a SOB coach you forget how nice your Redwood coach really is.

dave and ROG - Paul reacted
ROG - Paul
(@rog-paul)
Estimable Member Admin

Thanks for this post Rob. My heart really does hurt for people who end up having difficult issues, but we absolutely love our Redwood and are so thankful it is our home.  We could "make do" in another brand, but our Redwood is a beautiful, solid rig that has more than served us faithfully and reliably - and by all appearances, will continue to do so.

We are parked next to a 2019 DRV - three axle, so it's a big boy - and they are envious of our Redwood. They think it is better designed in the structure and slides, and he has continued to battle a water leak at the street side front corner.

So, thankful for our Redwood.

Paul

dave reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ford-truck-guy)

I WAS in that category as well, but now not so much.. Since I started using the Redwood this spring as a quarantine place to work through COVID, and the 2 trips we have had this year things went down hill FAST... Pretty Frustrated with things right now.

ReplyQuote
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)

Sorry to hear that Joe. Anything we can help with?

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

ReplyQuote
(@ford-truck-guy)

Thanks Paul, Im ok... just frustrated.... Ill email you

I guess I was just venting during a cluster F*^k with the front closet

ReplyQuote
(@buan-lester)

Take a break and relaxxx. Could be worse, or better. We came to the Philippines after selling the S&B, put up a steel building 32x60, with full utilities and FHU for the RW inside and outside. That was 12 months ago and here we still are in some type of QUARENTEEN {?} for 6 months and will be for the foreseeable future.  Yes we bought a home here but should have been back there 2 months ago for the summer. CV-19 has shut down travel here, under 21, over 60 not allowed outside of resident, mask when out door, social distance, lots of places closed, pass needed for 1 person to go shopping, and the rules are even more strict in Manila area where travel is restricted, and Manila area has no public transportation. 

Are we suffering NOPE just going with the military flow, with being on Coast Guard ships and boats for 11 years easy to transform. Miss the camping and travel but better to stay here and be safe than to travel , get CV-19, and suffer.

When we were under lockdown just think of MARTIAL LAW, we had nothing but grocery, drug, convience stores with gas allowed to be open.  There you did not need to call the mayor office and explain why you needed repair to your roof, plumbing, electrical, A/C unit and ask for emergency repairs HELL we could not even go get lumber, nails, screws of travel unless  it was for the above or to hospital for emergency.

To our RedWood family: GOD bless, stay healthy, stay safe and love the ones you have. Enjoy what you have and freedom is not free especially with CV-19 in control. 

Thanks all Bobby and Victoria with Abbie our fur baby. 

ReplyQuote
(@ford-truck-guy)

Thanks  for that note Bobby,,

With ALL that is going on in the world, and everyone that is suffering personal tragedies, I should not complain.. I feel selfish doing so....  I was caught at a bad time, I usually take the 15 minute rule when frustrated... (that is where I wait 15 minutes before sending)... The words are usually changed for the better by that time.. 

ReplyQuote
(@mmpacker)

Has any experienced excessive bounce and sway with their redwood. Our 2019 3901mb on our second trip now and nothing stays in place. I have never experienced this before in any of my 5ers.

Literally everything moved. My bride of soon coming 19 years followed me out of Utah today and said she was shocked by the amount of boy cing around the trailer was doing.

Any thoughts or advice would be apreciated

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)

@mmpacker There are a few things you could check, but some data could be helpful.

Have you weighed your truck, trailer and combined? If not, I would suggest a stop at a CAT scale. The most helpful information would be truck alone (full of fuel and people), then combined weigh and subtract the weight of your truck.

If you're running light on your trailer, tire pressure can be adjusted. If you're running heavy or overloaded, could be spring issues.  Just helps to troubleshoot if you know what you're dealing with weight wise.

2015 Redwood 38RL

ReplyQuote
(@mmpacker)

Good morning Paul , thanks for the reply , I'm looking at the hitch height and trailers tires. I'm running an f350 with air bags , I carry an addition 50 gal fuel tank just two passengers. I'm already working on a warranty issue with the trailer tires they are hard as a rock and nitigen filled but the sidewalls are cracking on all of them. With the MB the majority of weight is on the truck so I've been keeping the water tank full which sets to the rear of the coach. 

Btw. Keystone won't warranty the tires and the tire manufacturer will give a hundred dollars apiece or send a new set of junk. I took the hundred apiece.

ReplyQuote
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

Did you buy it new or pick it up used??  If used is it possible the original owner pulled the good tires off and put junk on?  On '19 shoulded be showing cracking sidewalls if they were good tires. 

Is your F350 a SRW or Dually, I ask because MB generally are much heavier than their advertised weight.  Our brochure weight was listed at just under 15K, but left the Factory at just under 16K totally empty.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

ReplyQuote
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)

Your 2019 should have come with either Westlakes or Goodrides, both of which are terrible tires. They are both proving themselves to last between 2 and 3 years max, and cracking sidewall is a typical precursor to throwing tread unexpectedly. 

I suggest taking that $400 credit and applying it to a set of Sailun S637 for only about $200 more. They Sailun is a proven tire with millions of miles and no known tire failure. 

With new tires, depending on weight, you can adjust tire pressure to help with ride, and make sure your truck/trailer is level for even load on the tires. 

But learn from other’s experience on the tires rather than your own. You’ll save a lot of heartache in damage to your Redwood. 

2015 Redwood 38RL

ReplyQuote
Share: