Clear all

Redwood/Sailun Tires

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Reactions
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)
Topic starter  
As announced in the Redwood Roundtable last night, Redwood is now installing Sailun S637 tires as original equipment on new Redwoods. The Redwood Owners Group has been working for a few years with Redwood to make this change, and hopefully our owner nightmares of tire failures will be behind us.
Again, as summer approaches and travel restrictions loosen, please don't be a victim of a tire failure. It CAN be prevented.

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

(@oriana)

Hi Paul - so Redwood have finally dumped the Westlake tyres, in favour of Sailuns - good news.

Just checked out the model and it appears they have reverted to 16" G-rated. Still better than the Marathons initially used, but the G's are still almost loaded to max SWL.

Are they at least offering a 17.5" H-rated, with a speed rating of at least 75 mph, as an option.

ReplyQuote
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)
Topic starter  

Hi Andy, good to hear from you! They had an interim step going with Goodride H, which are also proving to be junk after just two years on the road. But yes, I believe that most of the new Redwoods are coming with 17.5 H tires. Most of the new models warrant the heavier tire. Both the 16” and 17.5” Sailun have stellar reputations with millions of miles in use. 

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

Rob_Fla reacted
ReplyQuote
(@nedshred)

Paul Bridges - are you able to share specific Goodride problems?

Last I saw you had mentioned the jury was out on Goodride because they were so new and recent purchasers such as myself were the guinea pigs.

ReplyQuote
ROG - Paul
(@rog-paul)
Estimable Member Admin

@nedshred Yes,

This is a 2021 Redwood 4001LK with Goodrides. It happened the second time out on the road.

While preparing for the Redwood Roundtable on March 11, I discovered that the Sailun S637 "H" weighs 62 lbs, the Goodyear G114 "H" weighs 60 lbs, and the Goodride CR960A weighs 46 lbs. That in itself was alarming, plus the Goodride has a "J" speed rating, 62 mph. Sailun and Goodyear are "L" (75 mph). I am thinking that the speed rating could end up playing a significant role in the failures.

ReplyQuote
ROG - Paul
(@rog-paul)
Estimable Member Admin

For more clarification - two things:

1) 2020 was a loss for any experience with tires due to mostly non-travel. I am not a prophet but I predict the summer of 2021 will be full of tire failures.

2) I am thinking that for Westlake and Goodride tires at the mid- to upper end of load limits and traveling mostly at the upper end of its speed rating could be the recipe for disaster. That is my unscientific opinion.  I'm also suspecting that owners will begin to see sidewall cracking in the 2 to 3 year timeframe, just like happened with the Westlakes.

I discussed this pretty thoroughly on the March Roundtable, found here:

https://redwoodrvowners.com/redwood-roundtables/

ReplyQuote
Share: