(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Driver License requirements for RV's - Check before you buy:

https://rvtravel.com/do-you-need-a-special-rv-drivers-license-you-might/

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Special%20Drivers%20License.pdf

Check your Domicile State...

Posted : July 21, 2018 11:31 AM
(@Anonymous)

GipC, the rules for RV's also vary in Canada's provinces. My understanding is that in British Columbia you need an RV endorsement and a road test. Here in Ontario if the GCWR of the 5er and the truck is over about 22,500 lb. you need a restricted "A" license with a road test and physicals just like the truckers have (that means most of the toy haulers are over this weight restriction). It's frustrating that the largest class "A" RV's here are plated just like cars (at a low cost compared to our pick up trucks that are rated commercial) and their drivers are also considered as car drivers!
I assume that reciprocity applies, if you are legal in your home state/province you are legal when you are driving elsewhere.

Posted : July 21, 2018 11:52 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Here are the Rules for a Class "G" license for the province of Ontario. These rules changed in 2011.
Any motorhome if the weight is 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less.
Any motorhome, truck, car or suv towing a trailer if the combination weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less.
Any motor vehicle towing an RV greater then 4,600 kgs (10,141 lbs) if the combination weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less if: The RV is attached to the motor vehicle by a fifth wheel hook-up.
Only one vehicle can be towed.
RV must meet Transport Canada manufacturing standards.
Is for personal use only.

Any truck camper if the truck is registered for and the truck, with camper weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less.

Any truck camper towing a trailer if the truck is registered for and the combination weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less.

You can find the original press release here.
https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2011/06/making-it-easier-for-rv-operators-to-enjoy-summer.html

Posted : July 22, 2018 9:39 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

And it gets even stickier and more confusing ...... I used to have a class A CDL. Let the CDL lapse and covered it to a non commercial Class A in Maryland. When we switched to South Dakota for residency, SD does not use a letter code system and in fact according to the MVA and two troopers that I talked to while there does not require anything other than a Class 1 for any non commercial vehicle. I photocopied my Maryland license just to show a LEO that I used to have one if I get stopped.

Posted : July 23, 2018 12:54 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

That is the MAIN reason I will not allow my CDL A to expire.. I allowed the HAZMAT endorsement to expire as I did not feel like re testing every year ( or paying for it every year).. But I will keep my "A" with all my endorsements ( M-P-T-N )

Posted : July 23, 2018 8:25 AM
Share: