New To Fifth Wheels

Notifications
Clear all

New To Fifth Wheels

25 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@Anonymous)

Looking for some wisdom as we are new to Fifth Wheels. We have been full timing for 15 years and are in a 45' tag axel motor home but are moving to a Fifth Wheel since we purchased a home and will probably only be traveling about six months of the year.
We are looking at the Redwood 3901MB with a Dry Weight of 14402 and GVW 17900. We are also looking at purchasing a Ford F-350 Diesel, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Crew Cab that has a hitch rating of 18,000 to tow. We have owned dual wheel Fords before and would prefer not to go dual wheels at this time.
We would greatly appreciate any observations or opinions on our plan before we make the move. We are currently in Ohio and will be heading to Florida next week to try and make this transition. Any and all thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Feel free to contact us directly if preferred at (coded email for security) ronsuewoodie at gmail dot com
THANK YOU

Posted : October 28, 2018 10:35 AM
(@Anonymous)

I can't say for the master bath model, but our Redwood 36RL which had less of a GVWR than that and listed as only 2,700 lbs pin weight, quickly ran to 4,350 lbs on the pin. My F350 SRW was toast as it was overloading the tires, not to mention the payload. We had to go to a dually.

Posted : October 28, 2018 12:15 PM
(@Anonymous)

Wow! That is an eye opener. Can you give us an idea of what was added to increase your "Pin Weight" that much? We are thinking of adding a washer/dryer and generator plus normal use items that would go in the front of the rig. This is invaluable info to consider before we make our final decision on this package.
If anyone out there is towing with a SRW F-350 sure would appreciate your input as well.
THANKS

Posted : October 28, 2018 1:51 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

As stated on here many times, there is age old disagreement on this forum and the other about SRW vs. DRW towing. Opinions are pretty cast in concrete on both fronts, so the best advice is study the hard facts of payload capacity of the SRW vs. the DRW. I'm one not to run anything at upper capacity limit, but there are those on these forums who do. Each has to make their own decision. But trust Brad on his pin weights; it doesn't take much to get over 3K to 3.5K (or more). A number of us started out with a 1 ton SRW and very quickly traded for a DRW. The stability and payload capacity is night and day. A generator and washer/dryer will for the most part go on the pin, as well as fresh water. Another factor is if you'll be towing long distances or weekend warrior vacation trips. If you're fulltiming it, my advice is to get the DRW. I did and an very glad I did.

Posted : October 28, 2018 2:49 PM
(@Anonymous)

Our 36RL had the Washer/Dryer and the 5500LP Generator, but we weren't full timers so realistically it shouldn't have been "stuffed" necessarily. Back then Redwood gave you a 100 gal fresh water tank which sat between the pin and the axle, which didn't help.

Here are our CAT scales after we got our 2008 dually (kept it a year, then bought a new 2014) - the first ticket is the empty truck, the second is with the Redwood empty as we picked it up from the storage garage (no water or food or clothes #3480 pin), and the third is fully loaded ready for vacation (4320 pin).

Other floor plans are different based on how utilities were arranged. The FL models were lighter on the pin, but heavier on the axle.

Posted : October 28, 2018 3:12 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I'll add this: We have a '16 MB, same basic floor plan, we just have the Butler's Pantry vs the Half Bath. We have the Washer, Dryer, and Onan 5500 Generator and our unit left the Factory at just under 16K empty. We're "Most Timers" so we're generally loaded heavy, so we have the MORryde IS with a 24K MORryde Pin Box and 24K Comfort Ride Hitch and we're pushing 19K plus going down the road.

Posted : October 28, 2018 3:31 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Similar to Brad & Jim, we started with a 2012 F350 SRW. We towed our 2013 36FL for over 25,000 miles, with many of them through the Rockies. However, the SRW was maxed out on load.

To stay within towing limits, we had to travel light - all tanks empty, especially the FW tank. This gave us a pin weight of 3,050 lbs, which was 50 lbs below the max weight we could put on the rear axle. The coach weight (as per scale) was 15,500 lbs, so we were 500 lbs below the max we could tow. The Gross Combined was also very tight - within about 100 lbs, if memory is correct.

While the new trucks have higher load numbers, your coach is also much heavier than our FL. We traded the 2012 for a 2016 F350 DRW and now travel with piece of mind.

Many of us paid the price of starting with a SRW and then upgrading to a DRW. Suggest starting with a DRW and saving a ton of cash.

Posted : October 28, 2018 7:26 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I pull our 2015 RL38 with a single rear wheel GMC 3500. with water I am 400lbs over my rear tire load rating . Crew cab 4x4 so I will say it can be done but our next truck with be rated to tow and carry more. Our current truck is rated at 11,500 lb and combine rated at 25600 lbs so we are MAXED out on every stat. I have since upgraded to 19.5" tires to get a safety margin against blow out but it feels heavy when your on poor roads, just not a surefooted as I want. Not sure if a DRW 1 ton is the path we are thinking ? I may get a MD truck for just pulling use and keep my 1 ton SRW for a year or two then go back to a 2500 Duramax truck for daily driver (not used for pulling the redwood). My SRW 1 ton has air bags , this is a must have at 3300 lbs of pin weight +hitch and extra fuel tank.

Posted : October 28, 2018 8:38 PM
(@Anonymous)

Thank you to everyone for responses. This isn't what we wanted to hear BUT so thankful to have the knowledge now instead of regretting our decision later. We really hadn't thought about location of water tank. We are use to our coach that would be just about impossible to overload but we are now determined to make the switch to a Fifth Wheel and do less resort camping and more traveling.
Our initial thought was to try and stay under 39' length but we really like the bath and a half at 40'. Wondered if there is a motivating reason to try and stay shorter?

Posted : October 28, 2018 9:34 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

If length is an issues, might want to verify the actual length. Our 36FL is closer to 41'. There's many parks we can't get into, but in our experience only a couple of feet shorter would not make much difference.

Posted : October 28, 2018 11:37 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Thank you to everyone for responses. This isn't what we wanted to hear BUT so thankful to have the knowledge now instead of regretting our decision later. We really hadn't thought about location of water tank. We are use to our coach that would be just about impossible to overload but we are now determined to make the switch to a Fifth Wheel and do less resort camping and more traveling.
Our initial thought was to try and stay under 39' length but we really like the bath and a half at 40'. Wondered if there is a motivating reason to try and stay shorter?

in our case we have a king bed and slide in a slide with washer and drier in the side closet . The basement is packed with chairs and camping equipment similar to a full timer but lighter. I have everything from spare water pump to spare wheel bearings ,seal and races for bearing. So yes I could go on a diet but that isn't the issue , the truck is the issue. If I didn't have a W/D and slide in a slide I would be fine with 50 gallons of water in the tank. SRW is just to close in max GCW (gross combine weight and rear axel weight). Ford has a higher rating on there rear axel then GM because of tire size on the 350 SRW , that being said it can be under max rating depending on RV and how its loaded. In my case the owner of the truck isn't willing to diet so the truck is going to a new owner at some point soon . I put a lot of time and money into equipping this truck to haul heavy and should have known my scale numbers first. the dealers will tell you a F150 will be fine (some dealer) but all of us have learned from our adventures that there is a better way.

Posted : October 29, 2018 6:47 AM
(@Anonymous)

It was that dislike for that dually that played a key role in our decision to go to a MH.

Posted : October 29, 2018 8:58 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

x

Posted : October 29, 2018 7:12 PM
(@Anonymous)

Motorhome versus 5th Wheel...

Motorhomes are nice. I have to admit. Driving is easier and more comfortable. Backing is easier. Not having to get out in the rain to set the jacks is nice. Paying $6,000 for tires, $2000 for batteries, expensive oil changes, being without the home for engine repairs, $2000 for a tow bill. Bummers for sure.

A 5th wheel can have more storage. With more storage, you add more "stuff". More stuff, more weight.

A couple of things about a 5th Wheel: More space on the interior foot for foot. They don't have that wasted space where the driver and passenger sit. Layouts can be a little better on some models.

I know this isn't a debate MH vs 5th wheel, but after having both I would need to argue with you on many of your points - $6,000 tires - way out of line. My most expensive bid was $5,000 for 8 Michelins, and they don't get higher than that. $2,000 batteries - thats a lot of AGM batteries, more than most MHs hold. oil change expensive, eh - $299 Speedco for 29 quarts and 3 filters, not breaking the bank compared to what Ford gets for the F350.

Not sure when the last time you walked in a MH, but the front seats become part of the lounge and with slides out and level floor, there is actually little to no difference between a MH or 5er, except under the floor where the MH (mine) has 245 cubic ft of storage and a 9,000 lb payload and you won't get there in a 5er.
🙂

Posted : October 30, 2018 7:47 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

x

Posted : October 31, 2018 7:16 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: