Forum

Which truck do you ...

Notifications
Clear all

Which truck do you us and preferr to pull your trailer?

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hi
. We are getting ready to buy our redwood. We now have a 2007 Silverado 3500hd dually with 4x4 crew diesel. We love it. I drive it all over Alaska pulling ocean bayliner boat. I understand about the weight limits. I am just curious about what some of you have learned about the different trucks out there.Likes and dislikes.

Scott

Posted : January 1, 2019 4:20 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Hi
. We are getting ready to buy our redwood. We now have a 2007 Silverado 3500hd dually with 4x4 crew diesel. We love it. I drive it all over Alaska pulling ocean bayliner boat. I understand about the weight limits. I am just curious about what some of you have learned about the different trucks out there.Likes and dislikes.

Scott

That could be a loaded question!!
The truck you have should be adequate to tow any model RW you choose, unless you're wanting to upgrade. The newer models will have more hp/torque, an exhaust brake & integrated trailer brake controller.
As to brand, all of the big 3 are good choices.
I'm a GM guy so am biased towards them. If shopping again would probably go with another GM, the Duramax/Allison is proven to be a tough combination to beat.
Wouldn't rule out a Ram, the Cummins is as tough as they come & with the new Aisin transmissions are also a good combo.
IMHO from 30 years of experience driving them at work that other brand is not even in the running to me.
It boils down to what do you want or like, but ultimately it's your choice, can't go wrong with any if them.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : January 2, 2019 12:34 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Danny provided an excellent response. We started with a 2012 F350 SRW, but quickly upgraded to a F-350 dually.

Any DRW from the big 3 can easily handle a RW.

Just noted it was your first post, so welcome to the ROG. Hope you enjoy your RW when you complete the purchase.

Posted : January 2, 2019 10:34 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I absolutely love my “14” Ram 3500 dually with the Cummins diesel and Aisen trans! Comfortable, powerful and looks great!

Posted : January 2, 2019 11:24 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Years ago I had a seasoned fellow rver tell me that there are 3 topics you don't bring up in a rv park, politics, religion & your favorite brand of truck, any of the 3 will most certainly start an argument.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : January 2, 2019 11:42 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Unfortunately our Redwood is parked somewhat permanently right now. I don't have a truck to pull it, and we do our traveling in the motorhome right now. When I do get a truck for towing, there's no doubt in my mind that it will be an HDT. A good HDT is cheaper and more comfortable than a new or nearly new dually, and is a whole lot more truck. If I ended up with the heaviest fiver out there, I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading my truck too.

Posted : January 2, 2019 12:10 PM
(@Anonymous)

Any one of the big three trucks would be good! Some of the RW RV's are pin heavy so a duallie is recommended in case you choose one of the heavier ones.

I'm a Ford fan, a F350 diesel super cab duallie 8 ft box truck would be my choice if I buy again, our Golden Retriever will have to get used to the smaller space than he has in our crew cab presently!

Posted : January 2, 2019 12:27 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Been very happy with the F350 SRW that we've had since 2014. We've been as far west as Phoenix and as far east as Myrtle Beach, SC and then down to middle Florida. Never any problems. Rig has Disc brakes, IS System and 17.5 Goodyear "H" tires.

Posted : January 2, 2019 8:29 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hi

Scott

Scott welcome aboard,

Here is why I drive a GM Duramax truck . I put about 20000+ miles a year on my trucks so what ever I am in has to be comfortable and able to work hard. I have had a few small issues with My GM diesel trucks none of them big enough to consider looking at the other 2 brands. I have been a GM diesel owner since 1993 and I have owned almost every version of motor they have produced. All have good power and great longevity. 3 of the truck have had over 170,000 on them at trade in time and not worn out or rust buckets , keep in mind they have spent there entire life in Massachusetts and I use it to tow my snowmobiles in the winter. They are just good trucks period. Bottom line is you have to like what your sitting in every day not just the day your pulling a 17,000 lb 5th wheel up a hill to your next camping location.

Posted : January 2, 2019 9:42 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Any of the BIG 3 will do the job, after that, it's just personal preference as to which brand you choose.. Everyone of us can and will argue the point of WHY our brand is better..

Like Jay, my "15" F-350 SRW does fantastic for what I use it for. If I were to tow more than I do now, I would jump to a DRW, but with still being a weekend warrior, my truck needs are not the same as a fulltimer... MY pin - 3180# loaded for a weekend

Posted : January 3, 2019 8:35 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We started with a F350 diesel, switched to a 2013 Ram megacab diesel, 1 ton and much prefer it!! Tows like a dream and way more comfortable. I (wife) do 1/2 the driving and appreciate so many of the comfort features of the Ram. Able to pull and go the speed limit and mountain passes do not slow us down at all. Quiet too. We wanted to like the GM and Chevy but in 2013 they just lacked so much on the interior. Before 2013, we were Ford people all the way, for about 30 years.

Posted : January 3, 2019 10:18 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcome to ROG. Mrs. Karen and I are not new to camping we have done it most of our lives. Actually my favorite is taking my wheeler or a bush plane way out into the Alaskan wilderness and staying for a week or so. When we make our transition we will be full time. We are excited to do so, just following our plan to make it happen.
Scott & Mrs Karen

Arctic Cajuns

Posted : January 5, 2019 6:06 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

As an auto dealer I enjoy reading the testimonials of owners and their trucks. Nearly everyone likes their truck, which confirms my belief that all three domestic manufacturers make very good products. I believe the manufacturers do a great job of disassembling and studying all the facets of their competition. Dodge has certainly had a longer road to catch up and has done so in great fashion. Our dealerships sell all domestics (and some imports) except Ford, which is a great product. I personally drive a GMC Denali one ton SRW and tow our 2015 RW 36RL as a weekender. Thus, I don’t carry the weight full-timers carry and am quite pleased with the performance and safety. If I could mate the Ford cab to the Cummins diesel with the Allison transmission and GM independent suspension, I would have the best of all all worlds IMHO.

For the GM fans, I read in a recent Automotive News (weekly tabloid for manufacturers, dealers and anyone interested or involved in the auto industry) that the 2020 Chevy HD (assume GMC also) will include a new front fascia, Duramax turbodiesel V-8 rated at 910 pound-feet of torque, with a new 10 speed Allison transmission. In addition it will include “all-new customer focused trailering technology and significant increases in towing and payload capabilities.

Ford and Dodge fans not to worry. Keeping up with the Joneses is still alive and well in Detroit, with the Asian and Europeans keeping close watch.

Posted : January 8, 2019 1:46 PM
Share: