Looking for RV Insurance

15 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

My DW is in process of looking for RV insurance. Does any ones insurance company offer full replacement coverage and if so what company are you with?

Posted : September 19, 2016 8:39 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We have USAA for our vehicles and Progressive for our Redwood. Both have been outstanding to deal with. Progressive has covered a couple of claims regarding our Redwood and settled them in an outstanding manner

Posted : September 19, 2016 9:39 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

It will all depend on a number of factors, but here is a list of RV Insurers:

At this time, National General seems to be pretty good for us. Most of the companies on this list have some sort of total replacement plan. It just depends on how they apply that term...

National General is available from Twin Peaks in Florida:

3677 Davie Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL
954 791-5007
atwinpeaks@aol.com

When your TV comes up, we're having extremely good results thus far with Amica.

Posted : September 19, 2016 10:18 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We are full timers and just switched to National General (Good Sam) for our truck and 5th wheele. We also have Good Sam road side assistance.

Posted : September 20, 2016 8:00 AM
(@Anonymous)

We were able to get replacement through Good Sam (National General) over a year after we bought the Redwood. I think 2 years is the limit. It has a nice appeal - replacement value based on your MSRP for 5 years, then no less than your purchase price for as long as you own it. Just be careful that you clearly understand what those prices are - we purchased with the understanding our MSRP was replacement cost, but when I renewed, they suddenly were talking the base MSRP without options, which would have been less then we actually paid for it. I was a little concerned it may have come to a push and shove if we really had a claim. It was also expensive.

We no longer qualify for replacement without our used coach now, so we found
Safeco to offer the best value.

We never had claims with either company.

Posted : September 20, 2016 9:30 AM
(@Anonymous)

For Canadians, Wayfarer Insurance brokers in Beaverton Ontario have RV policies that offer full replacement value coverage, the insurance company writing the policies is Elite Insurance.

Posted : September 20, 2016 12:09 PM
(@Anonymous)

We have National General through Good Sam. Their premiums and customer service have been very good so far.

Posted : September 20, 2016 2:25 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I have our home, vehicles and Redwood covered with Safeco. For our Redwood we have a flat dollar replacement plan which assures we receive a fix dollar amount for a total loss. The fixed amount is about 20% more than we paid for our fully loaded RW. I can have that adjusted upward as inflation eats into that amount. It is a piece of mind for us. Safeco has been great for tornado damage to two different homes of ours and our RW for tire blowout damage and a break-in that damaged the front door of the RM. They responded within minutes. We have had their coverage for about 25 years.

Posted : September 20, 2016 4:31 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Question. We all have coverage on our RW's, BUT what coverage are we talking about?

Is it the same as your tow vehicle? or is it more like homeowners insurance coverage? I'm not sure ours would cover the RW if parked (unless it was attached to the vehicle).

Posted : September 20, 2016 10:29 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Our RW is on our overall policy covering our home, vehicles and RW. The RW is covered on the road, in storage and parked at a campground. A call to your insurance company agent could be helpful with your questions as all policies are not the same.

Posted : September 20, 2016 10:41 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Question. We all have coverage on our RW's, BUT what coverage are we talking about?

Is it the same as your tow vehicle? or is it more like homeowners insurance coverage? I'm not sure ours would cover the RW if parked (unless it was attached to the vehicle).

Our policy is through our local broker and is underwritten by Aviva Canada, part of the Aviva UK Group. We have damage repair up to full replacement coverage in the event the coach is a write off, regardless of whether it is being driven, in storage or in a campground. It also covers contents, as a % of insured value. It has a multitude of additional clauses covering hotel costs, pets, golf carts, decks/sheds, etc.

Aviva have policies tailored specifically for RV'ers.

However, this level of coverage isn't cheap, as we pay a little over CAN $900 a year, which would be about US $700.

Posted : September 21, 2016 7:55 AM
(@Anonymous)

Andy, it sounds like we have the same carrier, Elite is part of Aviva.

As a comment to SandK's comment, I think they are right in the fact that the RV insurance is somewhat like a homeowner policy. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong!) that your TV policy covers the RW for any liability issues when towing. The RV policy covers it when parked for the issues Andy mentioned and in ours includes liability claim coverage resulting from suits (for example if someone trips on your steps, breaks a leg and then sues you for having slippery steps!).

Posted : September 21, 2016 9:06 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thank you to all of the information on insurance. After a week of searching we finally made our decision. Once again, thank you.

Posted : September 28, 2016 10:05 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

If I could ask, who did you decide to go with?

Posted : September 29, 2016 9:30 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

If I could ask, who did you decide to go with?

We are going with Safeco.

Posted : September 29, 2016 5:18 PM
Share: