Notifications
Clear all

Water heater cover

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
(@rwcal)
Topic starter

At the bottom of our water heater cover are 2 small holes that mate with 2 small (1/16” or so) plastic nubs.  One of the nubs appears to have broken off.  I can drill out the missing nub, but what do I replace it with?  Should I glue it in?
any ideas would be appreciated😩

Posted : April 21, 2021 9:46 AM
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

I might just find a small machine screw that's close to the right dimension and insert it into the cover with some JB Weld.  Would make it better than original.

Just did a similar type fix on the Stove/Microwave Exhaust Flapper by using a small finishing nail and JB Weld.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Posted : April 21, 2021 1:45 PM
(@rwcal)
Topic starter

Great idea!  I think that will definitely solve the problem👍
thanks! 

Posted : April 25, 2021 5:42 AM
webberwj
(@webberwj)
Eminent Member

I have a 2020 4001LK (rear kitchen) and had the exact same issue ... it appeared one of the little nubs was broken off with an attempted repair before I took possession at the dealer, and the other broke off in my hand even when I was being gentle expecting it to be fragile ...

I drilled out both holes then put a large finishing nail into each ... now I have new "nubs" that fit right up into the holes of the door/cover as before.  I do not recommend epoxy but just a soft sealant incase you need to remove them one day to replace/fix the hot water heater itself.

The dealer was going to just replace the entire door/cover with an exact new one and repaint it the full body paint colors ... my bet was the paint would never match up correctly and the new door would break right off just as this one had.  They only had very fragile aluminum posts with a rivet into very thin aluminum ... an extremely poor design for a veteran company like Suburban!

Posted : April 25, 2021 7:27 PM
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

They must have really cheapen them up.  Our is 6 years old, over 50K miles, and even removed a couple of years ago to replace the Tank that sprung a leak at a welded seam.  And still going strong.

I guess that's part of the reason we plan on keeping this '16 until it totally falls apart, plus none of the new models float our boat.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Posted : April 26, 2021 7:07 AM
blaesnford reacted
Share: