Thermostat Activates both heat pump and Propane at same time:

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We have a 2013 31sl with a heat pump. Problem is that the propane heater also comes on when I slide the switch all the ways over to “Elec. Heat.” Don’t remember it doing that last year. I’m figuring that this is a thermostat problem seeing how both the propane heater and AC units are working correctly on the other thermostat settings.
Q. has anyone one else had to replace their thermostat? Seems like a thermostat should not have this type of issue??
Q. If I do replace the thermostat is it a simple modular plug swap out near the thermostat itself? I didn’t want to chance breaking any of the solder points on the thermostat circuit board so I’ve left it alone until I have a replacement in hand. I looks like a single bundled wire running into the wall behind the thermostat. I hoping that there’s modular plugs hidden in the wall behind the thermostat that make this an easy swap out??
Q. The current unit is a RVComfort.hp unit. Is there a better more durable unit out there that I should use for the replacement?

Thanks for any input...

Posted : October 19, 2019 12:05 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

We have a 2013 31sl with a heat pump. Problem is that the propane heater also comes on when I slide the switch all the ways over to “Elec. Heat.” Don’t remember it doing that last year. I’m figuring that this is a thermostat problem seeing how both the propane heater and AC units are working correctly on the other thermostat settings.
Q. has anyone one else had to replace their thermostat? Seems like a thermostat should not have this type of issue??
Q. If I do replace the thermostat is it a simple modular plug swap out near the thermostat itself? I didn’t want to chance breaking any of the solder points on the thermostat circuit board so I’ve left it alone until I have a replacement in hand. I looks like a single bundled wire running into the wall behind the thermostat. I hoping that there’s modular plugs hidden in the wall behind the thermostat that make this an easy swap out??
Q. The current unit is a RVComfort.hp unit. Is there a better more durable unit out there that I should use for the replacement?

Thanks for any input...

Don't change anything just yet!
If the tstat is set 3 to 5 degrees above the ambient temp the furnace will also start til the set temp is met then the next time heat is needed only the hp should start. Increase the tstat temp only a couple degrees at a time til you reach your desired indoor temp.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : October 19, 2019 2:11 PM
(@Anonymous)

If the above suggestion doesn't solve the problem, another couple of comments.

If you lose power to the stat it will default to about 72F when the power returns and if the temp is low both the HP and gas heat will come on.

I also had an issue with my stat, it would randomly go to 72F overnight regardless of what temp I set it at. Replacing the stat solved the problem

Posted : October 20, 2019 6:52 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks! You were right the propane heat only kicks in if there is a substantial difference between the set point and actual temperature. I must have missed that nugget when I read the manuals: :S

Silly of me to think that the the label on the thermostat that say's "Electric Heat" means only Electric Heat. One would think that they could add a little more to the label on the thermostat, e.g. "Elec. & Gas Heat." Oh well...

Thanks again, saved me from potentially going down the wrong path. This is why forums like this site are so valuable, chances are that someone else has already addressed an issue.

Posted : October 21, 2019 9:42 PM
Share: