Clear all

EMS vs Surge Protection

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cam62)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My apologies if this has been answered as I thought I had posted here or on the FB ROG page but could not find anything related to this. We have a 2021 4001lk unit with the onboard EMS installed. My question is do you really require an additional inline surge protection system? From what I've read and my intermediate electrical knowledge it seems to me that the EMS should handle everything plus what a surge protector would do unless I am missing something. What started all of this was we were in a park that was supposedly 50 Amp service but my EMS only reported 30 Amps. Found out that only 120 VAC across the "HOT" legs instead of 240 VAC, 180 degrees out of phase for a true 50 amp circuit with a double pole breaker - another topic. So, not sure if a surge protector is needed or just added protection.

Posted : June 5, 2023 1:28 AM
(@bsomms)

Hey Cam62,  I also have a 2021 Redwood, but a 3401RL.  My unit did not come with an EMS or surge protector.  Mine came with a Southwire Transfer Switch and then a Power Control System panel that (I think) connects to the transfer switch to determine what voltage legs are present when I plug in to shore power.  I could never find an electrical schematic for these Redwoods to see the details of what is connected and how the components are connected. I don't believe the transfer switch contains any TVS's (Transient Voltage Suppressors) and that is why I bought a portable Southwire Surge Guard 50A.  I figured the Southwire components should play well together.  ...Scott...

This post was modified 11 months ago 2 times by Barbara LaHaye

Posted : June 5, 2023 7:21 AM
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

I have an older RW, 2016 39MB and it came with nothing.  All controls are manual/switches which is what we wanted, didn't want to have to go to a panel to turn a light on.
I have a hardwired true EMS with a remote display in my control panel.  Gives me the voltage and current on each leg.  Will shut down power if it drops below 104 Volts or above 130, it will also shut down if the 60 cycles is off by a certain percentage.  It does also have surge protection and the ability to bypass the unit in an emergency.
If you can make the Rally in July you could ask any number of other owners or Crossroads/Redwood directly and find out exactly what your unit does or doesn't do.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Posted : June 5, 2023 2:10 PM
(@cam62)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for all the replies.

Posted : July 26, 2023 3:36 PM
Share: