[Closed] Surge Protector

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Is the Progressive Industries Surge Protector better than a Surge Guard Protector?

Posted : June 8, 2017 6:23 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The only surge protector we've owned is the Progressive portable unit. It has helped us on numerous occasions detecting low voltage from park elect pedestals. Price was good and it has a lifetime warranty.

Bob

Posted : June 8, 2017 6:59 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The two specifications are attached.

Either one will work on your rig. Progressive Industries seems to advertise a lot more functions and abilities. I personally have the Progressive Industries Hard-Wire Unit and it has saved the rig on a number of occasions

Since I have not used the Surge Guard, I could not make a recommendation.

The Progressive is EXPENSIVE but a breeze to wire up. You also get personalized one-on-one service if you need help. If I change rigs, I would buy another Progressive without hesitation.

I've attached what I could find on both...

Posted : June 8, 2017 6:33 PM
(@Anonymous)

I have a couple of surge guard portables, a 30 amp that's been around from the time we had 30 amp RV's and a newer 50 amp one. Both have worked well and protected us from low voltage, high voltage (in Mexico) and in one case having no voltage on one leg of a 50 amp pedestal.

If I were to buy another one, it would be a model that gives more information (voltage, amp draw etc.) than the surge guard that just has LED's that give the condition. I would also buy a built in unit, as both our portables had had the male plugs burn up due to bad pedestal receptacles, the plugs are hard to change out as the units aren't designed to be taken apart, you have to do that to replace the plugs. Much easier to replace a plug on a standard power line.

Posted : June 9, 2017 8:58 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The Hard-Wired Progressive unit has a display that can mount in your controls area. It will show you real time Volts, Amps, Hertz, and "Error" codes for each Phase (leg) coming in. In addition, you can buy the same display and mount the other at the cord plug in. The only issue is that you have to flip the switch to "B" (outside) display if you want to see it. Having installed this remote unit, I would not do this again since I have to go inside to flip the switch, I might as well watch it while I'm inside.

If you buy the hard-wired, there is no chance anyone could take it like they can with a portable unit.

I have a blog on the installation somewhere on this site. Pics are included. It should be under this electrical heading...

Posted : June 9, 2017 9:59 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I had the Surge Guard mounted in the storage are of my SOB ten years ago when I purchased it. It saved us numerous times all over the country. Kind of frustrating when it does its job and shuts down the air when it is 90 plus degrees. But it saved us thousands of dollars in fried electronics. On our new to us RW I purchased the Progressive inline because of the price savings at the time. I also like the display on the progressive and remote monitor because on our old one there was no way to tell what the problem with park power was. Now that not being a problem. First time out at the state park it kicked twice during the night while we were sleeping low voltage situation. I believe both brands provide great protection either way you will not go wrong.......

Posted : June 15, 2017 9:53 AM
(@Anonymous)

Is the Progressive Industries Surge Protector better than a Surge Guard Protector?

I would not say that at all. They both get the job done and are competitive in cost when comparing apples to apples.

I did install a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 in my Redwood, mainly because it was cheaper than the Surge Guard 40240 alternative. It did the job, but I was disappointing when the cheesy instructions were printed with the install pictures upside down and when I installed it upside down and called them, the gal giggled and said they have been needing to fix that. Also the numeric readout card kept falling out of its receptacle on rough roads and I finally had to take it apart and wire tie it to its socket. Those that got the remote annunciator didn't have that issue.

In total perspective - I consider Progressive Industries a novice in the field (back yard) compared to TRC Surge guard. TRC's product line goes well beyond anything Progressive Industries builds, including marine, power management and multi-function systems. Our MH uses Surge Guard products from the factory for surge, transfer of power, even the electric cord reel and they are well built products from a competent company.

Posted : June 15, 2017 2:17 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I would not say that at all. They both get the job done and are competitive in cost when comparing apples to apples.

I did install a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 in my Redwood, mainly because it was cheaper than the Surge Guard 40240 alternative. It did the job, but I was disappointing when the cheesy instructions were printed with the install pictures upside down and when I installed it upside down and called them, the gal giggled and said they have been needing to fix that. Also the numeric readout card kept falling out of its receptacle on rough roads and I finally had to take it apart and wire tie it to its socket. Those that got the remote annunciator didn't have that issue.

In total perspective - I consider Progressive Industries a novice in the field (back yard) compared to TRC Surge guard. TRC's product line goes well beyond anything Progressive Industries builds, including marine, power management and multi-function systems. Our MH uses Surge Guard products from the factory for surge, transfer of power, even the electric cord reel and they are well built products from a competent company.

Looking at the specs a few posts up, the Progressive "seems" to cover a lot more issues than the TRC. What are we missing?

Posted : June 15, 2017 3:45 PM
(@Anonymous)

Looking at the specs a few posts up, the Progressive "seems" to cover a lot more issues than the TRC. What are we missing?

As I stated, you need to compare apples to apples and I don't think you are. The Surge Guard 3550 to me is nothing more than a portable without the cords, and not a fair comparison to the top of the line Progressive model. Even still, they are very close, with the Surge Guard perhaps missing the frequency protection and 240v protection. A more fair comparison in my mind is the Surge Guard 40240.

http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/hardwires-portables/50a-hardwire-plus

Posted : June 15, 2017 7:50 PM
(@robert-clark)

Posted by: @j_a_wolfe

I have an EMS-PT30X and it works very well. Confirms the electrical circuit is working properly before allowing flow to your RV. It displays amps being consumed so you know if limits are being surpassed. We use a couple of padlocks and a chain with one lock around the cord and the other end locked to the electrical outlet. The delay of electric flow after plugging in or an electrical interruption ensures RV components are protected. Have only used it for a couple of months and so far so good.

Posted : September 19, 2020 4:18 AM
Share: