What Additional Features Would You Like To See

21 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I read with interest Steve's (Char+Steve) recent post regarding getting additional traffic on the forum and whether discussion should focus on RW's or be more general.

The ROG is still in its infancy and still has a fairly small member base, but it is growing steadily. It is entirely run by volunteers and we always want to hear suggestions for what the members are looking for.

So, here is an opportunity to advise regarding:
- What do you want from the forum, should it be only for RW discussions, or discussions of a more general nature.
- If you suggest general discussion, what additional topics would be of interest
- What additional features would you like to see.

Posted : May 4, 2016 12:05 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Good note Andy ,
I think we all could benefit from general discussions about anything... You know, bar chat.. Round table discussions.. I like when the discussions are not always related to RW's , it broadens our horizons .
Hobbies-
favorite spots-
sports teams-
NASCAR-
Jobs-
Anything but politics 🙂

Posted : May 4, 2016 8:02 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

"To expand that thought, how about a section for every state. In each state there could be topics for cool and interesting places/campgrounds people have stayed at. Details on how well these big redwoods fit in."

I'm always looking for recommendations to RV campgrounds from trusted sources.

Posted : May 4, 2016 12:20 PM
(@Anonymous)

"To expand that thought, how about a section for every state. In each state there could be topics for cool and interesting places/campgrounds people have stayed at. Details on how well these big redwoods fit in."

I'm always looking for recommendations to RV campgrounds from trusted sources.

I was actually thinking about something similar, adding a section for "open all year" campgrounds in the north (by state), seems to be a question often asked by snowbirds. The info can be found in directories but it would be better coming from places people (RW owners) have stayed at and commented on (for example "open but very muddy in the winter").

Posted : May 4, 2016 1:43 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Also, how about good places to stop while traveling. So far,being a newbie, I have found it easier to sleep in rest stops then to try to figure out which camp ground would be efficient for a one night layover.

Posted : May 4, 2016 2:25 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

One more topic idea. Camp Site etiquette.

For instance, What is the latest you should arrive at a new campsite. Is it 8Pm, 10PM or no problem showing up at 3am.

Or, if I go someplace without a sewer connection, can I dump my grey tank on the ground or do I need to do it at night when nobody can see me B)

I'm sure there is plenty of unspoken rules that people newbies don't know about.

Posted : May 4, 2016 2:32 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I would wait for nightfall and leave before dawn

Posted : May 4, 2016 4:44 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Thirty years ago we camped a couple local county parks & they had signs posted "our trees live your grey water", but you don't see that anymore. IMO the grey water on the ground doesn't hurt a thing. In fact CR builds some smaller TTs with outdoor sinks that do just that, drain on the ground. The biggest problem is a lot of folks don't know the difference between black & Gray.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : May 4, 2016 5:53 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

That and some of the chemicals etc they put down the drain would probably kill those poor trees

Posted : May 4, 2016 6:04 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I am just throwing this out there.
Is it possible the other forums are easier to navigate. Redwood, crossroads, IRV2 are all based on the same website platform. As you know people are not used to change. For people that are not computer savy this one is a lot different to navigate.

Posted : May 4, 2016 8:44 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I agree, each state for information like camp sites and places, etc. Not a general site , but one with a listing for each state.

Posted : May 4, 2016 8:46 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Let's start a thread on new products, new features in RV's as others have said campgrounds, fuel stations, sights to see, where to buy the cheapest beer, over night stops, repair places, mobile techs, best roads between point a and B,jokes, you name it. I think if we can broaden the scope of Rving a bit will help us grow

Posted : May 4, 2016 8:52 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Is it possible the other forums are easier to navigate. Redwood, crossroads, IRV2 are all based on the same website platform. As you know people are not used to change. For people that are not computer savy this one is a lot different to navigate.

I think your point is valid and will suggest it at the next Board meeting.

Posted : May 4, 2016 9:04 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Let's start a thread on new products, new features in RV's as others have said campgrounds, fuel stations, sights to see, where to buy the cheapest beer, over night stops, repair places, mobile techs, best roads between point a and B,jokes, you name it. I think if we can broaden the scope of Rving a bit will help us grow

I also agree. Lots of info here but very hard to navigate sometimes. Other forums seem to be much easier to navigate. When using my back button I would like to just go to where I was before but I always end up back at the home. This is also the only site that seems to insert the QUOTE reply below the quoted post. Most other sites just put the QUOTE post in order of time posted.

Steve

Posted : May 4, 2016 9:33 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Shane,

We researched all the existing forum software and others that were available. The package used by the ones you suggested is an older version, which has since been updated, but few if any use the upgrade. The older version is no longer supported and needed computer programming/web design skills that we don't have readily available.

Our research determined that while this system may not be as user friendly, in the long run the ease of development and expandability were a better fit. As an example, I have zero programming skills or web design skills, but in a fairly short period was able to create the technical menu and upload the content.

We also considered and priced hiring web design companies, but the preference was to keep costs to a minimum, as the costs were substantial.

For anyone having challenges please check the FAQ section or drop Ken or I a PM and we are more than willing to assist. If you can think of anything to add to the FAQ section, let me know and I'll develop it and upload.

Posted : May 5, 2016 4:06 AM
Page 1 / 2
Share: