Refrigerator/Ice Maker Line Winter Use

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Has anyone tried running a heat trace and insulation on the kitchen slide out refrigerator/ice maker line? In my 2018GK the line runs from inside the underbelly near the rear of the kitchen slide and is exposed under the slide out up to the point it enters the slide near the refrigerator (about 9 feet). The line seems to be a reinforced flexible 5/8" vinyl hose similar to your typical RV water supply line. I'm a bit concerned about heat trace on this material. Last year I just winterized this line by isolating it and draining it but I sure missed fresh ice and water during the winter.

Posted : September 24, 2018 4:26 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Has anyone tried running a heat trace and insulation on the kitchen slide out refrigerator/ice maker line? In my 2018GK the line runs from inside the underbelly near the rear of the kitchen slide and is exposed under the slide out up to the point it enters the slide near the refrigerator (about 9 feet). The line seems to be a reinforced flexible 5/8" vinyl hose similar to your typical RV water supply line. I'm a bit concerned about heat trace on this material. Last year I just winterized this line by isolating it and draining it but I sure missed fresh ice and water during the winter.

Currently, we drain our line. It's just not worth the risk. You might be able to heat trace it. It's wrapped at the solenoid. There is even a plug behind the refrigerator on the GK. One could probably tap that with a short piece of tape (and insulation).

Here is a 6' piece if it's worth the try:

https://www.amazon.com/King-Electric-CWP042-6-Constant-wattage-120-volt/dp/B00OA995J4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1537824073&sr=8-8&keywords=heat+trace

Posted : September 24, 2018 5:22 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Currently, we drain our line. It's just not worth the risk. You might be able to heat trace it. It's wrapped at the solenoid. There is even a plug behind the refrigerator on the GK. One could probably tap that with a short piece of tape (and insulation).

Here is a 6' piece if it's worth the try:

https://www.amazon.com/King-Electric-CWP042-6-Constant-wattage-120-volt/dp/B00OA995J4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1537824073&sr=8-8&keywords=heat+trace

Thanks Gip. Just for clarification I have a residential refrigerator/ice maker and not the absorption RV refrigerator. I would think I could get by with only heat tracing and wrapping only the exterior section from where it comes out of the underbelly to where it goes into the slide out. I've attached a picture. The ice maker line is the white hose in the photo. I could just pick up power for the heat trace at my 20 amp plug on my service pedestal. I don't see why you would need to protect the line in the underbelly or once it's entered the slideout since those are both heated spaces. Thoughts?

Posted : September 24, 2018 6:05 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Your headed down the path I would have taken. Seems like an excellent choice if you want to try it. But if it fails, be prepared for the worst (just in case). Know where the shut off valve is. Under the kitchen sink? Winter can be hard...

Posted : September 24, 2018 9:33 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Are u going to skirt or leave open ? If you try leaving water line to fridge on , post your results. I've been curious on the same thing. I'm skirting mine now , but I'm not brave enough to leave that water line on.

Posted : September 25, 2018 10:54 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I’m going to leave ithe underside open as I did last winter (no skirting). I’m definitely not going to leave the ice maker line on unless I protect it with heat trace and insulation similar to my water supply line. I shut the ice maker line down and drained it last year but I’ve really gotten spoiled this summer with fresh ice and cold filtered water. I’ve got a couple of weeks before I need to make that decision. Lol

Posted : September 25, 2018 11:58 PM
(@Anonymous)

If you heat trace and wrap, you should be fine, it will actually conduct to the underbelly while the water sets stagnate.

Posted : September 26, 2018 11:22 AM
Share: