rv skirting

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

So we have moved in full time in the fifth wheel and will be in the location we are at for a few years , work is still getting in the way of traveling for now. So the question is to build some skirting or not ? Is it worth the money to skirt ? If skirted could we keep warm enough for fridge water line to stay on during winter ? Would you leave skirting on year around ? We are in the Texas panhandle with high winds and cold weather for our winters. We are staying where there really isn't much wind block. Even after the few years we are building a shop with a 25 x 60 covered spot for the fifth wheel and will live in it while we are at home base. So I could transfer the skirting there.

Posted : August 21, 2018 12:31 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Pro's and Con's to skirts....

Pro's:

Wind breaks

Keep the belly area warmer in winter for sure

Con's:

Expensive

Extremely heavy (the good ones)

Wear out in just a few seasons (especially in the wind)

Where do you store them when not in use.

A lot of time to set up or take down. You'll need help rolling it up and a forklift to pick it up.

You have to install a LOT of snaps or turn latches. That's another entry point for water.

Animals and pests can vacation under there (depending on where you are. It's quiet, dark, damp and safe. What kind do you want? Snakes, raccoon's, bobcats, ground squirrels, armadillos or possums? Not to mention roaches, ants or bees.

No real re-sale or value added.

If you want one, it's because it fits your situation.

Posted : August 21, 2018 6:44 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I’m thinking more on the lines of wood structure , don’t like the idea of all snaps or turnbuckles , but that just me. I know I would not take the skirting with me later down the road , but I figure we would come back to home base for the winters.

Posted : August 21, 2018 10:22 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Where in the panhandle? We grew up in Dumas!
Saw a 5th wheel there that had skirted his with 2×2" framing & 2" Styrofoam then painted to almost match. Not sure how it held up in the howling winter winds, but looked nice & shouldn't have been all that costly.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : August 21, 2018 11:15 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We r at the oasis now in Amarillo. I’m just wondering if it’s cost beneficial to skirt it ? Do u think it will help that much with heating or cooling ?

Posted : August 21, 2018 11:23 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Got a friend that skirted with the hardi board sheets (4X8') and used the vynl siding "J" channel on top with treated 2'X6" board on the inside with a 1'x4" with all screwed together (not sure how the top was secured.)

Posted : August 21, 2018 1:22 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Knowing Amarillo in the Winter I believe it would be a great idea unless you own a gas well.

Posted : August 21, 2018 2:41 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

We r at the oasis now in Amarillo. I’m just wondering if it’s cost beneficial to skirt it ? Do u think it will help that much with heating or cooling ?

Stayed there many times, our son just moved away from Bushland & our daughter is in Dumas.
We stayed there Dec '12 - March'13 with no skirting & other than using lots of LP the only thing that froze was the water spigot & hose.
As for the LP, I rented a 100 lb bottle & tied it into the system so I wasn't filling the 30 lb bottles once a week. The big one lasted about 6 weeks.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : August 21, 2018 4:04 PM
Share: