Dryer

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Is it possible convert the existing dryer outlet (110v) to have it run a 220v home dryer? I know someone that has a DRV that has a 220v dryer. I believe that his came from the factory wired this way.

Posted : March 22, 2019 4:55 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Carl it will take a skilled electrician to give you a a correct answer but I don't think you can. There is no 220 entering the coach so it would have to be rigged at the panel inside and I think balancing the load with the 2 A.C's would be a real problem. Possibly something could be done at the Generator Transfer Switch if you don't already have a generator. Are you and Patti going to be at the Rally?

Posted : March 22, 2019 7:57 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I think the short answer is no but with a caveat. The shore power entering the coach is 240VAC, but no electrical appliances inside are wired that way. Between each leg of the main breaker to neutral is 120VAC but measured between the legs at the main will be 240VAC. I suppose one could wire a new panel, but maybe more trouble than it's worth. We've spent 4 winter seasons living in ours and frankly the 120V dryer just hasn't been a problem for us.

Posted : March 22, 2019 10:37 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Fulltimed 6 years with the Splendide stackable w/d, never an issue with either. Had the Splendide w/d combo unit in our last 5er & would never recommend that to anyone, 2+ hours per load & ironing required on EVERYTHING.
Don't think it would be worth the trouble & expense to gain a few minutes of drying time. Also the DRV you mentioned most likely cost nearly twice what your RW did.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : March 22, 2019 11:50 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We were fortunate to attend the last two rally’s. However, I retire June 30th and we are heading to Yellowstone, Glacier National Park on July 1st. Otherwise we would attend the rally.

Posted : March 22, 2019 4:49 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Fantastic. Enjoy

Posted : March 22, 2019 4:53 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks to everyone for the quick response. I think we will look at the 110v Splendide non stackable unit.

Posted : March 22, 2019 4:53 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We bought a 2100XC unit at the end of October/beginning of November. We are full time. It isn't a S&B model for sure, but a lot better than a laundromat.

Posted : March 22, 2019 5:34 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Carl/Patti

I think the Splendide separates are stackable or side by side. So don't use the criteria of only looking at stackables, as I think they're either with the addition of a bracket to stack. We've had the Splendide model TVM63X dryer and washer model ARWXF 129 W for almost 5 years and are pretty pleased with them.

Posted : March 22, 2019 9:16 PM
(@Anonymous)

There was a fella in our montana owners club years back that installed 220 for the Dryer (for those that remember Ozz). Montana put two outlets in the W/D closet. I think he combined them and just had to make sure they came from both sides of the buss in the panel. Downside is, he no longer could dry clothes at a 30A site. I think you also run into trouble if the campground itself doesn't have the right phasing to actually produce 240VAC across the two legs.

With that, We have had the 110V Splendide dryers in RVs since 2007 and to be honest, they do just great! I guess at home we usually run the dryer on a gentle heat for most clothes anyway so it probably is about the same as the Splendide in the RV for most things (except towels and sheets). We have only ever had the stackables (or side by side in our Redwood) and it's pretty amazing what they can do. The Dryers are a large capacity and usually can do a couple of washer loads. I sometimes add the second load in if the first one is not done, set it to timed dry and go about my business and it does it's thing.

Posted : March 23, 2019 9:54 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Is it possible convert the existing dryer outlet (110v) to have it run a 220v home dryer? I know someone that has a DRV that has a 220v dryer. I believe that his came from the factory wired this way.

So to answer your question . ( I am a licensed electrician with 35 year of trade experience) It is possible however the drawback will far out weigh the benefits. With a 50amp 120 / 240 volt service its going to be a balancing act nightmare , the residential drier draw about 22~24 amps at 240 volt , your roof mounted AC units run at about 14 amps each ( so your at about 38 amps each leg without anything else running. Add in a refrigerator at about 4 or 5 amps and a battery charger and your just about MAX safe load . No TV, no microwave, no electric hot water heater, you get the idea. you would NOT need to replace your pane if its the same one I have. You can swap out the main breaker out to a mini tandem two pole ( sold at HD).

Posted : March 25, 2019 6:59 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Just thinking out loud here, but not sure a residential 220 volt dryer would fit into the w/d closets on RWs, it wouldn't have fit in my FB

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : March 25, 2019 11:58 PM
Share: