Flexair Pinbox Rubber Plate Slipping

4 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

A short time ago I saw some posting on the rubber plate slipping and how Lippert was very concerned and was quickly willing to replace it. I have attached a couple photos to verify my understanding of the slipping phenomena.

I wasn't able to edit the orientation of the photos, so please do the best you can.
How serious is this issue? Is it so bad as not to tow the trailer? I personally don't think so.
Thanks for the help.

Steve Blomquist
2017 3401RL

Posted : October 28, 2019 6:08 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Lippert replaced my original failed TriGlide with a Flex Air. After the first 80 mile trip the rubber insert rotated about 20 degrees. I called Lippert and they insisted on replacing the complete hitch.
The new FlexAir had the same problem. So now I use a three pound hammer and a block of wood when necessary to re-position the rubber block. Probably now have 20000 miles since replacement and no problems. Needs adjustment about every 2500 miles.
I was told that the rubber block is held in place by compression (about 100psi) in assembly. My buddy had the same problem and used his tractor bucket to compress the rubber block to disassemble the lower pivoting jaw. He then glued the rubber in place, reassembled and no more problem. Get a hammer and wooden block and don't worry about it too much!

Posted : October 28, 2019 6:53 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks for taking the time to post. I agree this isn't an immediate problem. If the rubber plate were to migrate and depart the hitch entirely the pin would be free to rotate until it hit the lower jaw. It would make a lot of racket but and it would need to be replaced ASAP but still vigilance is key.

Posted : October 29, 2019 11:55 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Might have been me that posted. I called Lippert about the rubber pad moving and they sent me a new pin-box that has been upgraded so that the rubber pad can't move. You'll need various registration numbers/photos but it only took about 2 weeks from starting the process to installing the new pin-box. The hardest part about dealing with Lippert is getting past the automated messages;)
Pin-box weighs about 275lb so not a one person job to replace it. My Redwood is a 2108 340RL

Posted : December 7, 2019 5:48 PM
Share: