OTA tv reception

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Why would tv reception go out in the living room when you turn on the bedroom lights?

Posted : February 14, 2019 9:30 PM
KenA
 KenA
(@kena)
Honorable Member

Ken -

Only you and Donna would encounter an issue like this.

I've got nothing other than a huge LOL.

Be safe.

K&G

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--
"My Redwood; Go anywhere and always be at home."
"The trouble with trouble is it starts as fun"

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - Wayne Gretzky

Posted : February 15, 2019 2:48 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We don't have a problem with the lights, but when the Water Pik is in use, no TV in the living room. It's some type of electrical interference, so in your case it might be just one of the lights causing the problem. Solution will be just a trial and error method.

Posted : February 15, 2019 9:30 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

the antenna booster is located in the bedroom. maybe on the same circuit, loose connection?
good luck

Posted : February 16, 2019 10:01 AM
(@Anonymous)

Why would tv reception go out in the living room when you turn on the bedroom lights?

Hello Kenneth,

This is just my thoughts. It sounds like the tv cable is to close to the electric line going to the bedroom lights. The electric line creates an EMF that the tv cable is picking up. Your tv cable is low voltage and the bedroom lights is higher voltage. Maybe someone else can explain what an EMF is better than me. An EMF is an electrical field outside of the wire.

I hope this helps. I could be all wet about this.
Al

Posted : February 17, 2019 9:27 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

An EMF is generally related to an AC circuit. It is created when the voltage raises since the lights in the coach are DC, the voltage only “raises” 1 time instead of 60 times per second. Still most likely interference of some type. Try removing the bulbs and turning on lights. Then replace bulbs 1 at a time. Loose connection can cause arching which would act as static.

Posted : February 17, 2019 10:06 PM
(@Anonymous)

An EMF is generally related to an AC circuit. It is created when the voltage raises since the lights in the coach are DC, the voltage only “raises” 1 time instead of 60 times per second. Still most likely interference of some type. Try removing the bulbs and turning on lights. Then replace bulbs 1 at a time. Loose connection can cause arching which would act as static.

Hello Will,

Thank you for the explanation on the EMF. I did not know that the lights in the trailer are a dc circuit. I was thinking of my house when it come to lighting.

How many dc volts are the lights in the trailer ? 12 volts ?

Thank you again for your help,
Al

Posted : February 18, 2019 10:18 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Yes they are 12 VDC. They run from the house battery and work without shore power or inverter if so equipped.

Posted : February 18, 2019 12:40 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hello Will,

Thank you for the explanation on the EMF. I did not know that the lights in the trailer are a dc circuit. I was thinking of my house when it come to lighting.

How many dc volts are the lights in the trailer ? 12 volts ?

Thank you again for your help,
Al

Al , every light inside and outside on our RL38 is 12 volts DC. the ceiling fan is 120 volt AC and will NOT run unless shore power or other 120 volt is connect to the trailer.

Posted : February 18, 2019 3:38 PM
Share: