Ethernet Cable

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Has anyone hard wired their coach with Ethernet cable? I've been debating running the cable thru out the coach. On our older computer it stinks that it will only hook up to my 2.4 side of wireless router. All our new stuff will run on the 5g side so much quicker. I think it would help with the dish hopper 3 and computer speed. If you have where did you run the cables ? Thanks in advance , Jeremy

Posted : March 8, 2019 3:28 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I would think a new router be easier, cleaner and maybe less expensive? Not a techie though.

Posted : March 8, 2019 8:04 PM
(@Anonymous)

The underbelly access is easy enough, but getting it up into the slides would be a pain. I would think with the right equipment, wireless is just as fast anymore.

Posted : March 9, 2019 4:10 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I a truly residential home, I agree. Ethernet is the best and will ultimately grow with your needs. However, in my coach I elected to use strong router that pushes 2.4 and 5g. I checked today and I have 12 devices connected. 2 are streaming 1080 video. I see no advantage to Ethernet. The devices that might get Ed interference are on 5ghz so they aren’t easily affected by other channels. Btw, if it’s an older device or laptop just spring for a usb dongle.

Posted : March 10, 2019 3:29 PM
(@Anonymous)

A few years ago I wired our home for ethernet. I find now that I only use one line (from the thermostat), the rest of the lines are unused, all the rest of the electronics are wireless. I would go wireless in the RV.

Posted : March 11, 2019 9:33 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I would upgrade to a new AC1200 WiFi router. It will deliver the same speeds as the wired and is so much easier to use. As the one gentlemen stated you can upgrade your old PC with a new USB Wifi stick to get it up to speed also.

Posted : March 12, 2019 7:58 PM
Share: