Notifications
Clear all

Roof

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@garybender)
Topic starter

On the roof of our 2015 Redwood 36RL where the front cap meets the roof, the caulking material is beginning to show cracks and fissures.   Otherwise the roof is in very good condition.   Anyone have a recommendation of a product to seal these cracks.   I have been looking at a product that has some self-leveling properties that would presumably fill in the cracks instead of simply covering them.  ROG has been an extremely valuable resource in our nearly 4 years of membership.   Hope this new website is able to incorporate the archive material from the old website.  Thanks for your assistance.  

Posted : January 27, 2020 7:45 AM
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)

Gary, I think Piperguy and others have suggested a layer of Eternabond tape over the seams. I had the Redwood techs look at my joints two years ago - same type of cracking in the seal and especially noticeable since they are painted over - and the techs said everything was fine and that it was surface cracking but the seal was still good. Now two years later the cracks have spread a little but still no evidence of moisture penetration.

I will probably use a strip of Eternabond, more for my own peace of mind, and stop overthinking it.

Paul

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

Posted : January 28, 2020 6:45 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Just know that once the Eternabond is applied it's permanent, attempting to remove WILL damage the roof membrane or whatever surface it's stuck to.

If just wanting to refresh the caulking use Dicor self leveling on the flat surfaces applied over existing caulk after cleaning & wiping with denatured alcohol & non self leveling on the edges.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : January 28, 2020 7:34 PM
(@garybender)
Topic starter

Thanks Paul and Danny.  I think I will try the Dicor self-leveling caulk first as the cracks do not appear to be serious at this point in time.  Just don’t want the problem to to get worse and create a leak.  Thanks for your recommendations.  

Posted : January 29, 2020 2:30 PM
(@rob_fla)
Eminent Member

When our caulking between the Front Cap and the Roof Membrane failed (large voids in the caulking) on the way to Texas, air got under the roof membrane and it bellowed up with air all the way back to the first Roof Vent tearing the cap off the roof vent.

We did not know we had a problem until we stopped for the night, that was when I first saw the membrane bellowed up and stretched quite a bit.

We ultimately wound up with a Roof replacement covered under Redwood Warranty.

Posted : February 4, 2020 2:07 AM
Share: