3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
KenA
 KenA
(@kena)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I want to quickly share my experience at the Boondocking Rally at the North Florida Fairgrounds I attended this week.

The rally was put together by Howard and Linda from RV Dreams which mainly caters to full time RVers. It was a very informal event generally designed to simulate a boon docking experience but in a controlled way so people could see how their rigs performed and learn about what best to do to extend your ability to go to places that don't necessarily have full or even any hook ups.

I want to tell you I was very pleased with how my 38FL performed.

Anyway, a couple take aways and a quick synopsis.

• We were very comfortable for 4 days and could have gone another 2 if we really wanted to. We really didn't scrimp on much other than water consumption but only because we used our shower head that has the on/off valve. We still washed dishes, took showers every day and just used the sinks as needed with care.
  • There were a total of 28 rigs including 3 Redwoods. There were also 2 Airstreams, 2 DRVs, 2 Tiffins, 2 Bighorns, 2 Horizons and a number of other singles, but Redwood took the prize being the only rig type that had 3!
  • We arrived with full house batteries (400 Ah Flooded Lead Acid) and full lithium stack for our whole house inverter (another 400 Ah). We used the 200watt solar panels to keep both sets topped off and only ran a generator once on the last morning because we ran down the lithium stack during the party the last night
  • Got hands on experience with a water bladder, a first for me, even though I've had a grey water tote for a couple years. Think I will get one, could come in handy.
  • One of the Redwood's was the current owners of Dave & Ginny's old rig. They have been traveling in it now for about a year and really like it. How funny is that!
  • Was introduced to a relatively new website for reviewing service centers. The UI is pretty basic and the content is limited, because it is just starting, but I think it has potential. I know a lot of people were interested in something like this at last years rally.
  • Took the chance to do some PM including running the generator just to run it since it hasn't been run for more than a month, fill the flood batteries with water and give the solar panels a good clean. Not much to do at the fairgrounds :unsure:

Over all I can say we were happy we attended and would go to another to see the great people we met at this one again. It also felt really good to get confirmation that we are on the right track and our rig is really ready to roll and handle boon docking situations comfortably and we are set to take off for our grand adventures that await.

Ken & Gizzi
Ford 2015 F350 DRW
--
"My Redwood; Go anywhere and always be at home."
"The trouble with trouble is it starts as fun"

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - Wayne Gretzky

Posted : March 18, 2016 9:32 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

We did an RV-Dreams rally to decide if we should/could jump into a full time life. Howard and Linda gave us the tools and encouragement that we needed. We recommend RV-Dreams rallies to everyone.

Posted : March 19, 2016 12:14 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I agree, Howard and Linda of RV Dreams do a great, informative and entertaining rally.
I have been to three of their rally's over the years and enjoyed all of them.
Last Sunday afternoon I did go over to the Boondocking Rally to visit (since I am currently setup in Tallahassee) and to see Howard and Linda and some other friends we have made over the years that were going to be there.
I was surprised to see Ken with his wife and 3 Redwoods at the Rally.
Had a nice visit with everyone there, it looked like all were having a great time and learning a lot from Howard and Linda and each other.

Posted : March 19, 2016 5:15 AM
Share: